• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I don't have the ability to weld AR receivers. Unfortunately I do t have any before or after photos. I am cataloging my work currently and when I get another I will post detailed photos.

What I do is machine out the damaged area and more and make a replacement piece that's threaded into the receiver. Its done by a fantastic gunsmith that repairs M16 lowers.

http://www.m60joe.com/

that has got to be one of the coolest things ive ever seen

tommyrll2.jpg

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    Speaking of things that just go wrong. About a month ago was ramoping up for some training. I put a block on my barrel (BCM carbine, with less than 3k rounds through it) as I was going to be firing a few hundred rounds of blank ammo.

It would fire one round and not eject the spent cartridge. Did a function check and found the pin on the hammer was broken in half with one of the halfs gone.

Of course I found this on Saturday morning, I had to be in West Virginia on Monday morning with a functional Carbine. Got lucky and found a lower build kit WTG in White Plains. Cost me $80 bucks for the kit but my Carbine was up.

SHowed the broken pin to folks where I was training, they had never seen a hommer pin broken. Has anyone on here had the lin on the hammer break like this?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Speaking of things that just go wrong. About a month ago was ramoping up for some training. I put a block on my barrel (BCM carbine, with less than 3k rounds through it) as I was going to be firing a few hundred rounds of blank ammo.

It would fire one round and not eject the spent cartridge. Did a function check and found the pin on the hammer was broken in half with one of the halfs gone.

Of course I found this on Saturday morning, I had to be in West Virginia on Monday morning with a functional Carbine. Got lucky and found a lower build kit WTG in White Plains. Cost me $80 bucks for the kit but my Carbine was up.

SHowed the broken pin to folks where I was training, they had never seen a hommer pin broken. Has anyone on here had the lin on the hammer break like this?

That is actually somewhat common. It could have been a weak part that just gave out, or the gun could be overgassed. Are you running a Suppressor or Noveske KKX?

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    no suppressor, other than the EOTech sight the weapon is bone stock.

The pin broke in the middle, my first thought was it was just a weak part.

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    My seekins lower has a threaded bolt catch pin. if you can operate an allen wrench you should be able to fix it in a couple of minutes. Put some tape on the lower in front of the bolt catch during the operation so you don't accidentally mar it.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Just re-read your post and it looks like you have a forged lower, not the billet. key to this maneuver is to get a roll pin holder. If you originally built this lower, not sure why you can't replace a roll pin. My opinion is that anybody building anything should have a good set of punches and holders. not expensive.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

Yeah, I know I can replace it - just paranoid about breaking it when I do lol! So with my luck, a simple replacement will turn into a broken lower. just paranoid because stupid SB281 and not being able to just get another one...

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Just re-read your post and it looks like you have a forged lower, not the billet. key to this maneuver is to get a roll pin holder. If you originally built this lower, not sure why you can't replace a roll pin. My opinion is that anybody building anything should have a good set of punches and holders. not expensive.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...h-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

This worked perfectly! Even I was able to do this without F'ing it up!!
    I want to thank Clandestine too - this board always comes through! AR15 back in order!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Never heard of such a thing!

This is one reason why I bought a couple extra lowers and archived them. (and need to get an extra LR308 lower)

Everytime I do one I get nervous, fortunately other than a few small scratches I havent messed one up.

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Excellent. plus you got the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Can't thank you enough - so simple I am embarrassed about how nervous I was :o. I blame this state's crazy laws for my pathetic-ness lol

This is one reason why I bought a couple extra lowers and archived them. (and need to get an extra LR308 lower)

Still kicking myself on this one. Although, before they started the whole banning thing, I wasn't sure I wanted one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom