• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For no more expensive than these things are, I'm surprised I don't have one on my Dillon 550 yet.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore

Attachments

• DSCF3666.JPG
      DSCF3666.JPG
      209.8 KB · Views: 29

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For no more expensive than these things are, I'm surprised I don't have one on my Dillon 550 yet.
    Is this what you're looking for?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I used one of the automotive LED Halo ring lights.

Grandview 2x 110mm Angel Eyes Halo Ring Lamp Light Bulb 82SMD Headlight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJKFRDI/

$10 for two of them. It doesn’t come with a power supply but I’ve got tons of those things in a box, waiting for projects like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Same press and same light. I can see so much better with the extra illumination.
    For sure. Without the light, even though my gun room has a pair of strip 3000lm lights on the ceiling, I pretty much can't see in a case without that press light on. With it on, I swear I can see the powder level in the case through the side of the casing its that bright.

Okay, well maybe not THAT bright, but I'd bet that's a 200-300lm light RIGHT there. Now I am only limited by powder fill and cartridge to see in it. 5.5gr of Bullseye in a 357 case is still pretty danged hard to see without leaning over. 20gr of H110 in a 357 is REAL easy to see. Though not without the press light on.

TBH, one of the things I like about the lee classic. Both very fast to swap calibers I am reloading, but also so long as I am not totally zoned out, with a light on the press it is extremely easy to see the fact that I charged a case and no risk of walking away and forgetting something part way done.

I HAVE squib loaded rounds before. Twice. NEVER shot them. It was loading 9mm after loading several different calibers on the press that day (like 500-600 rounds of 45, .223 and I think some 32acp). I had messed something up and for some reason (I can't remember why) I had taken my Lee auto drum off, and turned the powder off on the hopper. I forgot to turn it back on, so while I was paying attention at first, it was still charging cases. A dozen or so later and it ran out. But of course I was letting it drop the cases right in a bin and I was NOT emptying the bin very often. Usually I empty the bin every 20-30 rounds just in case there is a problem. I don't want to find the problem round in there. For. This. Exact. Reason.

Opps. Yeah, I had maybe 50 rounds in the bin. I didn't think the round before was a total squib, but the one on the press I was about to seat a bullet on was. Did I run out of powder in the case on the last round? Was it a 100% charge and this one was empty? Was the last one also empty? Was it a 10% charge? An 80% charge?

Anyway, that was a nice 20 minutes of my inertial hammer taking rounds apart. As it turns out, the one on the press was completely empty, and two rounds had only about 2-3gr of the 4.3gr they were supposed to have of Bullseye in them. So they might have fired okay, but of course way under powered.

Reinforced for me to empty the bin no more than about 20 rounds at a time in it to another bin. That way if I discover something like that, I don't have a crap ton of rounds to take apart.

The other time is why I implemented that empty the bin often (I have an in-line autoeject on the press). 45acp if I remember right. I was starting to zone a bit and I didn't run the round up into the powder through case expander, the bullet managed to seat okay, and then in to the bin it went...and it took my brain that like 3 seconds to process what I'd just done and do a "fugh!". 30 rounds in the bin. I weighed them all and took apart the lightest round, which turned out to, yes, actually be the empty case (considering that the weight variance was about 6gr across all 30 loading in to mixed head stamp brass and I was loading 5gr of BE that was a bit of luck). And I knew it was only the one round.

I decided to call it quits and go get a snack and go back to loading the next day.

Just like construction, once you screw something up and you know it is because you were tired, need to stop before you keep screwing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom