• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I just picked up my new Ruger LCP Max today and when I got home and did a general inspection I found a potential issue that I have not come across before. After my initial check I prepared it for carry and after loading the magazine I cambered a round. The ammo is Sig Elite Performance V-crown JHP. A 90gr. 380auto. The slide rack cambered the round fine but after I decided to do a break down so I dropped the magazine and rack the slide to eject the round. When I did that the bullet came partially out and got stuck. Grabbing the slide and pulling back would not complete the eject. It was really just jammed. After some time I did manage to get it out but it was not easy. I was curious so I put the magazine back in and repeated the process. The same thing happened. It happened 3 times in a row. I believe there is an issue but don't know what it might be. Before I take it to my local gunsmith I thought I would see if anyone here could help me. Thoughts for what is causing this??

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , that's pretty obvious .

A conflict between minimum spec chamber length , abrupt bbl leade , and bullet with wide ogive .

Is chamber 0.0001 too short below SAAMI Spec ? Is ammunition 0.0001 too wide at 0.010 above case mouth ?

I dunno without micrometers . Is it important which ? Minimally .

Options :

Send back to Ruger under warranty.
    Use different brand of .380 defense ammo
    Either you , or 'smith , or helpful MDS'er ream out the Leade 0.001 deeper with a purpose built Reamer .

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    This is my first handgun in 380 so when I picked it up today I picked up the only available ammo they had and just one box. Normally when I buy a new gun I run several different types of ammo through it so see what it likes. I could go out a buy a different brand tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. That would seem to be my first course of action. I did break the gun down and inspect it but after reassembly still had the issue.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I should problably get some snap caps while I am at it. They are handy to have for times like this. I have them in other calipers just not 380.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    If it turns out that ammo is not the issue, Ruger did have issues with the barrels and they replaced quite a few that I am aware of. They stand behind their product and the return and repair and return back to owner was pretty quick....

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    If it turns out that ammo is not the issue, Ruger did have issues with the barrels and they replaced quite a few that I am aware of. They stand behind their product and the return and repair and return back to owner was pretty quick....
    This. Ruger will make it right if there is an issue with the gun. I have one and it has run flawlessly over the first ~800 rounds of every ammo that it's been fed - including Sig V-crowns.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I agree with you guys about Rugers customer service. If I do need to send it back I am sure the process with be excellent. I have several Ruger firearms and love them. Just never had any issues where one needed returned for warranty. I am no expert with guns but I am no newbie either. I will try a few different things tomorrow including a different bullet but my gut tells me this one is going back.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    What exactly is the process for returning a new gun? I guess I need to call them and tell them what is going on and then let them tell me what I need to do. I've never had to return a gun before.

Vernon James

Dec 31, 2020
    Baltimore
    I had the same issue with my LCP Max when I first got it.

My solution was to rack the slide with 'authority."

That solved the problem, I had been babying it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I had the same issue with my LCP Max when I first got it.

My solution was to rack the slide with 'authority."

That solved the problem, I had been babying it.
    This. A friend’s new one also required a truly stout, sharp slide rack to eject a round properly. It got better with a little use.

That said, the round trip to Ruger and back to your doorstep via FedEx is just a few days.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Call Ruger. They will explain the process.

This is also a lesson about not carrying an unproven pistol.
    This gun won't make it to the pocket until I am 100% confident the gun is issue free. A very important lesson... This will also require some time spent on the range and several hundred rounds through it. I usually don't buy a gun I have never shot.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    I just picked up my new Ruger LCP Max today and when I got home and did a general inspection I found a potential issue that I have not come across before. After my initial check I prepared it for carry and after loading the magazine I cambered a round. The ammo is Sig Elite Performance V-crown JHP. A 90gr. 380auto. The slide rack cambered the round fine but after I decided to do a break down so I dropped the magazine and rack the slide to eject the round. When I did that the bullet came partially out and got stuck. Grabbing the slide and pulling back would not complete the eject. It was really just jammed. After some time I did manage to get it out but it was not easy. I was curious so I put the magazine back in and repeated the process. The same thing happened. It happened 3 times in a row. I believe there is an issue but don't know what it might be. Before I take it to my local gunsmith I thought I would see if anyone here could help me. Thoughts for what is causing this??
    A Google search turned up some apparent problems with that model ... Problems : Among all, improper chambering, jamming, faulty extraction, and rust problems are the most common complaints about Ruger LCP Max. https://gunanalyst.com/ruger-lcp-max-problems/

Ruger LCP Max Problems [& Fixes] : https://americangunfacts.com/ruger-lcp-max-problems/

In this article, you will get to know about the possible reasons and fixes for these issues. So, let’s get started.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This gun won't make it to the pocket until I am 100% confident the gun is issue free. A very important lesson... This will also require some time spent on the range and several hundred rounds through it. I usually don't buy a gun I have never shot.

As I mentioned in another thread recently regarding round counts before serious usage ;

With semiautos , first step is to assure reliability with * name brand made in USA FMJ * .

Once that baseline is established , then move on to further testing with either defensive ammo , or budget foreign practice ammo .

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I had this same issue with a Kimber Evo. Even though the manual stated it was ok for +P ammo, when I tried to rack a +P round, it jammed as it apparently did for the OP. The +p round was just slightly longer than a regular round, enough to where the unspent round would not eject from the chamber. I sent the gun back to Kimber and they stated there was nothing wrong with the gun and one customer service rep even stated I shouldn't have to unload an unspent round from the gun anyway. It's the first and last Kimber I will buy.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    My snap caps arrive from Amazon today. And I am heading out for a different box of ammo. The shop I got the gun from told me to just go shoot the gun and that the issue will most likely go away after a few mags are run through it.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Wow...
    Okay, I also have an LCP Max, and have noticed, upon occasion, that when clearing a loaded round from the chamber, the nose of the round will strike the forward inside edge of the ejection port, thus causing it to not want to clear the action because the extractor claw has a nice, solid grip on the cartridge’s extractor groove. As you draw the slide to the rear, the ejector impacts the left side of the back of the cartridge, causing it to cam right and out of the gun. In many designs, a compact slide with its compact little ejection port, a loaded round may have a little trouble getting out. When that happens, you just dick with it a little until you can get the loaded round clear, sometimes out the port, sometimes out the magazine well.
    Is what I’ve described possibly what is happening with your Max?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom