• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    As most of you know, I enjoy building guns in my garage and have built many receivers pre-Oct 1.

Post Oct 1, I haven't built anything but would like to start a new project. Right now, I'm in research phase, but an AK-pistol is high on my list.

I'm considering doing something like a denial bar used to convert full auto parts kits to semi-auto legally (eg. Uzi conversions, MG42, SG-43, conversions, etc.) so that a standard AK stock can not be installed in the receiver that I build. I'd install the denial bar before I made the flat so that I'd never have a stock-capable receiver.

For an AR build, I'd silver solder a pistol extension tube in place before machining the fire control group.

Anyone care to speculate on this plan? I've looked through the law and thus far can't see any reason that this would step over the legal line.

-Jim

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think that's overkill. I'd be a lot more concerned about trying to get ANY AK pistol on the roster first, simply so we have some kind of certainty about how the MSP will treat them.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I think that's overkill. I'd be a lot more concerned about trying to get ANY AK pistol on the roster first, simply so we have some kind of certainty about how the MSP will treat them.

No need for the roster if I'm building at home.... but I agree I'd love to see an attempt to put an AK on the roster.

-Jim

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I agree that you wouldn't need the roster for your own AK pistol. It would merely clarify that AK pistols aren't copies of AK rifles. *sigh*

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    x2, I also first think overkill until I really think about it. Pistol != rifle. But for a moment have you created an assault weapon receiver. Thats one I wouldn't want to be the test case for...

For the AK. Just rivet in a pistol rear trunnion. IMO, Though for a brief moment when the receiver is folded until you rivit in the rear trunnion TECHNICALLY you may have done something bad in MD's eyes? Maybe fold/rivet out of state? Or folded an 80%, rivet in rear trunnion, then drill FCG holes. Though drilling the trunnion holes might go past 80%? Out of state seems easier since folding is so quick;)

The AR is a fuzzier area since the receiver is the same. I wouldn't want to be the test case. You could thread the tube to something different. You have CNC so could threadmill the receiver and buffer tube. Instead of the standard 16tpi do 18tpi. Or left hand threads. No existing product will fit on. Then make a custom matching pistol tube. Or say F-it, thread neither end, press and pin (and/or tack weld) an unthreaded tube. Or step it and slide it in from the front. Or ... (you get the idea)

You bring up good points.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I believe AK pistols are considered "Assault Pistols" and are banned. You may want to check into that first. MFG a banned item is a No-No

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    How about "AK47" in any form?

Yeah, no AK-47's, but AKM's and AK-74's should be fine. One item says "AK-47 in all forms" and the other says "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format." If you build an AK pistol from a stamped receiver flat, it is neither an AK-47 nor a rifle.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    not on the assault pistol list

How about "AK47" in any form?

I've been wrong about this before and had to eat Crow. The MD "assault pistol" list is below. Those are the only banned assault pistols (you can not even build yourself one from scratch.) Only grandfathered & registered ones are still allowed in MD. Carbines, SBRs, and full-on machine guns don't get affected by the list afaik.

§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:

(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;
    (2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;
    (3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;
    (4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;
    (5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;
    (6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;
    (7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;
    (8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    (9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;
    (10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;
    (11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;
    (12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    (13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;
    (14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or
    (15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-1; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    What if you got an 80% lower, stamped it as "AR Pistol Only" and built it out as a pistol? Kind of like how some dealers are saying the lower must be stamped "Heavy Barrel". Jus sayin...

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    What if you got an 80% lower, stamped it as "AR Pistol Only" and built it out as a pistol? Kind of like how some dealers are saying the lower must be stamped "Heavy Barrel". Jus sayin...

A lower receiver that is stamped "Pistol Only" is irrelevant. AFAIK there is no law that prohibits one from building a rifle on a "Pistol Only" receiver.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I've been wrong about this before and had to eat Crow. The MD "assault pistol" list is below. Those are the only banned assault pistols (you can not even build yourself one from scratch.) Only grandfathered & registered ones are still allowed in MD. Carbines, SBRs, and full-on machine guns don't get affected by the list afaik.

Yes, this is exactly right. There is a difference between the assault long guns list, and the assault pistol list.

Additionally, The recent ruling by MSP shows that a handgun cannot be an assault long gun copy. So building an AK47/74 or AR15 pistol at home is completely legal.

If you decide to SBR that pistol, it would be subject to the copycat regs.

-Jim

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I am recently jumping into this and wondering while waiting for the trust, stamps etc. building an AR pistol from the short barrel is legal? oh as long as the butt stock is not sitting nearby.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Yes, this is exactly right. There is a difference between the assault long guns list, and the assault pistol list.

Additionally, The recent ruling by MSP shows that a handgun cannot be an assault long gun copy. So building an AK47/74 or AR15 pistol at home is completely legal.

If you decide to SBR that pistol, it would be subject to the copycat regs.

-Jim

Correct, that is what i got from that letter released by MSP to Engage. As it saddens me that it has to be at 29'". But then again it really isnt that hard to do for an AR. Ill figure it out when it comes to my AKs.

I am recently jumping into this and wondering while waiting for the trust, stamps etc. building an AR pistol from the short barrel is legal? oh as long as the butt stock is not sitting nearby.

Yes, you can have it pre-configured into a pistol setup before you get your approval back. BUT if it started out as a rifle, then no you cannot change it in to a pistol config before your stamp comes back.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    x2, I also first think overkill until I really think about it. Pistol != rifle. But for a moment have you created an assault weapon receiver. Thats one I wouldn't want to be the test case for...

For the AK. Just rivet in a pistol rear trunnion. IMO, Though for a brief moment when the receiver is folded until you rivit in the rear trunnion TECHNICALLY you may have done something bad in MD's eyes? Maybe fold/rivet out of state? Or folded an 80%, rivet in rear trunnion, then drill FCG holes. Though drilling the trunnion holes might go past 80%? Out of state seems easier since folding is so quick;)

You bring up good points.

I was thinking about the pistol trunnion idea. There are AK blanks that are already folded but do not have holes drilled into them. Though by that design it limits you to standard AK configs. No 1.5mm thick ones, or ones that have bulge front trunnions (m85) etc. BUT since ive seen Kingjamez youtube vids for his homemade cans. Im pretty sure he has the ability to modify those blanks to whatever AK pistol he wants.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Correct, that is what i got from that letter released by MSP to Engage. As it saddens me that it has to be at 29'". But then again it really isnt that hard to do for an AR. Ill figure it out when it comes to my AKs.

Yes, you can have it pre-configured into a pistol setup before you get your approval back. BUT if it started out as a rifle, then no you cannot change it in to a pistol config before your stamp comes back.

It will have started out and still is a stripped lower receiver at this point. Do 80% lowers finished pre Oct fit into this scenario in any way?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    This is an AK pistol that one could presumably build at home legally:

Attachments

• pappistolstrap.jpg
      pappistolstrap.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 675

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Wait, AR and AK pistols must be over 29" too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom