• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    By the time you pay shipping and FFL fees you'll be spending far more than the gun will be worth. By in state, avoid the hassle, save and its cash and carry. Then enjoy a nice rifle. I have a hoot shooting mine.

The model I am buying is the 795 LTR which is a "special" Marlin made to support the Appleseed Project. From I can tell it can only be bought from Davidson's. I assume that some money goes to Appleseed so I have no problem paying a little extra and I comes with different sights, the sling an extra magazine (which I understand are hard to find) and certificate for an Appleseed course.

Ganegrei, thanks for the offer but I figured out that they pop that warning on any firearm purchase where MD is the destination. I am all set.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    The model I am buying is the 795 LTR which is a "special" Marlin made to support the Appleseed Project. From I can tell it can only be bought from Davidson's. I assume that some money goes to Appleseed so I have no problem paying a little extra and I comes with different sights, the sling an extra magazine (which I understand are hard to find) and certificate for an Appleseed course.

Ganegrei, thanks for the offer but I figured out that they pop that warning on any firearm purchase where MD is the destination. I am all set.

I'm not sure if any money actually goes to Appleseed. You may want to check on that if that's the main reason you want that model.

I've got pretty much the same gun. It's just your basic Marlin 795 with 2 mags instead of 1, a sling, and TechSights already installed.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How much is it.
    I have a 795 and tech sights on it.
    Bass Pro and Dicks has them usually
    Then order tech sights and put on a sling, done.
    Installing the tech sights is a breeze and sighting in the Tech sights is a right of passage that won't take long anyway.
    I've shot the 795 indoors standing at 25yds as well as from a bench outdoors hitting steel plates at 100yds.
    Any issues I had were mostly ammo. Any brand that gave me trouble also gave my friends 10/22 trouble too. Zilch issues with minimags, only the 4cent/round cheap stuff like golden bullets and Federal bulk with the rims that are not consistent like the minimags.

795 is really light, I think thats its niche. not as finished as the 10/22 though.
    I do like the last shot hold on the 795.

Come to think of it, after about 2000 rounds, a Pin on the hammer started to slide out and get caught and caused misfires, I pushed it in after putting a dab of blue loctite and no issues since.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Gswayne, I didn't know that. Good luck in your endeavor.

I have an inexpensive reflex sight on mine, set up strictly for steel and close in shooting out to 25 yards. I used a traditional 3-9 scope on it and it proved very consistent and reasonably accurate. Not as accurate as my Marlin bolt action but confidence inspiring.

Last edited:

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    The Project Appleseed Marlin from Davidsons is very good deal. I am an instructor with Project Appleseed and have seen mostly positive feedback on the forums there. Minor issues such as loose rear sights that need need tightened and mags being tight in the magwell.

You should be able to get this rifle for about $260. Think about the added value of the included options. Appleseed gift certificate ($80), Tech sights ($60), GI sling ($12), sling swivels ($10) and a spare mag ($15). This makes the price of the actual rifle pretty reasonable.

PLUS - Using the Appleseed gift certificate to attend an Appleseed - PRICELESS! :lol:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    El- I mean I recall the thread we had when we both got ours a couple years back I was just really starting to buy a lot of guns and I had that a Mossberg 702, Marlin 795 and 10/22 of the three the Marlin was worse than the Mossberg.

Damn, I do remember that. Sorry you had bad luck with yours. I have no complaints on my end and I'm typically the type that can break anything. Either way, I figure its a toy and if it does turn south ill break it in half and buy something different. ;)

Rain

Sep 28, 2013
    College Park
    I've had extractor issues with my 795 for some reason.. The should be ejected round gets jammed sideways and above the chambered round.. This has happened with Remington and CCI rounds. Anyone else similar issue?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I'm looking at the same gun too. Gallery of Guns has them for a bit over $300.

Isn't Gallery of Guns and Davidson's the same thing?

Looked there earlier today at a Henry and got notices for everything I looked at that nothing was available from them to me in the DPRMD.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Damn, I do remember that. Sorry you had bad luck with yours. I have no complaints on my end and I'm typically the type that can break anything. Either way, I figure its a toy and if it does turn south ill break it in half and buy something different. ;)

Hey I am happy for you man i wish mine was that nice

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have two papooses which are basically the same both great guns and one has never been cleaned

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Bought my dad a Model 795 for Christmas. My how they have "cheapened" them compared to when the 795 came out. Polymer trigger guard, clunky sounding stock with integral sling swivel mounts (don't like) just for starters. It shot pretty well at 50 yards with Aguila high velocity ammo. We did experience one jam just like someone mentioned...the spent shell casing lodged sideways above a live round that had almost chambered completely. I definitely like the older 795 that my brother has from the late 90s.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Marlin 795

I've had extractor issues with my 795 for some reason.. The should be ejected round gets jammed sideways and above the chambered round.. This has happened with Remington and CCI rounds. Anyone else similar issue?

I realize this is an old thread. But I have a 795 that has this same problem. On mine, however, it does shoot CCI mini mag 40 gr round nose without any problem. Any other ammo I have tried gets the FTE problem you described.

Did you ever find a solution?

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I think that is just a generic statement for the comrades of Marylandistan

Um... I don't think I follow your sense of humor...

Anyway, one thing that I think I have determined is that my new 795 shoots round nose bullets much better than hollow points. I put about 500 rounds through it today with only 2 FTE. I was using CCI Blazer. I also put about 225 rounds of CCI mini mag 40 gr round nose through it yesterday with zero FTE.

Two brands (recommended in the marlin 795 manual) that were hollow points caused FTE about once or twice for every 10 round magazine. Those were winchester high velocity and federal high velocity.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    Translation Maryland has some of the most draconian gun laws in the country and that standard boiler plate is their way of covering their butts

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Biggest issue with mine is it will walk a scope and mounts along the dovetail. Never had a 22 do that but apparently there was enough bolt momentum and scope inertia to do it. I am using a reflex sight now without issue. I did run the rails with a scrape to increase friction some.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    My experience with Davidsons is that they give you a list of local dealers with the price and handling fees. I think they put the shell case disclaimer on everything for MD. Doesn't mean you'll have to do it. As long as they'll send to a MD FFL you'll be OK as the FFL won't do a shell casing. I think they are just saying their may be an extra dealer fee for a casing.
    They're not shipping direct are they? I thought they were just distributors with a dealer net work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom