• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Doesn't surprise me at all. Some councils probably decided to buy more than they need (or sell excess) and sell it to raise funds.

If I remember from my days as a scout it starts "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty ...."

Here is a quote from the Federal Ammo Application from 2013 (emphasis added):

"This ammunition is not for resale, and may only be used by youth shooters participating in those programs. Any abuse of the program, including reselling or diverting ammo to non program uses is strictly prohibited, and should be reported to Federal Premium Ammunition immediately so appropriate legal action may be taken."

The application also asks:
    "Minimum rounds: Your honest lowest number of rounds to limp through 2013"

Here is a link to that document:
    http://4h.msue.msu.edu/uploads/resources/Ammo_Application_2013_Youth_Shooting_Sports_Allocation.pdf

Here is a quote from Ryan Bronson head of Federal Conservation Programs in a letter to Youth Shooting Sports Leaders (emphasis added):

"You will need to provide confirmation of your program’s active status by providing some level of proof- the application explains what we are looking for. Be complete, and provide more info rather than less if you are in doubt. Independent programs are the hardest to confirm their legitimacy, and if we are in doubt your application will probably be rejected. Prove to us that the ammo will be used for an educational program, and not end up for sale at a gun show next weekend."

And a link to that document:
    http://www.tx4hnaturalresources.blogspot.com/2013/04/federal-ammunition-allocation-program.html

The seller added a claim to the auction that this was from a "production overrun" but based on the above statements by Federal I find the idea that federal is selling boy scout overruns hard to believe.

The seller also did not accept the bid of $55 per brick because it didn't meet his reserve of $66 per brick he was looking for.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Shameful and yet I'm sure they'll be out begging for more this year if supplies are still scarce. Should've stashed it away for the next "dry spell" if it is truly extra. Or offered it to another troop/district that didn't order enough. Hope Federal notices.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They always buy slightly more than they need because it would be terrible if they ran out halfway through the summer. However, they are supposed to hold on to it (NCAC does) for future use.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I'm a little bummed, I donated 2000+ rounds this past summer for local programs.
    I suppose that I would do it again, but this sort of business always leaves a bad taste.
    DocAitch

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I'm a little bummed, I donated 2000+ rounds this past summer for local programs.
    I suppose that I would do it again, but this sort of business always leaves a bad taste.
    DocAitch

I, like you, donated about 1K rounds to the 4H shooting sports program. But I know the person running it and he wouldn't do this. I know they had a little left over and he still has it but will need more for this coming year. What burns me is that the 4H had access to this program but the heads at the MD. office wouldn't cut any loose to the local clubs they kept it for their tournaments.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I coulda swore I posted in this thread before...... interesting

Anyway Federal/CCI took care of Carroll County 4H HotShots this year.

I hope to do it again next year.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I, like you, donated about 1K rounds to the 4H shooting sports program. But I know the person running it and he wouldn't do this. I know they had a little left over and he still has it but will need more for this coming year. What burns me is that the 4H had access to this program but the heads at the MD. office wouldn't cut any loose to the local clubs they kept it for their tournaments.

Uh.....

Our club got ammo from the federal/CCI program.

What folks at the state level are you talking about. I know the Shooting Sports coordinator at the state level.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I learned something about taking a Scout troop on a shooting weekend, it's almost impossible to do.

1. You need a range. This is the easy part, the local Scout camp provides rifles, targets and cleaning supplies.
    2. Staff. The troop needs to arrange for a RSO and NRA Instructor. The Council says they can help with that, maybe.
    3. Ammo. We have to provide 22lr ammo. I've been trying to buy ammo through Cabelas using Slickguns alerts, they're always sold out.

It would be easier to just go camping!

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I learned something about taking a Scout troop on a shooting weekend, it's almost impossible to do.

1. You need a range. This is the easy part, the local Scout camp provides rifles, targets and cleaning supplies.
    2. Staff. The troop needs to arrange for a RSO and NRA Instructor. The Council says they can help with that, maybe.
    3. Ammo. We have to provide 22lr ammo. I've been trying to buy ammo through Cabelas using Slickguns alerts, they're always sold out.

It would be easier to just go camping!

If lack of .22 ammo is the only thing stopping you from taking a troop to the range for an event where they will be trained by certified instructors, I think that a posting here might be able to solve that problem for you.

Also - Cabellas right now:

http://www.gunbot.net/go/106230

Many of us here believe that good experiences with firearms (with trained instructors) at a young age is critical for the youth of America, and will gladly assist in the procuring of ammo for established organizations (like a BSA troop) if it is required.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Uh.....

Our club got ammo from the federal/CCI program.

What folks at the state level are you talking about. I know the Shooting Sports coordinator at the state level.

I don't know is name. Just going by what I was told by one of the Mont. Co. leaders. They couldn't get any for their program. That's the reason he was trying to get some.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    If lack of .22 ammo is the only thing stopping you from taking a troop to the range for an event where they will be trained by certified instructors, I think that a posting here might be able to solve that problem for you.

Also - Cabellas right now:

http://www.gunbot.net/go/106230

Many of us here believe that good experiences with firearms (with trained instructors) at a young age is critical for the youth of America, and will gladly assist in the procuring of ammo for established organizations (like a BSA troop) if it is required.

Thanks!
    The Cabelas link shows they are sold out.
    The Scout Camp uses a local gun shop to supply them for their summer camp shooting program. I spoke with that shop back in October, hopefully they will come through. We have the range scheduled for March. Maybe things will ease up by then.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Read post #101 and the linked documents.

What makes you think I didn't read them?

The post I quoted was blaming it on councils selling off ammo at a profit.

My statement was that an individual took the ammo.

Big difference between the two.

Yes the council was supposed to ask for the minimum they needed to get through 2013, but its still possible they ordered in good faith then had lowerr than expected attendance at camp and lower number of shooters so some left over ammo.

Yes a scout should be trustworthy and shouldn't steal ammo and resell it. Not every individual that works at a scout camp follows the scout oath and law 100% of the time. Welcome to the real world.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I would not point a finger at the Boy Scouts or a leader from one of their camps. First the ammo for sale is listed as" Federal Target Champion 714 22 long rifle ammo" and the linked paperwork from Federal says the 2013 ammo will be the "Federal Champion 510 load" There is no way to know where or when this ammo was purchased and how did this FFL get his hands on it to sell. I am pretty sure the Scouts have nothing to do with that sale on Gunbroker.
    Also reading post #101 and the linked documents did not show me anything showing the Scouts were behind that sale.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The linked documents clearly say that Scout ammunition is not for resale. The ammo displayed on gun broker is clearly marked Boy Scouts. Those two facts are irreconcilable without explanation.

Many people donated and sold at cost ammunition to various scout and other youth shooting programs to help them keep shooting during the shortage, which is continuing and there are still youth shooting groups having trouble finding ammo and asking for help. You will probably see more of this next summer shooting season.

Federal and ATK stepped up to help youth shooters and sold 20,000,000 rounds at a discount with the intention it would be shot by youth shooters not resold for $660 a case. I am not complaining about people who stand in line at Walmart to buy ammo to resell at ridiculous prices that is free enterprise. But someone is trying to make a huge profit on the generosity of some .22 manufacturers to the Boy Scouts and youth shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom