• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Been watching Border Wars on NatGeo for the past couple hours. First off, These guys are under paid ! The guys running around the desert chasing smugglers are some of the hardest working people in law enforcement.

So now, being a gun guy I'm noticing the weapons they use. AR's with varying optics. A2's with 3x ACOG some had A3's with EoTechs. I got to thinking about what I would choose if I were doing that job.

Setting all the agency rules they have to follow and thinking about how they operate. Lots of vehicle dismount, wide open spaces & lots of hiking. What would be the optimal rifle for use as a CBP agent ?

I personally would go with my Recce style rifle with a TR24. Due to weight, contact distances and accuracy. I thought about a MWS, but weight may be a bit much for the long distances they travel on foot.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I'd go with a 16" with an Accupoint. Make it a mid-length with a lightweight profile barrel while your at it. If have to run around in that climate I want less weight for sure.

Edit for clairity: A TR24 as well, just enough to scan ridges and whatnot..

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Wife and I have been watching it too for almost 2hrs. Damn good show, and they are definitely under paid for the crap they go thru.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i'd suck it up and carry a M1a with some sort of composite stock and .308 ACOG. IF permitted.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In terms of climate and terrain, how different is the Southwestern desert from Iraq?

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    In terms of climate and terrain, how different is the Southwestern desert from Iraq?

The Southwestern desert is more rocky, the sand isn't the consistency of talcum powder. Everything in Iraq was coated in a thin layer of dust...you just got used to it. Never was like that when I went through the schoolhouse at Fort Huachuca.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Do you think they were AR's or M4's? If the drug cartels are smuggling in drugs wouldn't they have some pretty good firepower to go with those drugs? I would also want something that makes a bigger hole in someone than a 5.56. Does the Geneva convention apply if you are fighting on your own soil against a non-government group?

That's got to be a scary job. Out there with only 1 or 2 other agents against and unknown enemy? Going from hunting the bad guy to humanitarian mission? Definitely underpaid for the value they add to this country.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    M1A, Rem 5R, AI .338, Sako TRG .338, then a nice location, scan the area, may not be too portable, but.. your opponents will be armed to lay down an area of lead, bullets..their resources are? And do they have some one to dictate as to what they will be armed with?..... but have to agree they are under paid for what they do..

-Rock

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For getting in and out of vehicles and higher powered ammo, I'd pick a 10" SBR in 6.8 SPC with SSA's combat loaded 115gr SMKs. A good 1-4X scope with lit reticules, and you're all set.

Jim

BeachCop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wall didn't work out so well last time. Remember the General Contractor was busted for using illegal immigrant laborers? Parts of the wall were built several feet into Mexican territory. Thats what they get for a "no compete" contract I guess.

Besides, in California they are just going around it. They recently found a half a dozen or so pangas beached at Camp Pendleton. They are made of wood and only sit a foot or two above the waterline so they are hard to detect. They also landed a bunch just outside of LaJolla

But anyway I digress..... Wilson Combat has the contract to provide a modified version of the Remington 870 with a 14" barrel.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt.htm

And another thing...You know the Border Patrol isn't confined to the US. They were training the El Salvadoran Police and also running Operation Blast Furnace in Peru. They are all over the world.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    The Wall didn't work out so well last time. Remember the General Contractor was busted for using illegal immigrant laborers? Parts of the wall were built several feet into Mexican territory. Thats what they get for a "no compete" contract I guess.

Besides, in California they are just going around it. They recently found a half a dozen or so pangas beached at Camp Pendleton. They are made of wood and only sit a foot or two above the waterline so they are hard to detect. They also landed a bunch just outside of LaJolla

But anyway I digress..... Wilson Combat has the contract to provide a modified version of the Remington 870 with a 14" barrel.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt.htm

And another thing...You know the Border Patrol isn't confined to the US. They were training the El Salvadoran Police and also running Operation Blast Furnace in Peru. They are all over the world.

The berlin wall worked pretty well. Its not just the wall, its how you monitor it. It slows them down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom