• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Saw good reviews on the internet, with quite a few reviews of people saying they mounted them on AR-15s and AKs without problems. I wasn't looking for anything too fancy, but I wanted something a bit better than an airsoft red dot clone. Well, I mounted one on my AR-15, and it worked great for two range trips. Third range trip: first shot was on target, second shot the reticle was off. I figured it was no big deal, I'd changed the reticle I was using (it has 4) and heard that can cause issues. I couldn't even zero it again due to the reticle bouncing all over the place after every shot. The sight wasn't loose on the rail, and the rail wasn't loose on the firearm. Thus I'm led to believe there is a problem with the sight itself. Just an opinion to consider, nothing more.

http://www.sightmark.com/products/reflex-sights/sure-shot-black-sm13003b

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Have you checked with sightmark I have had some issues and they have stood by their product.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Too many stories just like yours regarding various red dots is exactly why I just save my pennies for Aimpoints and Eotech's. I completely understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on a red dot but you can pick up an Aimpoint PRO for $360 if you look hard enough. Instead of spending $150 in a cheap sight that may or may not prove it's worth in a time of need, just save up $200 more and get something that you know can go through hell and back while still holding zero.

Trust me. I know from experience that the following saying is dead accurate. "Buy Once Cry Once."

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Too many stories just like yours regarding various red dots is exactly why I just save my pennies for Aimpoints and Eotech's. I completely understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on a red dot but you can pick up an Aimpoint PRO for $360 if you look hard enough. Instead of spending $150 in a cheap sight that may or may not prove it's worth in a time of need, just save up $200 more and get something that you know can go through hell and back while still holding zero.

Trust me. I know from experience that the following saying is dead accurate. "Buy Once Cry Once."

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I agree completely, but I was looking for something to throw on one of my range toys. I'm talking about an AR-15 that I might take out once every month or two and I don't want to have to take a sight off one of my other weapons, zero it for the range trip, take it off, and then re-zero it when it goes back on the original firearm (I have iron sights on it, but I do enjoy using a red dot or holo sight on it, personal preference). Wish I could afford an Aimpoint or EOTech for all my firearms, but unfortunately only one gets that privilege so far.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the model you link to is good for 22s, you wanted the ultra pro that looks loke a backwards eotech.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have a digital one by them that has worked flawlessly at indoor ranges and overcast days. Bright sunny days its no go.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Sounds like the LED module broke loose inside it's housing. Something that can happen to even the best red dots. I used to have a Sig P229 Sport, which was a model they used to make that came with a comp on the end of the barrel. I slide mounted a Pride-Fowler Spec Ops mini red dot ($300) on a Doctor mount. Heavy recoil as the gun was in 357 Sig. Its LED broke lose one year also. Sent it back and they fixed it no questions asked.
    If you want a reflex red dot that will not have that problem, or the other issues some of those Asian built red dots get and you don't want to pay $380+ for a mil-spec one, then consider a C-More Railway ($206 when on sale at Midway). Thousands of professional shooters can't be wrong who use them.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    For the "you get what you pay for" crowd, in this case I didn't. On one of my ARs I have a $20 BSA red dot I got 8-9 years ago for $20 that still works like a champ. I was hoping for a slight upgrade from that for a different firearm. Like most shooters I know, I can't afford to put Aimpoints or EOTechs on all my personal firearms so I do need some "value" sights to fill the gap.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Primary arms makes some good Aimpoint knock offs that I have not had any issues with. They cost more than most Sight mark stuff and less then real aimpoints. Only thing is they do not make a reflex sight.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Please check the loctited screw on the bottom of the sight. If the sight slightly rocks while attached to the rail, this is giving you the error. I think the sight is fine, but mine needed tightening of the screw that;s underneath the sight.

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    Sightmark

I have a sightmark holographic on my AR 15 (the one that looks like a backwards eotech) it was $100 and quite frankly I love it. It is on par with any eotech I've used. and it's $300 less. I shot it at the range just yesterday and it is dead on. The reticle is bright even in bright sunlight. I also have the sight mark 3x magnifier, although that leaves a lot to be desired. So big thumbs up for the holographic sight, but save your money when it comes to the magnifier, or just use a dedicated optic with magnification. I had one of those cheapy red dots, I think it was a NCstar on my Shernic bullpup SKS and it couldn't handle the recoil, kept flicking on and off when I would shoot. Cheap optics are hit or miss, but I can't say enough good things about the sightmark holo.

Chris Rummel

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I had a brand new Tasco red dot and a lens inside the unit came loose. Never had a problem with two very old Tascos. No quality control on the new ones from China. I sent it back to Bushnell (Parent Co.) for repair and they told me they had to wait for the next shipment from China to send me a new one. Like the previous poster stated, you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom