• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    I am looking to build an ar10 and have been doing a little research. I am going with the DPMS lower and the precision arms upper. My question is what lower parts kit is best for the .308 and also what length barrel works best. Getting my parts list together so any help and info is appreciated.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    DPMS is a fine company and they make fantastic products.

They look good, they work well, and the price is always right.

If you are going for a basic build, you can't beat DPMS.

I say use them as your sole supplier if you are able to.

As far as barrels go, I have puchased several AR-Stoner barrels with zero complaints.

And Mag-Pul makes great products as well.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    DPMS, CMMG are fine LPKs for a 308 build. Be sure you get a 308lpk, not just one for a 223. The pins and bolt stop catch are different as well as the pivot pin for the bolt stop catch. I opted to go with a triggerless lpk on my first 308 build and used a Jard fully adjustable 3# trigger.

There are lots of quality barrels out there, I went with a JP barrel, but warning.. they are pricey!! Length kind of depends on what you want the final build to be used for. I went with a SST 22" bbl on mine, but it's for long range shooting. I will build one more, probably an 18" barreled shtf 308

Just be sure if you are building a DPMS style rifle, use that type upper, lower and barrel.. they don't mix.. lol

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Lower parts are the same as the AR 15.
    Not quite. While many parts are the same, the pins are larger and longer for the takedown and pivot, the bolt stop catch is significantly larger and the bolt stop catch pin is threaded, not a knock in roll pin.. ;)

yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    I went with dpms because that is what my local gun stores carry and to get it online though cheaper it has to ship to a ffl and shipping and ffl fees make up the difference in price for the lower if i bought it from the store.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Not quite. While many parts are the same, the pins are larger and longer for the takedown and pivot, the bolt stop catch is significantly larger and the bolt stop catch pin is threaded, not a knock in roll pin.. ;)

Sorry, was thinking of FCG parts.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

I found this out the hard way. I purchased a standard AR-15 kit and realized the problem right away.

yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    What length barrel is best for up to 1000 yards. I have the ar15 for shorter ranges up to 300 yards is what I will use that for but this build is for longer ranges 600+.

Did some more research and was wondering if the Black rain or mega arms lowers were any good both have matching uppers so that ensures a snug fit.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I was thinking of doing something like this a few years ago, but there weren't too many .308 parts available then. Can anyone suggest sources for upper receivers, bolt carrier groups, and barrels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom