• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Say the seller only want local transaction to avoid fraud.

Can I ask my friend in that state to present my signed C&R copy license, exam the C&R item and pay with my certified check. Then the seller ship it to me.

Is this illegal in any way?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't think you can send a firearm thru the mail unless you are an 01. OP did say "ship", so I think he already knew this.

More certain that you can't legally buy a gun with the intention of selling it to someone else unless you have a license

The OP scheme seems 100% legal. Nothing wrong with your "agent" inspecting the gun, handing over the payment and doing the shipping if the seller agrees.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't think you can send a firearm thru the mail unless you are an 01.

Wha?

Except as described in 432.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Except as described in 432.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.

:thumbsup:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks, I stand corrected.

Wha?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Umm ... I read 432.2a to end with

432.2a deals only with handguns. An 03 FFL can mail a C&R firearm as long as it's not a handgun. An 03 FFL can mail a handgun only if it is an antique. In other words, "Except for handguns, an 03 FFL may mail a curio or relic firearm to another 03 FFL in any state."

I promise you that a 03FFL may mail a rifle or shotgun that is a curio or relic firearm.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    432.2a deals only with handguns. An 03 FFL can mail a C&R firearm as long as it's not a handgun. An 03 FFL can mail a handgun only if it is an antique. In other words, "Except for handguns, an 03 FFL may mail a curio or relic firearm to another 03 FFL in any state."

I promise you that a 03FFL may mail a rifle or shotgun that is a curio or relic firearm.

That is exactly as I read it. :thumbsup:

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    my friend pay the seller in person is also important. so the seller get paid for the item he sells. a lot of sellers don't like paypal for whatever reason.

There is nothing illegal about this. Having your friend deliver a copy of the FFL to the seller is no different than having the mailman deliver it to him.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    understood. but how you can be sure the seller will send you the item after the seller cash yiur money?

Maybe it's just me but I'd prefer the mailman drop off a certified check rather than have a random stranger bring it to my house.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    understood. but how you can be sure the seller will send you the item after the seller cash yiur money?

That's a very valid point. I have bought a few off of Gunbroker and so far, so good. I always look at the seller's feedback before I bid to get a feel for how he treats buyers. I always send a postal money order because I have heard that if you pay that way and get scammed the postal inspectors investigate (not syre if that is really true or not)
    From the OP I thought this was something that that the seller was insisting on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom