• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been asked to provide a range report of the Browning Cynergy CX that I recently purchase, so I'll give you my immediate impressions after having handled it, and now that I've had the chance to try to shoot some clays with it.

Appearance on this gun is nice - the wood seems to be decent quality walnut, and the checkering is sharp and clean, but the wood itself is just a basic oil finish - almost matte, which I kind of like. I've read a bit about Browning Oil Finishes and it would seem that if it ever needs a touch up, additional coats of boiled linseed oil is the way to go.

The receiver is unadorned other than a laser etched "Browning" on each side - no engraving. It's simple, but there's some beauty in simplicity.

The only place where there's some "extra" is on the trigger, which is gold plated, and the gold on the ends of the choke tubes. (It came with 3 external chokes - Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder)

Some folks asked about whether I had the chance to pick one up and shoulder it prior to purchase. Nope - I bought this blind. With that said, to me the gun feels nice. I've held O/U shotguns that just feel clunky, mostly due to an extra-chunky forend, but this one doesn't feel that way at all and when I shoulder it, my eye is lined up with the rib, and the mid-bead and front-bead are perfectly lined up and stacked, which I think is how it's supposed to be.

So on to the shooting. My very first shot was a hit, and my second shot was a miss. Then I had a long string of hits. With that said, I wasn't shooting trap formally yesterday. We were at a trap range at AGC, and they had the thrower set to throw the same place because there were new shooters there they were trying to help learn how to hit. I think all told I shot about 30-35 rounds, and I had about 7-8 misses - that's just a rough estimation. It shoots well - any failure in my ability to hit is completely on me - not the shotgun.

The trigger seems ok to me - some people claim that it's heavy, but I have no complaints with it. I've shot a lot of guns - particularly ARs - where the trigger is much worse. Checking the triggers with my gauge, and with the gun set to fire the top barrel first, the first break is at just over 5 lbs, the second breaks at pretty much 5 lbs exactly.

Balance - I wouldn't know a great balancing shotgun from a bad one - the balance point is right at the front edge of the metal receiver. I've read that with the wood stocked Cynergy CX that the 28" is perfectly balanced but the 30" is slightly front heavy. Didn't seem that way to me - when the gun is at my shoulder, it feels pretty good.

It's pretty danged tight - breaking the shotgun so that the ejector actuates is a bit stiff right now, but not overly so. I've heard some complaints on this gun that it takes several thousand rounds to get it to break in so that it opens and closes a bit more smoothly, but it doesn't seem overly stiff now.

I followed all directions about cleaning the gun first to remove an anti-rust coating, and then greasing the appropriate places. I don't know if there's a recommended grease - I used Hoppe's Gun Grease - seemed like a decent choice and better than oil.

Recoil - I had thought that the cushy recoil pad would greatly reduce recoil compared to my 870 with the old, time-hardened recoil pad. It does reduce it some, but it's a 12 gauge - it's still going to kick, right? It's manageable though. I can't really foresee a time where I'm going to be shooting more than 4-5 rounds of trap on any given day, and it should handle that without an issue. I never noticed any kick towards the side or towards my face - it seems to recoil straight back.

So that's my review, along with a couple of pics. I'll get it back out today for some more formal trap, and I'll see if I can get consistent hitting with it.

IMG_7334.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7338.jpeg
    IMG_7339.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm thinking about a Cynergy myself so your report is much appreciated. I shouldered one in the shop and it felt good to me. I was told that they don't sell well because of their rakish appearance which I in fact kinda' like.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Recoil - I had thought that the cushy recoil pad would greatly reduce recoil compared to my 870 with the old, time-hardened recoil pad. It does reduce it some, but it's a 12 gauge - it's still going to kick, right? It's manageable though. I can't really foresee a time where I'm going to be shooting more than 4-5 rounds of trap on any given day, and it should handle that without an issue. I never noticed any kick towards the side or towards my face - it seems to recoil straight bac

View attachment 448405
    Nice write-up. Might I suggest the additional purchase of a shooting vest with a gelled recoil pad insert where you should er the firearm. When I started shooting more rounds of Trap on a semi-regular basis that one addition made for a more enjoyable and comfortable shoot for me. BTW: Nice looking firearm regardless what others might think.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hope you're liking your new gun! Does it have an automatic or manual safety?
    It has a manual safety - it would be a pain if it wasn't.

I had it out again yesterday and didn't do nearly as well. My first 5 birds were hits, but from that point on my percentage was about 60% - I'll have to get it out some more to see if I can dial that in and figure out better how to shoot it.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Nothing is more annoying on a target shotgun than an automatic safety. When I got my 28 gauge Silver Pigeon the first thing I did to it was to change the safety from auto to manual.

If you have any eye-dominance issues, closing your less-dominant eye on going away birds (like you have in trap) will make a world of difference. I only found this out from having private lessons with a great instructor. I never would have discovered that was an issue for me otherwise.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Congrats! I have owned the exact same gun for roughly 3 years now and I have zero regrets. It happens to fit me wonderfully, although i've never been custom fit to a o/u. I shoot it very well as well. My previous O/U was a cheap-o Charles Daly model 106 which was a POS, although was good to learn on.

I think for the price, the Cynergy CX is a no brainer and a great entry into the world of "B" guns. Mine, like yours, is also fairly stiff but has loosened up a little over time. I need to put my pull gauge on the triggers, but mine feel definitely lighter than 5lb and are remarkably crisp. Perhaps I got lucky on that front.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I'm thinking about a Cynergy myself so your report is much appreciated. I shouldered one in the shop and it felt good to me. I was told that they don't sell well because of their rakish appearance which I in fact kinda' like.
    They also had a rough start because the original Cynergy came with a butt-ugly recoil pad. The original triggers they shipped with were also pretty bad, although my understanding is all of those issues have been resolved. The triggers on mine are excellent by any standard. I also don't personally think it's an ugly gun at all in its current iteration.

I think the Cynergy is an excellent, unfussy O/U and a hell of a deal for the price.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Congrats! I have owned the exact same gun for roughly 3 years now and I have zero regrets. It happens to fit me wonderfully, although i've never been custom fit to a o/u. I shoot it very well as well. My previous O/U was a cheap-o Charles Daly model 106 which was a POS, although was good to learn on.

I think for the price, the Cynergy CX is a no brainer and a great entry into the world of "B" guns. Mine, like yours, is also fairly stiff but has loosened up a little over time. I need to put my pull gauge on the triggers, but mine feel definitely lighter than 5lb and are remarkably crisp. Perhaps I got lucky on that front.
    I have a feeling those triggers will work in to a bit lighter break over time, but I don't have an issue with them now.

I think what pushed me over the edge to the browning is that it ended up only being a few hundred more than the gun I was considering buying - the CZ Redhead Premier Target, which I think I would have been perfectly happy with, but when that cost gets broken down over the lifetime of the gun, which will outlast my lifetime, I figured I'd just cut to the chase and get the Browning - it was what I really wanted anyway.

Others have commented on the rakish appearance - I tend to favor that over the more traditional looking double guns anyway, so that wasn't a detractor for me at all.

Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    I respectfully suggest you shoot your trap singles from the bottom barrel for less felt recoil. It works for me. Also, you may want to consider a Carlson ported choke in, say, IM. Their constrictions are truer than Browning's and the ported chokes definitely work to reduce felt recoil. In 12g, they are $60 or so on Ebay last time I checked.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I respectfully suggest you shoot your trap singles from the bottom barrel for less felt recoil. It works for me. Also, you may want to consider a Carlson ported choke in, say, IM. Their constrictions are truer than Browning's and the ported chokes definitely work to reduce felt recoil. In 12g, they are $60 or so on Ebay last time I checked.
    I appreciate those suggestions! Thanks!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They also had a rough start because the original Cynergy came with a butt-ugly recoil pad. The original triggers they shipped with were also pretty bad, although my understanding is all of those issues have been resolved. The triggers on mine are excellent by any standard. I also don't personally think it's an ugly gun at all in its current iteration.

I think the Cynergy is an excellent, unfussy O/U and a hell of a deal for the price.
    It is good to see a positive write up for the Cynergy because years ago it did not have a great reputation. Also there is a real need for a cost-effective quality O/U shotguns in the sub $2K range. That, and the fact that some former sub $2K O/U's used to be but are no longer thanks to inflation.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am also wondering if the CXS (which I own) is on it's way out with the Cynergy being the up and coming model with "21st-century design and performance" (to quote from Browning).

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I am also wondering if the CXS (which I own) is on it's way out with the Cynergy being the up and coming model with "21st-century design and performance" (to quote from Browning).
    I doubt it - the Citori guns aren't going anywhere, although Browning has been known to discontinue models here and there. Still, in just a very quick little bit of Google-fu, it seems that the CXS model is pretty well regarded.

I think in general, and I could be wrong about this, but it seems to me that the Cynergy is kind of regarded as "entry level Browning" and the Citori models are the step-up gun. Again, I could be wrong, but that's the way it seems from the reading I've done online.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd post an update to this now that I've had this shotgun out several times.

The first couple of times I had the gun out, I was kind of all over the place - I just didn't really know where I was shooting, and I had some pretty poor rounds where I was only getting 10-15 hits.

The more I shoot it, the more I like it, and the better I'm doing with it. I think it's more of an indication of my skills as a shooter than the gun - I just had to figure some stuff out. My best round yesterday was a 21/25, so it's getting there, but it may be a while before I shoot a 25.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd have gotten the 32" barrels, but for some reason I thought they'd be too long. Turns out, most folks shooting dedicated trap guns are shooting 32 or 34 inch barrels, although I don't think the 30" barrels are hurting me.

I do get "slapped" a bit - it's not bad, but I notice it more on some shots than others.

All in all I'm having a great time with it, but it's just as much due to the good folks I've become friends with at the trap range. It's a wonderful community of the same handful of folks every time I go out there. There's friendly competition and ribbing that goes on, but the main point is to have fun, and to try to learn how to get better, so I'm in pretty good company.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I have used this same shotgun for many years now for trap primarily and really do enjoy it. I bought it blind and was looking for a trap gun but something that could also be used for sporting clays. This price range was where I needed it to be and have really enjoyed it. I hit well with it and I us the bottom barrel for singles as suggested below. I probably have close to 2K rounds through it and I will agree it was really tight with lock up initially and getting it to break open was harder than it should have been. It has loosened up considerably but it is still tighter than some other O/U that I have had. I shoot consistently 22/23 per round and it definitely has a 60/40 hold pattern which works for me. Great Write up!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought I'd update this thread.

I get this gun out to the AGC trap range 2-3x/week at this point, and I'm starting to hit a stride of consistency - I'm still looking for that elusive 25/25, but the gun itself seems to do well.

I took the time to pattern it, and although it advertises a 60/40 pattern, the top barrel on mine patterned at about 80/20, which was almost identical to the pattern of the Browning BT-99 Micro we purchased for my wife to use. I should have taken the time to pattern the bottom barrel too, but we were trying to pattern the barrel I intended to use along with the barrel of my wife's BT-99, and we just got finished with patterning hers when trap started at the field, so we stopped. In any case, both guns pattered 80/20, dead center and with a nice consistent pattern. This was using the Carlson Competition chokes I bought. I didn't "need" different chokes, but my wife was concerned that with the plethora of BT-99s that seem to be at the trap field, she was concerned about grabbing the wrong gun on the rack, so I bought a few tubes - a LM for her and an IM for me, and a regular M just in case. At this point I have the IM and LM in my gun (using the IM) and she's using the M in the BT-99. As you can see, they are pretty distinctive so it makes it easy for her to find her BT-99 on the rack.

opplanet-carlson-s-choke-tubes-browning-invector-plus-competition-target-cylinder-18991-main.jpg

Getting back to the Cynergy, for a bit I was trying to use the bottom barrel, but at this point I'm back on the top barrel and that seems to be working for me. There are those who say that using the bottom barrel mitigates recoil - I'm not so sure that it does. Not that I've really noticed anyway.

So - some other observations...

In order to get the stock up to the cheek where it needs to be in order to have the proper sight picture, the butt is really high on my shoulder, but I don't seem to have an issue with recoil with having it there. If there was a problem, it would be mainly that by putting it that high, it would be some inconsistency with my hold, but I've used it enough at this point, that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Ejectors - I have the option to disable the ejectors on this gun, but I don't have an issue with it. I just put my hand behind it and it ejects it right into my hand, which works ok.

Trigger - The trigger on this is pretty nice - it's better than any lesser priced shotgun I've fiddled with to date, but it isn't quite as nice as the trigger on my wife's BT-99.

I shot 3 rounds with it on both Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday - 15, 19, 19
    Sunday - 19, 21, 21

Hopefully by the end of the season I'll have a couple of 25s in the books, but I'm ok with the 21s - that was the top score of the squad both times I shot it, but there were some noobs and rusty folks on the line, so it's not really something to brag about.

Hindsight: I probably should have just gotten a BT-99, and I may yet do that - I can always use this gun for 5-stand or sporting clays, and use the BT-99 for trap. If I do get a BT-99, it'll have the adjustable comb and butt plate.

One last thought for those thinking about getting a Yildiz, CZ, Tristar or some other Turkish made gun is regarding chokes. EVERYONE makes Invector Plus choke tubes for Browning, so there are more selections online than you can shake a stick at. The same can't be said of the other guns.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The bottom barrel mitigates recoil. It is a matter of physics. By using the bottom barrel, the recoil is directed more toward your shoulder and not up into your cheek. In other words, the recoil is located closer to the pivot point.

Welcome to the clays game. You'll be spending more on more on guns and gear as you go further down the rabbit hole. Glad to read that both you and your wife are enjoying it. Maybe we can get a group together to shoot some clays at PG after tax season. Used to get together with Lou45, Mopar, and SNI once in a while to shoot trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom