• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bulgarian Stamped or Bulgarian Milled AK Receiver?

• Total voters

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm not trying to start a debate or argument for STAMPED v MILLED AKM receivers. I pretty much know what I need to know. HOWEVER, my next AKM will be Bulgarian (even if I have to sell a few other firearms). SO, I want to know more about Bulgarian receivers....should I go

STAMPED Receiver (SLR 107 Series)

or

MILLED Receiver (SLR 101 Series)

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Whats the difference between stamped vs. milled and BULGARIAN stamped vs. milled? In my opinion, it's the same debate.

Milled will always have higher wow factor to me. It may or may not be better / worse. Who cares? It's an AK, it'll work and milled is just plain cool.

-Jim

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    pics if this helps

Attachments

• SLR 101.jpg
      SLR 101.jpg
      10.7 KB · Views: 655
    • SLR 107.jpg
      SLR 107.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 631

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Whats the difference between stamped vs. milled and BULGARIAN stamped vs. milled? In my opinion, it's the same debate.

Milled will always have higher wow factor to me. It may or may not be better / worse. Who cares? It's an AK, it'll work and milled is just plain cool.

-Jim

Thanks for the Constructive feedback. :sad20:

I think the US made Milled Receivers aren't the same quality as the Bulgarian. I've seen several US made receivers that are just crap (ie ATI Milled Receiver). THere are also some US made Stamped receivers that just isn't quality (ie Blackthorn and I've read a few other receivers are so great like. I also know that hte Chinese stamped are excellent bc theyare 1.6mm vs 1.0 mm)

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    I want a 101 so bad it makes me sick.My stamped are DCI on 2 Yugo's. Nodak on 1 Lancaster. My SGL's would be my SHTF rifle. The next one I buy and therafter will be Arsenal built in some form. The 101 is absolutely the thing to get in my book.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm not trying to start a debate or argument for STAMPED v MILLED AKM receivers. I pretty much know what I need to know.

Believe me, I'm not trying to be "non-constructive" as you put it.

What I am saying is that the only difference between those two rifles is stamped vs. milled. If you don't want to talk about stamped vs. milled, then there isn't anything to talk about, just buy what you like.

If you DO want to talk about stamped vs. milled, the answer is still the same. Buy what you like, it won't make a lick of difference when you're shooting the gun. It will make a lick of difference when you are showing it off.

-Jim

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Believe me, I'm not trying to be "non-constructive" as you put it.

What I am saying is that the only difference between those two rifles is stamped vs. milled. If you don't want to talk about stamped vs. milled, then there isn't anything to talk about, just buy what you like.

If you DO want to talk about stamped vs. milled, the answer is still the same. Buy what you like, it won't make a lick of difference when you're shooting the gun. It will make a lick of difference when you are showing it off.

-Jim

Roger that!! my apologies if I took your reply the wrong way.:thumbsup:

I already own a Milled Bulgarian its the best AKM I own. Quality is fantasticexcellent!!! Should I got with the SLR107 or go with another Milled? I'm leaning toward the Milled bc of my experience with it.

FPS

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you don't have a milled gun yet, you need one. The craftsmanship on the older milled stuff is always better, but even the newer milled stuff feels more like quality.

The folder on the stamped is a real nice feature though, can't get anything like that on a milled. Personally I'd rather have the folder since there's very little difference in terms of shootability between the two.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well...milled is definately nicer looking...as far as better/worse...Kingjamez has a point to be made...afterall...how many stamped AK's did the Soviets, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese and countless others make....most of which still work today....:-) Chew on that for a minute or two...hahahahahha

Get the one YOU like better.....don't think you are gonna wear either one out....

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As much as I love my trusty slr95 and Sam5. The slr106 series is very refined for what it is. Price equal I would go 106 or 107

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Buddy -read your own words - it sure reads like you want a milled receiver on your next gun - but just in case I'm wrong... buy one of each - debate over - happy shooting

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    While milled looks cool a quality stamped gun will match its performance. For example my slr106 and Sam5 perform exactly the same.

That said I would like to snag a slr7r

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom