• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    So after shooting numerous .22 lr autos, my gf has decided she likes the Browning Buckmark. She rather specifically seems to prefer what I think is the Challenge model. It was one we rented at Gilbert's, and IIRC, it's a dead ringer for this. I do recall the checkered wood grips and the narrow barrel. I cannot find any other Buckmark that has those two features.

So, are there any other Buckmark models with these features? I know most people prefer one of the bigger barrels (I like the bull barrels) but she identified barrel weight as one thing she didn't care for on the others we tried. According to Genitron, the other models weigh 7-10 ounces more (or ~30%).

She also liked the grips, particularly their being fairly slender. Anyone able to comment on the difference between these grips, current regular grips, and the UDX and URX grips? I think the UDX are reasonably thin based on pictures, but I haven't had a chance to check them in person. Anybody have any in stock to look at and feel?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Talk to Pskryja and BrowningBeauty here on MDS. They both love thier Browning Buckmarks.

Pskryja has the Camper. She likes the fact irt requires very little effort to clean and maintain.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Good choice, I really love shooting my Browning Buckmark. Whenever we have a club shoot, it gets borrowed all the time. It's great at long distances too.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I have the wood grip Buckmark. It ALWAYS goes BANG. Shoots like a champ - accurate and just a hell of a gun. I have probably run 1500-2000 rounds thru it, different ammo - it's been a real hoot. Thumbs up from me.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I got this (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/... Camper SS Package URX Grip FO Sight, 3 Mags/) last year and have had zero problems with it. The grips are comfortable in my hands (small to medium hands) and the rubber is soft creating a positive, non-slip contact. I had shot a friends Ruger Mark III several times and found the Browning more comfortable and better balanced, at least to me. I sometimes get over toward Montgomery County and if we can work out a day and location, you are welcome to run some rounds through my Camper.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I bought my Buckmark Camper Whisper from Mark @ 2A Sales. Give him a call. He can most likely get you anything you want.

buckmarkpackage.jpg

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I got this (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/... Camper SS Package URX Grip FO Sight, 3 Mags/) last year and have had zero problems with it. The grips are comfortable in my hands (small to medium hands) and the rubber is soft creating a positive, non-slip contact. I had shot a friends Ruger Mark III several times and found the Browning more comfortable and better balanced, at least to me. I sometimes get over toward Montgomery County and if we can work out a day and location, you are welcome to run some rounds through my Camper.

Excellent. My girlfriend is really picky (don't blame her. I'm just a yokel who will fire anything that goes 'bang'.) and I'm worried she may not like the UDX or URX grips. The weird thing is she prefers the Glock 17 to the 19, but otherwise likes smaller grips. One other thing is she preferred the weight of the Challenge to the weight on a Ruger 22/45 we tried. I think it's the lighter barrel, which Browning doesn't seem to make any longer.

I bought my Buckmark Camper Whisper from Mark @ 2A Sales. Give him a call. He can most likely get you anything you want.

That's several suggestions to talk to him. I'm hoping to find a Challenge somewhere, but if I go new, I'll swing by there.

I have the wood grip Buckmark. It ALWAYS goes BANG. Shoots like a champ - accurate and just a hell of a gun. I have probably run 1500-2000 rounds thru it, different ammo - it's been a real hoot. Thumbs up from me.

I personally like the looks on the Hunter, but most consider me a weirdo. My GF loves how she can actually hit the 10 ring with the Buckmark.

Wolfmetalfab

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy
    Pretty sure that the Gun Shack in Mount Airy has a couple buckmarks in stock, but I don't remember the models they have.
    Also, thats where my buckmark came home from years ago (10+ now)
    Love the buckmark so much drilling a hole in it didn't even seem like a bad idea :D

IMG_2534.jpg

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Pretty sure that the Gun Shack in Mount Airy has a couple buckmarks in stock, but I don't remember the models they have.
    Also, thats where my buckmark came home from years ago (10+ now)
    Love the buckmark so much drilling a hole in it didn't even seem like a bad idea :D

[/QUOTE]

GF was looking over shoulder while reading this thread and she has decided she wants your gun. What model, barrel, grips, and sight is that?

(Quick, she's looking at that Ruger 22/45 Lite!)

Wolfmetalfab

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy
    :lol2:
    Might be hard to find, and its not light...

Specs on the Buckmark are
    Buckmark 7.25" Bullseye edition, manf date '96
    Burris Fastfire 2 (pic base machined to clear the rear sight)
    Weigand weaver rail (custom machined to accept the factory rear sight, and machined to accept the burris picatinny mount)
    Altamont wood grips (I think) modified by removing finger groves and slightly reshaped
    Slide drilled and tapped for slide racker knob, mag release drilled and tapped for extended button

If you want a fast fire on a buckmark, go with the TacSol mount The fastfire mount does not fit on the Weigand properly...
    Altimont grips come in a version without the finger grooves (with are for LARGE hands adds almost a 1/2 inch to the front),
    My grips were found in a dusty bag buried on a hook at one of the local shops.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    How does the Buckmark's accuracy compare to the Ruger MkIII? The Ruger is very accurate; I'll give it that--and only that.

Also, what is field stripping the Buckmark like? I can't imagine it could be worse than the Ruger, but it could still be extremely unpleasant.

I think my MkIII will be history as soon as I can figure out what gun would be an accurate alternative that also has a reasonable procedure for field stripping for cleaning.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    From what I've read, the Ruger has a little bit bigger aftermarket, but the Browning is easier to field strip. As far as accuracy, I haven't seen any hard facts that go beyond fanboyish remarks.

No idea if this is typical, but here's a Buckmark breakdown video:

And lots of Buckmark vs Mk 1/2/3 vids on youtube as well.

Wolfmetalfab

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy
    Accuracy, My buckmark isnt bad, when I use to shoot bullseye with it I would drop 2-3 points on the slow fire. But I'm pretty sure both my buckmark and mk ii shoot better then I can...
    One trick for the buckmark field strip is to leave the sight rail attached to the barrel, that way you will keep the sights zeroed for the most part.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    One trick for the buckmark field strip is to leave the sight rail attached to the barrel, that way you will keep the sights zeroed for the most part.

Thanks for that piece of info! If you have to do a re-sight in after every cleaning, I'll spend my money on something else. Somebody has to make a decent .22 target pistol.

Feb 16, 2012
    Woodbine
    Thanks for that piece of info! If you have to do a re-sight in after every cleaning, I'll spend my money on something else. Somebody has to make a decent .22 target pistol.

You don't have to strip every time. I will do it for the first time in a year now that it is starting to misfire occasionally. I just do bore snake and some swabbing without stripping after bringing it out to play and seems to be just fine.

I've shot the Rugers and the BuckMark. To me, the BuckMark is much more small hand/lady friendly. With my BuckMark, I can eject the magazine with my dominant thumb. Grip is just right. Ruger was a bit bulkier and heavy. I think both have excellent accuracy.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    One of the guys at Monumental Rifle and Pistol is selling a Buckmark lab sided with a 4" barrel, blued in great condition for $350.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom