• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Il
    It's the truth, UD. The only way to know, for sure, is test it like everything else.

CCI SV is one of the most accurate loads I've shot in the Sako Quad Varmint, but the Anschutz didn't like it one bit. Go figure. That's why I won't be surprised at all if the CCI Blazer shoots sub-MOA 50-yard groups. There's just no way to predict how rimfire ammo will perform from one rifle to the next.

Spot on.

Since it was mentioned, I'll say this about Blazer. It has never been the best shooting ammunition in anything I've ever tried it in. But my own personal experience, in Everything I've ever tried it in, it's shot at least reasonably well.

With that thought in mind, I gladly bought a case of it a few years back. Decent stuff IMO. I think I paid $179 for it, if my memory serves me. At that price I thought it was a steal.

The good ol' days...

Cowpokey

N3WB
    Dec 9, 2015
    Harford County
    I bought a couple different lots of SK Rifle Match, expecting it to be "way better" than CCI SV, and was not impressed with it out of my 10/22 Target with the 20" stainless "spiral" (outside) barrel. So I put the SKRM back on the shelf.

When I got my Vudoo, I just KNEW it was going to be great with the SKRM...it wasn't, with either lot. It wasn't horrible, but not good enough.

A buddy told me to try some SK Pistol Match, so I bought half a case of it (at $60/brick IIRC), and it was really good, way better than SKRM out to 100 yards...that's about as far as you can get at the local outdoor range (Elk Neck). So, I bought another case of SKPM last fall. It's just as good for consistency, but about 9fps faster than the first half case.

I put a box (50rd) of SKPM though my new 1416AV (64) at the local indoor range, and it would put 10 rounds in the same hole at 25 yards...I know 25 yards, and being indoors isn't much of a challenge, but it was still impressive. I put some Norma TAC-22 and CCI-SV though the 64 the same day, no scrubbing the barrel, just reloaded and shot them. I did "re-season" the barrel with 10 rounds before trying for groups again, and the CCI and Norma were both good, just not as good as the SKPM. If you find some SKPM, give it a try.

This weekend we're hoping to get back to Elk Neck and try the 64 and 54 out to 100 yards, SKPM will definitely be in the mix, probably a box of each lot for each rifle.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I bought a couple different lots of SK Rifle Match, expecting it to be "way better" than CCI SV, and was not impressed with it out of my 10/22 Target with the 20" stainless "spiral" (outside) barrel. So I put the SKRM back on the shelf.

When I got my Vudoo, I just KNEW it was going to be great with the SKRM...it wasn't, with either lot. It wasn't horrible, but not good enough.

A buddy told me to try some SK Pistol Match, so I bought half a case of it (at $60/brick IIRC), and it was really good, way better than SKRM out to 100 yards...that's about as far as you can get at the local outdoor range (Elk Neck). So, I bought another case of SKPM last fall. It's just as good for consistency, but about 9fps faster than the first half case.

I put a box (50rd) of SKPM though my new 1416AV (64) at the local indoor range, and it would put 10 rounds in the same hole at 25 yards...I know 25 yards, and being indoors isn't much of a challenge, but it was still impressive. I put some Norma TAC-22 and CCI-SV though the 64 the same day, no scrubbing the barrel, just reloaded and shot them. I did "re-season" the barrel with 10 rounds before trying for groups again, and the CCI and Norma were both good, just not as good as the SKPM. If you find some SKPM, give it a try.

This weekend we're hoping to get back to Elk Neck and try the 64 and 54 out to 100 yards, SKPM will definitely be in the mix, probably a box of each lot for each rifle.

Bad weather has put me way behind schedule. I was hoping to have tested several more brands of ammo by now, including some 100-yard testing, but Mother Nature hasn't been cooperating. Hopefully that'll change soon!

I really liked the way RWS Rifle Match performed, so I ordered a brick of it for $99.00. SK Pistol Match is going right now for around $13-14 per box and I'll probably order two or three to try-out first before ordering more.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    OtqSOyw.jpg

Here's hoping I wasn't the only one who was able to get out and take advantage of some truly excellent shooting conditions today. Slightly overcast days with no wind have been so rare, lately. that I wasn't about to let a slight chance of rain discourage me in the least. I got some great results the last time I shot RWS Rifle Match and was eager to try it again to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. God knows I need the practice, too. Truth is, I'm still learning how to shoot this rifle.

Unlike my Sako Quad Varmint, the Anschutz 1710 isn't nearly as forgiving when I drop the ball on the basics of good marksmanship: breathing and trigger management. With its single-stage trigger I set at 2.25 lbs. the Sako's is a lot different than the Anschutz's 5109 two-stage match trigger and that's the learning-curve I'm experiencing at the moment. Trigger time helps and that's all I really headed to the range to do.

xdA7lip.jpg

Cloudy skies and the slight threat of showers meant that I had the whole place to myself for the time being.

TuHlzjJ.jpg

RWS Rifle Match, 50 yards

Like usual, started with barrel fouling in the center target. The last load I shot before today was Eley Team, which didn't shoot bad, but it had an entirely different POI than either the SK Long Range or Lapua Midas + I also shot during the last range trip. The first five went low and slightly left. Adjusted the scope and shot another 10 to re-zero.

vW2wZXu.jpg

Best five shot group

TT9kJcP.jpg

Best ten shot group

Ten shot groups at 50 yards are a challenge and this rifle proved today that it's up to it whenever I am. I didn't measure it but, I'm guessing that group is either < .2" or right there abouts. Problem is, it requires a deft hand and the concentration skills of a surgeon to shoot it, like that, on a consistent basis. I'm a geezer, with recently restored vision (after surgery) and my mind...tends to wander and get easily distracted (squirrel!) the older I get. Trigger time helps.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    uGbYc48.jpg

Going to shoot an NRA Critters Match tomorrow morning with Cowpokey from Hartford County and decided to try a few shots from standing, unsupported position. Needed to check zero and take a few practice shots since I couldn't remember the last time I didn't shoot off sandbags while seated behind a bench. It was probably the last time I went hunting at my brother's place in VA five years ago.

84pZjtO.jpg

Was accompanied by the Mrs. who volunteered to be official target re-setter and photographer for the occasion. We set a few up at 25 yards and took a few shots. Not bad. Zero is fine. Here's a pic of a Ram at the moment of impact:

F56wxdI.jpg

Let me tell ya, standing unsupported ain't easy! I was able to hit more than I missed but, I had to crank the magnification all the way back to minimum to keep the crosshairs on-target.

Cowpokey

N3WB
    Dec 9, 2015
    Harford County
    uGbYc48.jpg

Going to shoot an NRA Critters Match tomorrow morning with Cowpokey from Hartford County and decided to try a few shots from standing, unsupported position. Needed to check zero and take a few practice shots since I couldn't remember the last time I didn't shoot off sandbags while seated behind a bench. It was probably the last time I went hunting at my brother's place in VA five years ago.

84pZjtO.jpg

Was accompanied by the Mrs. who volunteered to be official target re-setter and photographer for the occasion. We set a few up at 25 yards and took a few shots. Not bad. Zero is fine. Here's a pic of a Ram at the moment of impact:

F56wxdI.jpg

Let me tell ya, standing unsupported ain't easy! I was able to hit more than I missed but, I had to crank the magnification all the way back to minimum to keep the crosshairs on-target.
    Good shooting yesterday, thanks for the invite. Now I need to find more of these matches.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    What a gorgeous rifle. Arguably one of the best 22 rifles you can own. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks! It sure is a lot of fun to shoot.

AUNi0pE.jpg

Yesterday morning was supposed to be overcast with a light breeze and that's exactly what I had for about the first 30 minutes or so. Then, the sun came out with a vengeance, wind started gusting, and the temperature rose right in the middle of testing some Wolf Match Extra. I looked over my shoulder and there's a big old cluster of dark clouds forming overhead, like I'm about to get hit by a gully-washer any minute. Finish shooting my target, though, before packing-up and skedaddling.

3AZzyK2.jpg

Wolf Match Extra, 50 yards.

Started with the usual 10-15 shot fouling group in the center target before shooting 5 each on the corners. It groups very similarly to SK Standard Plus and Eley Target. If I could still get it for $78 per 500-round brick, I'd probably buy a bunch.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Does anyone know if the 1710 HB Annie comes in left handed version?

I don't see one listed on the web site but you could contact Anschutz North America and ask them.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thanks, Zzzzz_man.

The only left handed Annie I could find was 1727 F model. The original poster's Annie is absolutely gorgeous!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    9ZjdB0z.jpg

Apologies for neglecting to update this thread since July. I changed jobs a few weeks after my last update. Hated to do it but, 62 years-old is the age that many technology companies start pushing employees out the door and the one I worked for since 2007 was no exception. They started their nonsense with me back in Spring, so I finally updated my Resume, put myself out there on LinkedIn and within a couple of months I landed a great new gig with a company who values experience and doing business more than diversity celebrations and adding preferred pronouns to e-mail signature-lines.

l55VVVM.jpg

I haven't been doing much in the way of load testing since buying a few bricks of RWS Rifle Match earlier this Summer. I did recently try some of the 'new-and-improved' red box Norma Tac22 and it was, meh, OK. It shot about the same way that SK Standard Plus and Eley Target (yellow box) shoots. Not bad. Not great. I swapped with a friend for four boxes of Norma USA Target (white box).

LvA5YXh.jpg

50 yards, 10 fouling in the center, 5 each in the corners

I never tried the previous, black box, version of Norma Tac22 so I can't really compare it but, considering how well SK Rifle, SK Standard Plus, RWS Rifle Match and Wolf Match Extra perform better for a couple $ more per box, I'm going to stick with what seems to work best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom