• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Hi Folks:

I am thinking about buying a Marlin 795LTR (Appleseed Set Up) from Davidson's and they mention the MD requirement for a spent shell casing adding an unknown amount of cost. Does anyone here have any experience with buying a .22LR rifle and needing to get the casing thing done? The Davidson's site lists some FFLs that they work with but it is unclear if any of them can do the casing thing. I just don't want to end up with a hassle. Thanks in advance for any input.

WGS

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    There is no requirement for a spent shell casing for any rifle/long gun. It is exclusively a handgun thing.

If they try to charge you for it, shop elsewhere.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks guys, you are the best! I thought that was the case but since the web site kept throwing up that warning I thought I would ask here. Again thanks!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Wow. I never heard that from anyone else. Mine is the best rifle I've ever owned (for the money).

I concur. I've had one for quite a while and its stupid accurate out of the box. I threw a Walmart center pointe on it and its endless fun my myself and my little guys. I don't think I've ever even had a ftf or fte with it and I've run every kind of 22lr you can think of thru it. I would buy again...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    There is not and never has been a MD shell casing requirement for long guns. Other than NFA items, all legal long guns sales in MD as of Oct 1st are cash and carry, meaning MD does not regulate them in any way.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Really?

/scratches off list...

Wow. I never heard that from anyone else. Mine is the best rifle I've ever owned (for the money).

I concur. I've had one for quite a while and its stupid accurate out of the box. I threw a Walmart center pointe on it and its endless fun my myself and my little guys. I don't think I've ever even had a ftf or fte with it and I've run every kind of 22lr you can think of thru it. I would buy again...

It was accurate however the problem was after about 50 rounds it became too dirty to function no matter what ammo I used. Maybe I got a lemon but it left a bad taste in my mouth for Marlin Semis

El- I mean I recall the thread we had when we both got ours a couple years back I was just really starting to buy a lot of guns and I had that a Mossberg 702, Marlin 795 and 10/22 of the three the Marlin was worse than the Mossberg.

I am glad you guys Marlins work I just had some bad luck

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012

I'm with Kman. My 795 is accurate, fun, reliable, fun.....and did I say reliable. Especially when cost is considered, it is a terrific buy. I have not had any issues.

Sirex