• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My amazon-special universal mesh brass catcher zipper broke and I'm due for another brass catcher. The mesh ones run alright, but I noticed that sag after 20+ shells which mis-aligns the brass catcher, resulting in cases not being intercepted by said catcher.

I do alot of AR plinking, and the GOAT brass catcher caught my eye. Does anyone run one? I shoot southpaw and I'm a bit concerned if it would get in the way. Just by looking on how it attaches, it seems like I will have to outfit my AR with an ambidextrous magazine release to streamline reloading mags with the catcher.

I currently run an off-mounted brass catcher made out of two 5ft 1x2 poles and a 4x8 fiberglass bug screen attached on the poles. It is simply clamped on to a foldable wagon cart to form a wheeled brass catcher that can then be moved at any position. I also fashioned another screen with a set of poles that each comprises a 5ft base section and a hingedly connected 3 ft section, where the base section is attached along the wagon and the 3 ft section is extended along the base section and taut with fastening ropes in order to form an overhang. This version is specifically used to catch brass from upwards ejecting semi-autos, and pistols. While these systems work, they are more cumbersome to set up vs. one that is simply mounted on the gun. I really do like how the GOAT catcher simply clamps along the lower and the brass case receptacle can easily be detached to empty it.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I saw the GOAT brass catcher and ordered it. I have some ARs and from my recollection the catcher doesn’t seem to fit them all. I hate that I can’t catch my 300 blkout brass cause it doesn’t seem to fit the lower.
    I gave up on the catcher and just shoot a few rounds, collect the brass and repeat.
    The GOAT catcher when it does fit works well. It will catch at least 50 .223 size brass without an issue.

I saw the GOAT brass catcher and ordered it. I have some ARs and from my recollection the catcher doesn’t seem to fit them all. I really hate it cause the I really wanna catch my 300 blkout brass but it doesn’t seem to fit.
    I gave up on the catcher and just shoot a few rounds, collect the brass and repeat.
    The GOAT catcher when it does fit works well. It will catch at least 50 .223 size brass without an issue.
    I fell for this too. If your lower is not exactly mil spec it will not fit. I have several AR platform firearms. It fit's my colt but not much else..

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have two - I have the GOAT and I have a copy of the GOAT. Both are awesome and fit every AR I own, but all of mine are made on MilSpec lowers so... YMMV.

I love mine - it's tight and compact, looks good, works great - what's not to like?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I saw the GOAT brass catcher and ordered it. I have some ARs and from my recollection the catcher doesn’t seem to fit them all. I hate that I can’t catch my 300 blkout brass cause it doesn’t seem to fit the lower.
    @Speedluvn do you happen to have the goat brass catcher in your possession? If so, mind if I can try it out? If it fits my AR receiver (ruger ar556) ill be happy to buy it off of you if it all works out.

Tactical brass recovery makes what you seek.

I looked that up and that's one pricey brass catcher. At that point, i'd might as well fashion my own.

I fell for this too. If your lower is not exactly mil spec it will not fit. I have several AR platform firearms. It fit's my colt but not much else..

I wonder if it would fit my Ruger AR556 lower...if not, i got various other lowers I can try out.

I run a caldwell picatinny rail mounted mesh bag. I have a mount on every rifle I want to save brass from, and the bag never droops, even after a full mag... It's pricey to buy a mount for each, but you can get clones on amazon for less and they work as well.

Amazon product ASIN B07K1FX6JS

I might look into the caldwell one. Does it work on other things other than ARs?

Go to Harbor Freight, Buy (or take the free coupon) for the cheap 5X7 blue tarp. Spread it out at the range. Most of the brass will fall on it. Pick it up dump the brass...Rinse and repeat.

I remember doing this at private property in the woods. Only caveat with this is that some of the brass I run eject pretty hot. I got my off-mount mobile brass catcher for that, so i'm mainly looking for one that mounts directly on an AR.

I have two - I have the GOAT and I have a copy of the GOAT. Both are awesome and fit every AR I own, but all of mine are made on MilSpec lowers so... YMMV.

I love mine - it's tight and compact, looks good, works great - what's not to like?

Great that you like yours - how's the handling if you transition and handle your AR left handed?

Do you benchrest your AR or multi-position? Plan to shoot pistol with the catcher?

paperwork351

I do a little bit of everything, but I'm mainly looking for a better brass catcher, particularly for one to mount on an AR for multi-position shooting. I can get away with a well positioned baseball cap or gun case when shooting off the bench to serve as a brass deflector. I normally don't bother with catching pistol brass, but I got my wheeled brass catcher for that.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This. It's an investment but well worth it!
    It is not cheap. But they hold up to some relatively serious use. Most of the gasgun division guys running expensive brass use these or very similar.

Guzma, it's salty but for the price of lost brass I'd say worth the cost. I'm mostly focused on bolt guns but if I shot gasguns other than 223 I'd definitely own one so I didn't lose my expensive and carefully prepared cases.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Great that you like yours - how's the handling if you transition and handle your AR left handed?
    I honestly don't think about it that much. I use it as a range implement so that I can easily save and reload my brass without having to go hunt it down to wherever my AR happened to have flung it. If I was truly concerned about how the gun handled in a real-time way, i doubt if I'd be worried about where my brass went.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I feel that. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used it left-handed. It's definitely going to be a range accessory for sure, or something to put on when I do some open plinking in private property. I guess what I am really asking is if the goat brass catch gets in the way with left-handed handling of an AR, especially when changing mags. I have yet found any online feedback from southpaw users.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Two attached pictninny mounts in the article.

paperwork351

If you shoot from the bench, just leave the bag open and let the brass trickle out onto the bench.
    This is what I do as well- even while standing. Leaving the bag unzipped puts all the brass in a central location and easy to find.
    1666817990730.png

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I feel that. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used it left-handed. It's definitely going to be a range accessory for sure, or something to put on when I do some open plinking in private property. I guess what I am really asking is if the goat brass catch gets in the way with left-handed handling of an AR, especially when changing mags. I have yet found any online feedback from southpaw users.
    I just had it on one of my ARs and I'm fiddling with the rifle left-handed, which generally doesn't seem to be a problem, except for maybe the mag release. If your common practice is to curl your hand around the front of your lower receiver and mag well to hit the mag-release with the index finger of your left hand, it will get in the way. Using it right-handed, it's easy to just extend your trigger finger to the mag release which is still exposed.

So you have a choice:

1. Don't use it and find something else.
    2. Don't use anything and go chase down your brass after it's been flung to here and kingdom come.
    3. Use it, and take the two seconds it would take to switch hands to hit your mag release.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Two attached pictninny mounts in the article.

paperwork351
    This is the one I use. The only hitch is, the attachment point is optics sensitive. It doesn't fit beneath every optic.

Amazon product ASIN B00EB5OU0Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom