• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    What bullet feeder die does everyone use? Lee has a new one that I want but it is not going to be available until March.

I am looking for an audible alarm powder check die. What do you have that you like? What recommendations can you make?

I am looking at this one but does not include an audible alarm. Probably not a big deal if I can't find one.

Hornady Powder Check

Also looking for a bullet feeder die.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was looking at this. What do I do with the powder funnel piece? Where does it go? It looks like a separate die from the instructions.

Powder funnel piece goes in your Dillon-style powder die to produce a case mouth expansion that will be more amenable to the bullet feeder operating correctly.

I use the DAA magnetic powder checks. The newest version is reasonably good, but they tend to be a little hit or miss due to how they can push powder out of the way. They are good at catching double charges or no charges, certainly.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Powder funnel piece goes in your Dillon-style powder die to produce a case mouth expansion that will be more amenable to the bullet feeder operating correctly.

I use the DAA magnetic powder checks. The newest version is reasonably good, but they tend to be a little hit or miss due to how they can push powder out of the way. They are good at catching double charges or no charges, certainly.

Ah ok. So without a Dillon powder feed I guess I just don't use that part. I have the Lee powder feeder.

I was going to get that DAA powder checker too.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I decided to go with the simple Hornady powder check. I am not going to be running so many cartridges that I need an audible alert and it is just more to break.

I am considering that "Mini Mr Bullet Feeder" but might just wait for the new Lee feeder to come out. I also see the MUCH cheaper older Lee model does work on the new 6 press so maybe that one. The thing with that one is it uses the same station as the bullet seat die so that gives me an extra station (not that I need one).

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You need to expand the case mouths to accommodate the bullet being fed by the feeder. Just simple flaring is not the best way. Using either an M die (or similar expander) in station 1 or the powder funnel in the powder measure/feeder to expand the case mouth so the bullet will sit in it enough to not fall off as you are rotating the shell plate. I do both, depending on my brass (prepped or not) and both work great with the mini. I use a Dillon powder measure, so it will accept the powder funnel and there are companies out there that make some designed specifically for certain applications.

I presently don't run a powder check, it has issues with my setup unless I invest in new powder measure bars and I have opted to just be my own powder check... Damn I hate when I double charge one at the very end by accident tho... LOL

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You need to expand the case mouths to accommodate the bullet being fed by the feeder. Just simple flaring is not the best way. Using either an M die (or similar expander) in station 1 or the powder funnel in the powder measure/feeder to expand the case mouth so the bullet will sit in it enough to not fall off as you are rotating the shell plate. I do both, depending on my brass (prepped or not) and both work great with the mini. I use a Dillon powder measure, so it will accept the powder funnel and there are companies out there that make some designed specifically for certain applications.

I presently don't run a powder check, it has issues with my setup unless I invest in new powder measure bars and I have opted to just be my own powder check... Damn I hate when I double charge one at the very end by accident tho... LOL

Thanks. I went ahead and bought Lee's older original model bullet-feeder. For $43 shipped I can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom