• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    Also don't forget that you end up shooting more too. So, where you might only be able to pull out that 45-70 a couple times a year to run a box of ammo through it, once you start reloading you'll be able to take that 45-70 to the range once a week if you like. Net value = not saving a dime but you are enjoying your guns more for the same price.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    It was just an easy number to calculate. Who cares about the number he just wanted to get a feel for the breakeven point.

Alright take $500 and split all the numbers in half, same break even point. Better?

I'm not sure how you can discuss break even points without discussing equipment cost, but yes $500 would easily get someone a decent reloading setup that will pay for itself pretty quickly for the medium to high volume shooter.

FaylineF

Sep 14, 2010
    Olney MD
    OK friend, Here's my stats...you do the math as it relates to you
    I routinely reload 45 ACP, 308 win and 223/5.56 all the time. I go thru about 2000 rounds/month or more each. It's surely cheaper for me the way I do it and there are many other advantages. Yes, you must buy the equipment, so there is an initial investment to make....and don't forget the tumbler...it's not just the reloading press and dies, it's also other supplies. Here's what I get from reloading and yes, for me doing it my way, it is easily cheaper spread over time than buying ready to shoot stuff.

A. Variety-you can tweak the loads/bullets to get the best performance on your firearm.
    B. Wait for sales, buy in bulk.I get 5 or more reloads on new rifle brass..usually more. I wait until I see new stuff in bulk at a good price, then jump on it. I do NOT buy used rifle brass, period.
    C. I have not found a limit yet on the # of times I can reload 45 ACP brass. So, I often buy one fired 45 brass or use already loaded ammo, then reuse the brass over and over again. Caution-yes, you have to inspect each case every time but this goes for everything anyway in my book. My semi-auto handguns throw the brass pretty cleanly with few dings.
    D. Accuracy-reloading rifle brass that has already been fired in the same firearm does add some to the accuracy. Also, excellent hand-loading, de-burring, etc. also adds to accuracy if done properly.
    E. Time-yea, reloading takes your time...so that's your personal calculation to make.
    F. Availability- I have always had sufficient stock to shoot during shortages of certain ammo (like 45 ACP) buy buying in bulk when supplies are plentiful.
    G. Buy your powder and primers locally if possibly to avoid the hazmat charges if the local price is not jacked up real high. Also, if buying via we sites for powder/primers, buy in bulk to spread the hazmat charge calculation across several items. Again, you gotta do some simple math here to determine the break point.
    Good Luck and be careful of very strong opinions voiced in forums where they do not supply the rationale or facts to back up those oh so strong opinions!!!

Dans390

Apr 14, 2007
    York Pa
    I load 6.5 tcu-7mmtcu-357max-460s&w & more
    it becomes a good investment real fast
    depending on what & how much is done
    All on 25yr old lee progressive
    see ya @ the range

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I'm not sure how you can discuss break even points without discussing equipment cost, but yes $500 would easily get someone a decent reloading setup that will pay for itself pretty quickly for the medium to high volume shooter.

woooow ... because break-even is simply a math equation, the numbers don't matter, it is a ratio ....

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    C. I have not found a limit yet on the # of times I can reload 45 ACP brass. So, I often buy one fired 45 brass or use already loaded ammo, then reuse the brass over and over again. Caution-yes, you have to inspect each case every time but this goes for everything anyway in my book. My semi-auto handguns throw the brass pretty cleanly with few dings.

For the first time since 1988 I had to trim the 45 brass I own. It had exceeded the max length and gave me problems loading into my CZ magazine.I am on probably the 6th reloading. (I have a lot of them so they take a while to cycle through)

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    I reload because of one simple fact. When the Powers that be take away the ammo and components, how much is that black-market box of shells gonna cost ya?

vetts1911

Practical Shooter
    Aug 25, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    I know the equipment answer has been well put but, I don't think that you can really factor out time. That is why a lot of us went progressive. We enjoy reloading but, you have to have some to to get out there and shoot.

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    20 months or so into my reloading adventure, and I am way past breaking even.

With my initial setup (inexpensive Lee press, Lee carbide dies for one caliber, all the accessories and components needed to do it safely) my break even point was around 1000 rounds made. At that point the equipment had paid for itself, compared to what I would have spent on the cheapest available steel cased .45ACP ammo.

I learned a lot along the way. I am probably a better shooter simply because I spend time at the range thinking about all the variables that go into accuracy. Reloading is being able to disengage all the worries and work/family related stress and go into a zen-like state of mindful concentration. The money aspect of it is secondary. Some guys reload so they can shoot more. I shoot so I can reload. I love it.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    I am very interested in reloading, however, i have an abundance of time. If I reload a huge amount of ammo, can i sell some of it, or does maryland have qualms with this?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I am very interested in reloading, however, i have an abundance of time. If I reload a huge amount of ammo, can i sell some of it, or does maryland have qualms with this?

No, that won't fly. It's more a federal thing than a state thing. It requires some kind of ffl, not sure which one. It's possible to get one. Someone will come along here who knows about this.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Bad idea selling it. You'll have liability for the ammo you sell, and if someones gun goes kaboom, they'll point their fingers directly at YOU. Reloading lets you shoot more for the same money, so just burn it up in practice.

Jim

Cowboy T

As an example, I bought a Lee Pro 1000 progressive press in .45 Colt that paid for itself in about 2 weeks (the press was about $180 w/ shipping and case collator). I picked up another one in .38/.357, which paid for itself in about 6 weeks. I shoot about 1,000 rounds/month of .38 Spl and .45 Colt (combined), so, for me, it was a really smart purchase.

tfhudso

Mar 25, 2011
    Elkridge
    I worked it out when I started reloading 44 Magnum - The savings from about 500-1000 rounds would pay for the supplies and equipment.

One way to look at it as price new brass. If it's 20 cents per case, then right off the bat you're probably saving at least 20 cents a round by loading your own.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    It would take quite a while to break even on .223/5.56, with the price as low as they are now. You can get Russian rounds (Herter's, Wolf) for $3.99/20-rnds when they're on sale. That's 20 cents a round for a complete cartridge. Yes, they're steel, but at that price, it doesn't matter.

That will probably change soon, with the price of copper going up. $3.99 will be gone for a while (again).

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    The major factor in this is if you will enjoy the time you spend at the reloading bench. If you end up not liking it then the cost savings is irrelevant. You could just work overtime or a second job and stock up on ammo when its on sale.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    The major factor in this is if you will enjoy the time you spend at the reloading bench. If you end up not liking it then the cost savings is irrelevant. You could just work overtime or a second job and stock up on ammo when its on sale.

best quote here, if it is just for savings there other ways to get to the same result. Of course you get to make your unique mix of rounds you otherwise could not get and it can be a nice, serene hobby if you enjoy reloading.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Financial saving should not be the only reason for reloading. How much is you time worth? Just like Oreo said, if it is a hobby then you will like it and do it with some consistence. Then you start saving money. Customize loads for a particular firearm. Make rounds for a gun with hard to find ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom