• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So my storage is generally components separated in to plastic bags in bins of same caliber (cases and bullets). Does anyone have suggestions on good sturdy bags? Heavy duty freezer bags are not tough enough one your start talking 1k 9mm or 500 45 bullets or a gallon bag of cases. I am thinking a 4 mil bag might be sufficient, but no idea. I get bullets all the time in heavy duty plastic bags, but of course once I break in to them, transferring to something resealable is nice.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Do you live in an especially humid area? Why not pack them in ammo cans with some desiccant and call it a day? Ammo doesn't have to be pretty to go bang.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    So my storage is generally components separated in to plastic bags in bins of same caliber (cases and bullets). Does anyone have suggestions on good sturdy bags? Heavy duty freezer bags are not tough enough one your start talking 1k 9mm or 500 45 bullets or a gallon bag of cases. I am thinking a 4 mil bag might be sufficient, but no idea. I get bullets all the time in heavy duty plastic bags, but of course once I break in to them, transferring to something resealable is nice.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
    Are you talking about bullets for reloading or AMMO? They AIN'T the same thing.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    Between the cat and my grapefruit addiction, I have tons of these. They're great because they're square. They don't waste space.
    jugs.jpg

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    VCI vapor control sumpting bags. I have used Zerust. 5 years effective. Another VCI is polygunbag.com--Brass and ammo.
    Bullets because the bags are thick.

paperwork351

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Processed brass going into clean 5-gal buckets with lids. Pills, store bought or home cast go into 50 cal ammo cans. Loaded ammo, training pistol ammo loose packed in ammo cans. Other ammo is boxed and then canned.

If I don't have ammo boxes I buy more here:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve used these bags from unline to hold samples. They’re very strong. What size are you looking for?

Something to hold around 1000 9mm bullets or around the same number of cases.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do you live in an especially humid area? Why not pack them in ammo cans with some desiccant and call it a day? Ammo doesn't have to be pretty to go bang.
    The problem comes in when I have like 8 different makes of 9mm bullets, half a dozen of 45acp, etc. It ends up being a LOT of ammo boxes. And in most cases the volumes are such where what I have in one bullet, might make up half or a third of a .30 caliber can. I leave stuff in the boxes it came with, but I buy a fair amount of bulk/2nds that comes in heavy weight plastic bags. Once I open the bags, there is no way to reseal them. And depending on what I am doing, I might have 2 or 3 different things open "at a time" before I use it all up.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The problem comes in when I have like 8 different makes of 9mm bullets, half a dozen of 45acp, etc. It ends up being a LOT of ammo boxes. And in most cases the volumes are such where what I have in one bullet, might make up half or a third of a .30 caliber can. I leave stuff in the boxes it came with, but I buy a fair amount of bulk/2nds that comes in heavy weight plastic bags. Once I open the bags, there is no way to reseal them. And depending on what I am doing, I might have 2 or 3 different things open "at a time" before I use it all up.
    That makes sense, and I better understand the conundrum.

You can get the heavy duty Ziploc bags on Amazon, but they aren't exactly cheap. They'd get the job done though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That makes sense, and I better understand the conundrum.

You can get the heavy duty Ziploc bags on Amazon, but they aren't exactly cheap. They'd get the job done though.
    So I grabbed some from there, proline I think was the brand? They make a ton of plastic stuff. 6x10” 6 mil. So that’s twice a thick as a “heavy duty” freezer bag and slightly more than a quart (typically 7x8”) in size. 50 were $24. Like you said, not cheap. But they should be pretty reusable. I hope. And that should last me a long time. I may need to grab some of the next size up 8x10 or 10x12” bags for when I want to shove a ton of cases in something.

Sort of the same deal there. I have a bunch dirty. A bunch cleaned. A bunch resized and trimmed. Kind of all stages. Mostly for pistol it’s either dirty or clean and ready to load. But Rifle sometimes it’s all three. And I try to keep track of how many reloads my rifle brass has. So I might have a bag of “range brass” a bag of “two reloads” “three reloads” etc.

I probably do need some 2 gallon buckets to better hold some calibers like 9mm and .223 where I just have a ton. Obvious not as much as mister “I use 5-gallon buckets to hold my brass” :-)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They are a bit assymetrical, though. I hear that happens sometimes.
    Look, free is for me. So long as the wife doesn't find out.

And if she does, I am not sure how those got here, it was a friend, and no I didn't touch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom