• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    After meeting with our financial planner last week, and having a boat purchase in the 3-5 year range, I bought a boat over the weekend. My buddies dad bought the boat new in 2002, and between then and 2011 put 105 hours on it. Winter of 2011 it was winterized and sat until Saturday.

Got the boat for about a quarter of what it's valued at. We flushed the fuel system, and the upper 2 stroke oil reservoir. Got the bilge pump, live well pump, gps, fish finder and trim working. After putting fresh fuel in with star from fuel system treatment, and fresh oil, it fired right up.

Got nothing thru the cooling system, so we shut it down quickly. Ordered a new water pump, spark plugs, lower unit oil, fuel line/bulb set up, and a fuel filter. After getting that stuff in, and getting the motor running smooth, it'll get a new bottom coat, new tires for the trailer, registered and I'll put it in for a trial run. After that, I'll be rigging up the trolling rods and off she goes!

Pretty excited. Fishing is what I grew up doing, and as much as this is for me and my wife, it's for my father also. Proud to say at 25 I'm able to do something like this for him. He and his father had a Grady white, and fished nearly every weekend until his dad's death, which still crushes my dad to this day. So this is very much for him.

I plan on keeping this updated as much as I can. Also looking for a name for it. Throw some ideas out!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Nice boat

Obama-bucks-animated-money-gif.gif

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Biggest expense in a boat are depreciation and rot. If you got it for little money, you dont have to worry about depreciation. If you keep it on dry land and take care of it, you won't see the rot.

Enjoy !

Oh, and dont put a name on it and by god dont call yourself 'captain' :)

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Biggest expense in a boat are depreciation and rot. If you got it for little money, you dont have to worry about depreciation. If you keep it on dry land and take care of it, you won't see the rot.

Enjoy !

Oh, and dont put a name on it and by god dont call yourself 'captain' :)

It gets a name. Doesn't feel right without one.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Got the boat for about a quarter of what it's valued at.
    This is outstanding! You're also willing and able to inspect and maintain the boat yourself - saving even more money!

I have two Jet Skis and a boat that I've purchased the same way. I enjoy using them and will end up selling them for a profit when I finish with them.

That is a great looking boat! Congratulations.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    MAKE SURE you are treating the fuel, at the very least when you put it up for the winter.

I had a new(er) Merc, (4 stroke), real pain in the ass with ethanol fuel.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    That boat is too small for a name. You'll just end up being that guy at the ramp.

Congrats on the boat. Up until this spring, I've had one for 25 years. Great times ahead.

Too small for a name?? That guy?? :sad20:

No boat is too small for a name!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Sold my boat this week. Survey and Sea Trial on Wednesday and Thursday. Of course it ain't really sold till the check clears but........
    Good bye Zig Zag. First time I have been boatless since 1970.
    I'll really miss the good times and the bills.
    May be time to buy a new Shotgun.

Attachments

• Boatcrop.jpg
      Boatcrop.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 503

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Boat Names. If it was just for you and your dad, I'd suggest "Fish-N-Chicks". Since your wife may be displeased with this, maybe "Lord Chum" or just simply "Fishful Thinking".

I was also gonna suggest "A One Anna Tuna", but then you would need a bigger boat. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom