• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I am kinda having a yin for a derringer and I know Bond Arms is ok with Maryland because they have a trigger guard. I know that a two shot handgun is not the most practical carry piece. That said I kinda want one in either 45 acp, 38/357, or 9mm as I already have those calibers in house. Anyone own one that can tell me the pros and cons? Anyone know a shop that carries them. I'm in Woodlawn but willing to travel an hour or so.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Shooting the 357 magnum will sting your hand. You will definitely think twice before you pull the trigger. lol

Also, invest on the extended grip, so that you can hold the pistol with 3 fingers instead of 2.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think the Gun Shack in Mt. Airy had one in stock not long ago, worth a look.

I have been wanting a deringer for a while but didn't care for the standard Bond version as it is large. Well, they have come out with the Stinger line recently which is more of what I want, smaller, lighter, and thinner. Currently, out in 9, 380, 22, and 38SPC.

The Stinger is also made in the RS line which is steel rather than an Al frame, which makes it heavier. Not sure if they will offer barrels for the Stinger line like they do the others but I really am fine if I get one in 38 to itch my scratch and for snake use in rare cases.

I think Bond is the way to go as they make good stuff.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Shooting the 357 magnum will sting your hand. You will definitely think twice before you pull the trigger. lol

Also, invest on the extended grip, so that you can hold the pistol with 3 fingers instead of 2.
    Yeah, I was thinking of staying with 38 as I'm not sure I could hang on to a 357, and with such a short barrel it would be worth it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The 357 is a bit of a handful but shooting 38 specials is very pleasant. Very heavy trigger pull and not a target gun by any stretch but fun to shoot and good enough for self defense distances. The trigger guard is removable for a more authentic look

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I am kinda having a yin for a derringer and I know Bond Arms is ok with Maryland because they have a trigger guard. I know that a two shot handgun is not the most practical carry piece. That said I kinda want one in either 45 acp, 38/357, or 9mm as I already have those calibers in house. Anyone own one that can tell me the pros and cons? Anyone know a shop that carries them. I'm in Woodlawn but willing to travel an hour or so.
    I bought one this sunday in 45 acp :thumbsup: i found a nice pocket holster thats practical,if you want i can share their site?!

Last edited:

python

Apr 15, 2010
    For about 3 ounces more, you could own a 5 shot S&W "J" frame that you could actually hit something with and not be standing in their face. They are also very concealable and carry well in a pocket holster. The derringers are not very accurate. They have be thumb cocked, and they only have two rounds. Shown is a S&W 649-2 (38+P).

Attachments

• 20200619_152542.jpg
      20200619_152542.jpg
      117.5 KB · Views: 41
    • 20210612_102820.jpg
      20210612_102820.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 37

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    For about 3 ounces more, you could own a 5 shot S&W "J" frame that you could actually hit something with and not be standing in their face. They are also very concealable and carry well in a pocket holster.

Don't have one, not looking for one, not sure what the OP's purpose is, but really, the two are not interchangeable.

Screenshot_20230318-012822_Chrome.jpg

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Don't have one, not looking for one, not sure what the OP's purpose is, but really, the two are not interchangeable.

View attachment 406401
    I didn't say they were interchangeable, and I wasn't being critical. Just an observation and a few facts. He was looking for opinions. There are small semi-autos that are closer in size to the derringer, as well. I also don't know why he wants ones, but we all buy things we want and don't need.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For about 3 ounces more, you could own a 5 shot S&W "J" frame that you could actually hit something with and not be standing in their face. They are also very concealable and carry well in a pocket holster. The derringers are not very accurate. They have be thumb cocked, and they only have two rounds. Shown is a S&W 649-2 (38+P).

This

Don't get me wrong . Derringer are interesting from historical view . Bond Arms are high quality.

But they are a range toy . That's cool , enjoy .

For for any serious use , nope . A big bore modern Derringer is larger and heavier than an Airweight J Frame, plus any micro or mini semiauto . And the revolvers are pocket autos will put all their rounds to the same POI . More accurate. Faster into action , faster second shot . I don't obsess over hi cap , but even for me , 2 shots vs 5 shots is huge .

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The new Stinger is 12oz, so lighter than most/all J-frames.
    The Stinger RS is a steel frame, so 17oz or so.

Now, I am NOT saying it is a great defensive pistol but not everything we own makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've wanted a derringer for years. Not necessarily for self defense. I am going to try to fondle a 9mm Stinger. I could talk myself into that. Listed as .55 inches wide, that would be nice to have handy in the car and easily moved from pocket to a more convenient access. Plus it's reasonable and in the most plentiful caliber I own.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Like I said its a want, not practical. If carried it would most likely as a bug. Since I was a kid I always thought they were cool.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    They are also available in 45lc/410. Good snake gun if you can deal with the trigger which takes getting used to.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I saw a couple at Freestate this morning.

DelawareGold

Jul 25, 2022
    New Castle, Delaware
    A Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .410, carried in a cross draw holster
    is the weapons best use, as an anti-carjacking device. It is not
    inherently accurate as a point and shoot with a large caliber round.
    Close quarter with shotshell is it's strong suit.

If you can't find one locally, and want one sent to your FFL, I have
    had success at Brazos Moon in Granbury Texas. (817) 579-8202

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom