• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Thinking about a C&R shotgun and the Auto 5 looks cool. Can anyone tell me about them? I see some with the Poly Choke installed and that seems to kill the collector value. Are the Poly Chokes any good? I like that these models were one of the first auto shotguns and generally look pretty cool to me. Might use it for shooting trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    The poly chokes or the other one called a C-lect choke look kind of funky but the one on my kids Ted Williams (Sears) semi works ok --there are a lot of old shot guns out there with these hings on them and I would not be afraid of one if its a shooter and not a collectors item.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    I would tend to think..

Thinking about a C&R shotgun and the Auto 5 looks cool. Can anyone tell me about them? I see some with the Poly Choke installed and that seems to kill the collector value. Are the Poly Chokes any good? I like that these models were one of the first auto shotguns and generally look pretty cool to me. Might use it for shooting trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

That 90% of the folks on the forum don't have a clue as to what your talking about. Which is quit sad:sad20:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have two Auto-5, 16 gauge shotguns, I would say go for the A5. The Remington 11 is the same design as far as I know, it's the result of Winchester not wanting to pay John Browning royalties on the Patents. I have no love for the Poly choke and have pasted up several nice shotguns that had them added, especially Win. Model 12'. Just remember that the A5 is recoil driven and you need to change the recoil spring setup differently for low velocity and high velocity loads.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Big fan of the Browning Sweet Sixteen model. Round knob, Belgian made is a classic. Forget the poly choke.... I don't believe they were factory and ruin the collectors values (at least I'm not aware of any that were factory) Best handling shotgun I've fired in all my years. I keep thinking I'll get one, but collector grade ones that are true Sweet Sixteen (not just any ol 16 gauge A5) are a bit pricey.

As far as the Remington Model 11... I think (and this is from memory) it is just a licensed copy of Browning's Auto 5. Seem's like they are often overlooked and priced lower.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Most that I have seen for sale are 12 gauge with full choke. Thought a Poly Choke might be useful in that regard.

My favorite guns are the classic ones, my Savage 99 and an A.H. Fox Sterlingworth. An Auto 5 would fit in well.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Blue Fins had a Belgian made A5 in stock last week. Not sure if C&R best bet is to call them and ask.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I have two Remington Model 11's, they are licensed productions of Browning's Auto 5's and I believe the only ones to be made in the US. Unless getting one made in Belgium is important to you, I think whatever you can find in good condition will serve you well. I love to use the 20ga for sporting clays, it is very light and doesn't get fouled like my 1100 does after a lot of shooting. You will need to be a bit more careful with the ammo you feed it, however. It requires stout loads to function properly, even when the recoil system is arranged for light loads. I know Rio 20ga will not cycle mine. Also be prepared for a somewhat jarring recoil, since you get multiple impulses from the long recoil mechanism.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I inherited my Dad's A5 that was made in 1948. The barrel has a solid rib and a Polychoke, and to me it's what an A5 is supposed to look like. One thing about an A5 is the recoil is MUCH more pronounced than a gas operated gun. I don't think Dad ever switched the choke from full whether he was hunting waterfowl, rabbits or deer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And of the 10-% that know Polychoke, 90% of them don't know Cutts or Pachmyer compensators.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have a Belgian Auto 5 Light twelve with a Deluxe Polychoke. I love the thing and the choke seems to work well. I also have my Grandfather's 1920's Model 11 he got used in about 1950 when he traded an outboard motor. He hunted with it until 1988 when he passed, then my dad used it for some years until he moved on to a Browning BPS. I now have it, although I don't shoot it much as I want to preserve it. It's probably had tens of thousands put through it but I'd never call it worn out. I'd buy a new one if it was still made today. Awesome design that too many people ignore today.

Strnge

Feb 19, 2016
    Hagerstown, Md
    I have a well used, inherited 1910 Remington Auto 12 Gauge. My Grandfather, Uncle and Father used it regularly on their farm. Many many animals were placed on the dinner plate with it over its life before I recently inherited it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads