• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Note: didn't realize that the title was misspelled. Sorry!

I have wanted to take my parents to the range when they came over to help watch over my son. However, I was tied up with housework and other things. I finally put everything aside and did it last Saturday.

Both Dad and Mom had some shooting experience way before I was born. Dad served his mandatory two years in the Taiwan Army. He was in intimate terms with the M1 Garand. Furthermore, he was selected for NCO training and had the chance to shoot many other infantry weapons.

Mom did not have to serve, but she had to take military education classes in highschool. Part of the course was a familiarization range trip, and to this day, she remembers the recoil from the Type 38 Arisaka she shot.

So, strictly speaking, the only new shooter is my 6-year-old son. He was so thrilled that we will go shoot real guns, I didn't think we can hold him back behind the firing line. So, I took a lot of time the previous evening to drill fundamental safety rules inside his head. I also gave him a practice session in aiming.

DSC05053.JPG

None of my guns were really suitable to the young and the old. My AR15 with EOTech 512 would have been OK in terms of ease of use and light recoil, but I was totally out of .223 ammo. So, aside from the Browning Buck Mark, I decided to take the Savage Mk II FV with 5~15x scope as the primary instruction tool. The M1 Garand was for my Dad to relive his army days. My son did take an immediate interest on the Garand, though.

DSC05054.JPG

My usual choice of range is Hap Baker, but at this time of the year, it might have taken hours to get on a lane. So, I decided to try our luck at Cresap. The turnout was unusually light for a Saturday afternoon right before deer season. We got ourselves a rifle position right away.

I put him on the bench with the Mk. II FV right after I verified its zero. In hindsight, a scoped rifle isn't the best tool to each young shooters. I could not get him to figure out the right position just yet. Still, he had a lot of fun, and wasn't intimidated by the noise and recoil at all.

Dad said he could not the 50-yard target clearly, so the scope actually helped. I only needed to coach him on the proper eye relief. The 5-shot group slightly above the bulls-eye was his. Flyers were from my son.

IMG_1583.JPG

For someone who had never touched a real gun in half a century, my Mom really surprised me. She put 4 of her first 5 shots on the bulls-eye. The next group shifted to the left, but still at a decent size. Those two extra holes were probably my son's doing, too.

IMG_1584.JPG

My Dad declined my offer to shoot the M1 Garand. His eyes would not allow him to use iron sights anymore. My son loved the sight and sound of big guns, though, and asked to fire it. I ended up shouldering and aiming the weapon myself, and letting him pull the trigger.

After the ceasefire, we moved on to the pistol range. My son was having a blast with the Buck Mark, until a spent casing hit his hand. He wasn't seriously burned or anything, but he wanted to go back shooting "safer" rifles. When I told him that I've already packed up the long guns for the day, he actually had tears in his eyes. Everyone around must have thought that he was terrified to be there, without knowing that he was crying because he couldn't get enough.

I also had my parents on the pistol lane, and they each took 10 shots at 10 yards with the Buck Mark. Obviously, there was an informal contest going on between the two.

This was my Mom's very first time with a handgun. She was not able to establish a stable aim.

IMG_1586.JPG

My Dad grouped a lot better, but the POI was off. I forgot to ask him whether he shot handguns in the Army or not.

IMG_1587.JPG

My parents were quite apprehensive about me taking up such a dangerous hobby, and having guns in the house. I believe that this range trip helped them take a more positive view. In no small measures, the good people at Cresap helped a lot even if they didn't realize it.

I am also proud to say that my son thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and wanted more. He also behaved quite well. I think I've gotten myself a range buddy.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    Well done DAD!
    You did everything right and others had fun in a safe environment.
    Put your head high and keep it there as your childrens father kicks-ass.

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    What a Rootin Tootin Shootin Family, this is what parenting is all about. Your parents sound so terrific and your son is awesome. Keep up the good work, you are going down the right path !

:thumbsup: this is an event that will be fondly recalled by all :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom