• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    So on my first trip to the range, the paddle of the bolt catch broke on my AR15. :banghead: Now, before SB281, not exactly good but not that big a deal. But after sb281, what happens if I accidentally break off one of the "ears" when backing out the roll pin? Don't want to be SOL, so I am seriously considering sending it to a 'Smith, just to make sure I still have a lower...I am over thinking/worrying about this???

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD

Thanks! CMMG is actually going to send me a replacement. But I am worried about backing out the existing roll-pin - what are the chances I will break off the part? I broke the ear on the trigger guard already so I am skittish I guess

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not trying to scare you into using a Smith but I see ALOT of jacked up lowers from stupid use of punches, vises and channel locks/vise grips.

Broken off bolt catch and trigger guard ears can be fixed but you won't like the cost of that repair at all. I charge $400.00 for that.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    OP, how did that happen? I have never seen it in nearly 30 years of using the M16 FWS. Did you put the lower together? If so, what brand of parts kit did you use?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    OP, how did that happen? I have never seen it in nearly 30 years of using the M16 FWS. Did you put the lower together? If so, what brand of parts kit did you use?

Only time I have ever seen it is when someone drops the hammer with no upper on it...

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Only time I have ever seen it is when someone drops the hammer with no upper on it...

Nope - haven't done that. This one was "my baby" - Seekins lower, BCM upper. I was very excited for it....got to shoot one mag. To be honest, I don't exactly know what happened. We were shooting in a group. I lent it to a guy who didn't have one and next thing I know, he is handing it back saying it broke. Sigh....

KevP - I did assemble it - from CMMG parts kit.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Nope - haven't done that. This one was "my baby" - Seekins lower, BCM upper. I was very excited for it....got to shoot one mag. To be honest, I don't exactly know what happened. We were shooting in a group. I lent it to a guy who didn't have one and next thing I know, he is handing it back saying it broke. Sigh....

KevP - I did assemble it - from CMMG parts kit.

If there was no dry-firing, I would just chalk it up to faulty parts. There are worse parts that could fail, and at least it's a cheap fix.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'm not trying to scare you into using a Smith but I see ALOT of jacked up lowers from stupid use of punches, vises and channel locks/vise grips.

Broken off bolt catch and trigger guard ears can be fixed but you won't like the cost of that repair at all. I charge $400.00 for that.

I know the great work you do so if it comes to it, I would rather spend $400 and have a working lower, than not have a working lower...
    Knew I should have bought another 2 or 3 or 10 lowers before Oct 1.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    So on my first trip to the range, the paddle of the bolt catch broke on my AR15. :banghead: Now, before SB281, not exactly good but not that big a deal. But after sb281, what happens if I accidentally break off one of the "ears" when backing out the roll pin? Don't want to be SOL, so I am seriously considering sending it to a 'Smith, just to make sure I still have a lower...I am over thinking/worrying about this???
    Or get it threaded; it made assembling the lowers way easier.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know the great work you do so if it comes to it, I would rather spend $400 and have a working lower, than not have a working lower...
    Knew I should have bought another 2 or 3 or 10 lowers before Oct 1.

I appreciate it. Let me clarify, to swap that part I would charge $10.00 plus the cost of the part.

The $400.00 is if someone broke the Bolt Catch Ears off the receiver and I was to repair it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't have the ability to weld AR receivers. Unfortunately I do t have any before or after photos. I am cataloging my work currently and when I get another I will post detailed photos.

What I do is machine out the damaged area and more and make a replacement piece that's threaded into the receiver. Its done by a fantastic gunsmith that repairs M16 lowers.

http://www.m60joe.com/

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't have the ability to weld AR receivers. Unfortunately I do t have any before or after photos. I am cataloging my work currently and when I get another I will post detailed photos.

What I do is machine out the damaged area and more and make a replacement piece that's threaded into the receiver. Its done by a fantastic gunsmith that repairs M16 lowers.

I was thinking thread something in or weld it but I didnt think there was enough material to thread something in like that. Very cool.

That m60joe site is quite entertaining thanks for the link. :D

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD

That is cool! Hopefully it doesn't come to that, tho...but good to know there are options!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have to fix ARs on a regular basis...

(Oh and check your PMs! I sent you one a few days a go. Y u no respond? :'()

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom