Build a Glock 17L Gen 4 or wait for the possible release.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I have an unhealthy desire to pick up a 17L or 24. I would pick up a G40 gen4 if 10mm wasn't so expensive to shoot. After shooting a gen3 and gen4 glock 17 I do prefer the gen4's. Glock hasn't released a gen4 version of the 17L or 24 yet and I am guessing it will run about $750 if they do.

Alternatively I can get a gen4 g22 ($500) and buy a lone wolf g24 built slide ($325), barrel ($100) and sights ($50). That will run me $975 and I will have the option of a standard size and a long slide for about $225 more than I could pay if I waited for Glock to make one. I would also be missing out on the MOS functionality of the new slides.

I thought about building up a G17 instead but decided to go with the g22 because it has more compatibility. You can get 357 and 9mm conversions for the g22 but you can't go up from 9mm with the 17.

Has anyone here converted a standard glock to a longslide?

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Getting a timberwolf frame from lone wolf and only buying the parts you need to assemble a 17L would probably be a much cheaper option than getting a glock 17 and a whole new slide. I'm trying to decide myself if I should build a 17L or just settle for a glock 34

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Getting a timberwolf frame from lone wolf and only buying the parts you need to assemble a 17L would probably be a much cheaper option than getting a glock 17 and a whole new slide. I'm trying to decide myself if I should build a 17L or just settle for a glock 34

I didn't even think to get just a frame. The timberwolf is 250+ffl fees so it will probably be 200 cheaper in the end. I could also buy a glock gen 4 lower for ~$210.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    The frame for a G17, G34, G22, etc is the same--standard size. (Not for G21, though.)

Lucas Tactical has complete standard GLOCK frames through Gun Broker or Guns America even though they are out of stock on their website.

I paid $230 or $240 shipped for a G17 Gen3 frame for a Lone Wolf build. Lone Wolf slides fit Gen3 or Gen4.

Just search on "GLOCK 17 22 31 GEN 3 FRAME" or GEN 4, if that's what you want. Remember, a Gen 3 slide will fit a Gen 4 frame, but a Gen 4 slide will ONLY fit a Gen 4 frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Just search on "GLOCK 17 22 31 GEN 3 FRAME" or GEN 4, if that's what you want. Remember, a Gen 3 slide will fit a Gen 4 frame, but a Gen 4 slide will ONLY fit a Gen 4 frame.

Well this kills my ideas and thanks for the info. I remember the gen 1,2,3 being interchangeable and figured the 4 was also.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    New idea and I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Get a Glock 40($750) and get a 40 s&w or 9mm conversion barrel($100). I would lean towards the .40 since lone wolf claims you need +P 9mm ammo to get proper cycling on the g40 with a 9mm barrel. This seems less expensive and less frankensteined. I would also get a proper MOS slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom