• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    I'm pretty good with a rifle but I'd probably do more damage with a box of kittens than with my Sig. I was wondering if there were any books that you guys recommend reading to learn about proper shooting technique. I put about 90 rounds through my Sig and was not able to hit a 10 at 25 yards.

Thanks

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Books are fine to start with to explain the fundamentals of pistol shooting, but you really need time on the range with a qualified instructor who can evaluate you.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks for the input so far guys. I've only been to the range once with the new gun. I'll probably step out tonight to put a few rounds in. Going to try moving the target in a little closer. But I just realized i made a typo. I meant to say 25 feet, not yards. Was watching the game when i wrote this.

So does anyone have any recommendations for authors and titles?

coolfrmn

Nov 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    DIDO what ProShooter said!!!

Books are fine to start with to explain the fundamentals of pistol shooting, but you really need time on the range with a qualified instructor who can evaluate you.

But untill then, work on the fundamentals while starting out close to the target building confidence.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    That's a pretty big difference for pistol ranges. You can also dry fire your SIG between range sessions.

Jim

Do your dry firing in a sterile room. Not sterile like a hospital OR, just absolutely NO F'ing ammo. Not in a mag on the other side of the room. None. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

Put in a "snap cap", preferably a bright red one instead of a spent case, to protect the firing pin.

When you are done with the dry firing drills, say out loud: "I am completed with dry firing this weapon. I will treat this weapon as if it were loaded."
    Will you feel silly? Maybe. You'll feel a lot less silly than putting a bullet through the wall and into God-knows-what.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I meant to say 25 feet, not yards.

If you are having trouble accurately hitting a target at 25 feet, forget the book. Spend the money on range time with an instructor. You probably have a host of difficulties that can fixed in an hour with a good instructor.

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    I agree with the concept of getting instruction. An instructor is great. however, if money is tight you can always ask the range officers at your local range as they can be of great help. I know the guys at Cresaps in Frederick actually teach some NRA classes so i like picking their brains.

Also, before buying a book use your google-fu and search for Massad Ayoob. He has an article on shooting handguns that could help you get started and its free.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    At the risk of angering some of the other instructors, I know when I am on the range shooting for myself, I often find myself 'coaching/instructing' w/o the meter running.

Most of the other instructors I have taught do the same. I think it is just part of what makes a good instructor or a good shooter in general: we want people to enjoy shooting and to be safe.

By the same token, there are a lot of good shooters who would make excellent instructors who will often spend time with a novice shooter. I some did with me when I first started.

If you belong to a club, ask around and I am sure you will find someone who is willing to spend some time help out.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I think most new(er) shooters make the mistake of NOT using a bullseye target. First, you must be able to group your shots, then worry about where the shots are grouping.
    Using a bullseye target gives you a much better point of reference.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    Practice, practice, practice. Get some instruction, as practicing with improper form only makes for memorizing the wrong way to do things.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Attachments

• chart.jpg
      chart.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 111
    Last edited:

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    At 25 feet, you should be putting EVERY round in a 6 inch circle. Almost without exception, my students in Basic Pistol Class are putting every round in a 5 inch circle at 30 feet.

I suggest you put up a sheet of newspaper, and a 2 inch black dot in the center. Then fire 10 rounds at the bull. Go to the target and look at the holes. If they are in a cluster, but not on the bull- it is the gun, not you. So adjust the sights. If the holes are all over or missing- it is probably you and practice is required.

Remember, if you practice poor technique, you will become an expert at poor technique. Practice good technique and your scores will improve.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Just wanted to know how bad for the gun it is when you dry fire. Maybe I should put something in the chamber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom