• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Anyone care to discuss bullet pulling tools. I need to get one of the few that are out there.

Regards, R

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd recommend getting the RCBS collet puller. It's a lot less hassle, safer and it you've got more than a few rounds to disassemble it's much faster.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have the RCBS inertia puller hammer thingy and the Hornady collet puller for the press.

Of the two, I prefer the ease of the collet, but sometimes the bullet is seated too deep, so I use the inertia hammer.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ive used the inertia and collet pullers.. i like the collet puller better.. broke the inertia after couple dozen times ive used it..

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Inertial puller works great when you want to reuse the bullet. A collet puller marks the ogive which may or may not affect the accuracy if the bullet is reused. If you crimp your rounds, expect a lot of hammering or use the seater die, set the stem lower to break the crimp.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    TO ALL:
    Thanks for all the replies, the "press" tool seems to be the way to go,,,,and a hammer
    just in case ;o)

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    hornady cam lock bullet puller works great and easy to use play with them at work usually able to get a couple thousand rounds pulled between breaks. usually the handle breaks if not used right.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The collet type works best if you are not using cast bullets. if you use cast bullets the collet will not grip tight enough to pull the bullet.

The hammer style works best for cast bullets but is slow and messy, with this type you can use your shell holder to speed up things a little

I have both and recommend that you invest in both.

One point of caution, do not pull any rim fire rounds with eather puller.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    hornady cam lock bullet puller works great and easy to use play with them at work usually able to get a couple thousand rounds pulled between breaks. usually the handle breaks if not used right.

I just have to ask, Why would have to pull a couple thousand rounds?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I just have to ask, Why would have to pull a couple thousand rounds?

You might find or be given a bunch of ammo you aren't interested in shooting. For instance, find a bunch of someone's deceased spouse's reloads at a yard sale. You don't know anything about how they were reloaded by you want to salvage the components. Or, you find a good deal on some surplus ammo and just want to salvage one part of it. It might have steel bullets you can't shoot at your range for instance.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    If I may "wake up" and hijack this old thread...

I have some lead bullets I crimped to tight and I'm worried about pressure build up. Being that they are crimped so tight it took about 14 whacks to get it out with the inertia tool...even after I used the seater die stem at a lower point to break the crimp.

Can the Hornady cam lock bullet puller work on cast bullets? I don't really care about the bullets, but I'd like to use the shell, primer and powder.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If I may "wake up" and hijack this old thread...

I have some lead bullets I crimped to tight and I'm worried about pressure build up. Being that they are crimped so tight it took about 14 whacks to get it out with the inertia tool...even after I used the seater die stem at a lower point to break the crimp.

Can the Hornady cam lock bullet puller work on cast bullets? I don't really care about the bullets, but I'd like to use the shell, primer and powder.

it may be a lil soft but should work.. i used it on rainer which is plated and it works just fine.. the bullet may not be reusable afterwards.

the collet has some a bit of a groove/lip to grab the bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom