• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oather

Oct 19, 2009
    http://www.examiner.com/x-30265-Detroit-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d4-The-tide-turns-in-the-battle-for-gun-rights-as-the-Brady-Campaign-withers-away

The 2010 election cycle is still ongoing, but the numbers look no better: So far only $2,500 has been raised and just $4,545 spent.

Browsing through the charts and information at the Center for Responsive Politics shows fewer gun control advocates willing to spend their own money on that agenda. In the 2000 election year cycle 320 individual donors gave a total of $329,996. Contrast that to 2008 where three donors donated a total of $15,000.

So far, for the 2010 election cycle, only one donor has made a single contribution of $2,500.

Best news I've heard this year!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I suspect it's mainly the bad economy and the vanishing of disposable wealth caused by the market collapse, but it may also be that with civilization on the brink of economic collapse, people are finally waking up to the realization that even if they don't like guns, they might find themselves needing them.

jehu

May 23, 2005
    I suspect it's mainly the bad economy and the vanishing of disposable wealth caused by the market collapse, but it may also be that with civilization on the brink of economic collapse, people are finally waking up to the realization that even if they don't like guns, they might find themselves needing them.

This is on target!!:party29:

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009

I'm not going to necessarily disagree with you, but I'm going to put my rose-colored glasses on and say that I think it is that people are realizing that the measures backed by the Brady's have failed to make anyone safer and are starting to realize that they are full of horse-s**t.

But then, I try to maintain a generally positive outlook, while preparing for the worst...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We have to understand that the anti-gun establishment has NEVER been a populist movement of the masses, involving thousands (in fact not even hundreds of people).

The hard core anti gun organizations are very small and inbred groups with maybe a few dozen people actively involved nationwide. Doesn't it surprise you that the only people that the news can ever come up with to quote are Hennigan, Horowitz and Helmke?

Take a look at their voodoo research. It's an academic circle jerk of them citing each other's statistics.

One only has to look at the hearings in Annapolis as a microcosm of the larger national scene to see that, frankly, NO ONE really gives two shits about these organizations. Even here in one of the most anti-gun states in the country, the best that they can do is to get Daniel Webster from Johns Hopkins to come in and testify (and then get his ass handed to him) in addition to some old man whose kid got offed by a guy with a gun 20 years ago.

The anti-gun organizations have always been like this and mostly likely will continue to do so for the near term.

Unfortunately, a complicit media continues to give them an undue amount of coverage and leads the masses to believe that the good and noble groups are populist and grassroots efforts to fight the evil NRA :rolleyes:

We're winning and it's killing them.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    This wasn't Brady overall, it was just their tax-exempt arm. I looked at their structure last week (for another thread) and just like the tax-exempt NRA arm, this one is much smaller than the main Brady Bunch organization. The main body of Brady does not need to report numbers because they are not asking tax exemption for their work.

So they might be strong in the main group, where donations are not reported. But I hope this does suggest the main group is also down, though. You don't see them advertise anymore...it's basically them in front of friendly legislatures trying to get on the news. That could be a sign they are indeed short on cash all around.

And like Norton said, the number of people who will actually put money on the line for these groups is small. Our side is comprised of many thousands of individual donors where theirs has been traditionally funded by fewer large ones. At least in this respect, we are winning.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I suspect it's mainly the bad economy and the vanishing of disposable wealth caused by the market collapse,

NRA Political Victory Fund
    1999-2000 $17,884,202
    2001-2002 $10,486,283
    2003-2004 $12,773,270
    2005-2006 $11,245,144
    2007-2008 $15,331,781
    2009-2010 $11,683,044 THROUGH 4/30... Still have until 12/31 to take contributions for this period.

I don't think the economy is affecting donations. I think people just stopped drinking the hater-aid. NRA is still doing fin n the Pro-gun side. So are the smaller pro-gun pacs

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    It always amazes me how absolutely devoid the Brady ilk is of any actual knowledge about firearms. My favorite: Carolyn McCarthy and the barrel shroud. It's a shoulder mounted thing that goes up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

The use of "clips" irks me greatly.

Not to mention the fact that Josh Sugarmann and his Type 01 FFL hypocrisy. My understanding is that he got it for "research."

Outside of the fact that Helmke, Henigan, Sugarmann and Horwitz are all belligerent liars, they are laughably ignorant.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    NRA Political Victory Fund
    1999-2000 $17,884,202
    2001-2002 $10,486,283
    2003-2004 $12,773,270
    2005-2006 $11,245,144
    2007-2008 $15,331,781
    2009-2010 $11,683,044 THROUGH 4/30... Still have until 12/31 to take contributions for this period.

I don't think the economy is affecting donations. I think people just stopped drinking the hater-aid. NRA is still doing fin n the Pro-gun side. So are the smaller pro-gun pacs

The peaks and valleys are obviously follow Presidential election years.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Even here in one of the most anti-gun states in the country, the best that they can do is to get Daniel Webster from Johns Hopkins to come in and testify (and then get his ass handed to him) in addition to some old man whose kid got offed by a guy with a gun 20 years ago.

Johns Hopkins of course gets money for being home to the anti's Joyce Foundation.

I don't know about the Brady's but Handgun Control Inc. used to call victims of crimes to solicit contributions. What a class act..."Hey, sorry your loved one is dead but would you like to give 50, 100 or even 250 dollars...".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom