• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Something alot of people already knew but I just found out. Did my homework, got an Uberti 1858 new model Army and all the trimmings. Just had my first trip to the range.

Things to like:
    Flames
    Lots of smoke
    Made me feel like Lewis AND Clark
    No pesky brass to pick up

I love this new aspect of the hobby!!!! :party29:

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
      IMG_0278.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 461
    • IMG_0279.jpg
      IMG_0279.jpg
      100.6 KB · Views: 460
    • IMG_0280.jpg
      IMG_0280.jpg
      105.8 KB · Views: 456

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Good schoosting.

Note: many ranges won't let you charge directly from your flask if that's what you were doing (don't see an intermediary container in the picture).

Also, get a loading stand. It makes things a whole lot easier.

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Nice shooting. :thumbsup:
    I'm a huge fan of guns like this but I'm pretty sure i'd blow myself up trying to use it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Great shooting. Make sure you clean it with hot and I prefer soapy water first. I just scrub everything in the bucket and for long guns immerse the back of the barrel and pump it up into the barrel with a patched jag. This neutralizes the corrosive salts from the powder and caps. After that clean and oil it normally and remember to blow out the nipples with caps or compressed air before loading to keep from fouling your charge. Welcome to the smoking section.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    B1web: Good shooting! BP is a hoot, idnit?

Note: many ranges won't let you charge directly from your flask if that's what you were doing (don't see an intermediary container in the picture).

Ranges don't let you fill from a flask with an open spout. That spout has a cutoff that allows it to work as a measure. You invert it, plug it with your thumb, and hit the button to fill the spout with powder. When you release the button and turn it back up, as long as the spout is sized to the right charge, you now have just the right amount of powder to dump in the chamber. There's no chance to overcharge the cylinder and much less chance of a spill.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    B1web: Good shooting! BP is a hoot, idnit?

Ranges don't let you fill from a flask with an open spout. That spout has a cutoff that allows it to work as a measure. You invert it, plug it with your thumb, and hit the button to fill the spout with powder. When you release the button and turn it back up, as long as the spout is sized to the right charge, you now have just the right amount of powder to dump in the chamber. There's no chance to overcharge the cylinder and much less chance of a spill.

Thanks, I know what it was when I wrote.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    What powder r u using? Some are a great deal less corrosive. They all measure the same way. Just remember black powder charges are volume, not weight based.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I shot a BP revolver for the first time about a month ago. It was a ton of fun. He had a really need bench that held tbe gun in place while loading. I could see th at being a worthwhile investment.

Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    BP is the best! Regarding your new cap and ball, that is some good shooting, alright. Glad you are having fun. Wait until you clean it!! That's fun!!

I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom