• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aab23c

Dec 22, 2012
    PG County
    So a while back during the panic I purchased a new frontier armory stripped polymer lower. I decided this would be the weekend to take a lower parts kit and put it together.

I have done some drop in replacements on my bushy ar, so i figured this would be an afternoon of fun....i was wrong.

1. just trying to put the mag catch in was an exercise in futility. it would jam on the way in, and i couldn't figure out why. I finally decided that the "zero slop" tag from NFA meant TIGHT. So I ran over to harbor freight and got some diamond tipped files, and decided to make some slop. After a few minutes of fast motion, boom mag catch...in place and catching, so I thought my lemon for the day was done...NOPE

2. putting the detach pin in place...i am grateful i am wearing my safety glasses, the little ****er of a spring while putting the denten in was stupidity in action. I lost my grip on it and boom, it shot toward the ceiling, and to parts unknown in my office, at least I know it is the room .. somewhere. So open up another spare parts bag, and get another set of spring and denten and after a fight...success

3. putting the trigger and catch in was way harder than it needed to be, again, the holes for the retaining pins were too tight, so file them down some, and in it goes...then the catch, was a pain in the ass with its spring, and I could not get it to line up properly enough to hammer the pin through...for like an HOUR!!! JESUS WTF. finally after my fingers are past a I need a break point it slips just so and all is well...

4. the hammer - first, that ****ing spring was all too much stupid for the day. I nearly gave up, and just when my spirit had broken, and I was ready to cry, it finally gave enough to attach to the hammer. Then getting the hammer in place, I knew would be difficult, and it kept biting me but I got it in place (oh I had to file the retaining pin hole again).

5. The safety - well I had to file even this large hole, and got the safety in, and then...nope did not file enough, because I CANT TURN THE ****ER AT ALL. so now I am stuck trying to hammer it back out so I can file some more...I am giving up and watching some TV for the rest of my weekend...hopefully I can get more done tomorrow after work.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    This maybe basic info, but you will only be able to turn the safety if the hammer is cocked. Same story for putting it in and out of the lower.

KRONIK27

DorseyGS
    Mar 12, 2009
    Washington County
    :lol: I have built both the NFA and ATI poly lower. I feel your pain, but didn't have as many issues as you did. On both lowers I had trouble with the darn Selector just would go in correctly. I finally got it after I had a smoke break and some light filing. I do like the much tighter fit and feel. But I rather build a aluminium lower any day. Just my 2 cents...

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I just did a LW-15. I had to open the mag catch and safety selector area, but other than that, I had no problems with fit. It was nice and tight.

aab23c

Dec 22, 2012
    PG County
    Finished it!! Was not going to be able to sleep otherwise. All I need to do is tighten the castle nut on the tube and its good. Now to pray I don't blow my hand off on the first go with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom