Buying a new gun... with a scratch on it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    How do you guys feel about buying a new gun that may have some small scratches or nicks somewhere on the finish?

I recently put some cash down on a XD40 Sub in Bi-tone and after handling the gun for a second time this past weekend, while waiting for the paperwork to come back, I noticed a nice little scratch on the slide just above the take down latch.

Well, this sort of thing just bugs the hell out of me, it's like buying a new car with a scratch on it to me. lol.

Should I expect a production gun like the XD to have a flawless finish? Or are my expectations to high?

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I would want it to be perfect. At the same time if its a gun out of the showcase I could see where it may have some marks on it from careless shoppers. If the latter is the case I still would be willing to buy if they knocked a few bucks off. I wouldn't be looking for too much of a discount but at least make me feel I got a better deal because of the blemishes.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Are you going to shoot it or frame it on a wall?

I wouldn't worry about it if it's something athat normal shooting use will produce in short order.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They will get scratches, depending on the price you could take it or not. However I agree with you when you buy a standard "new production" gun from a major manufacturer you expect perfection.

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    My take on it is, if your buying a new gun, it should look it. We all know it will end up with a scratch or nick at some point, but you should be the one to put it there, not someone else. They were making more XD's when they made that one, give me one of those that looks factory fresh or give me discount. In my mind, it's really quite simple.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    My take on it is, if your buying a new gun, it should look it. We all know it will end up with a scratch or nick at some point, but you should be the one to put it there, not someone else. They were making more XD's when they made that one, give me one of those that looks factory fresh or give me discount. In my mind, it's really quite simple.

+1

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I have had my share of "$20.00 Scratches". I would normally discount a scratched or blemished item.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    That would bug the hell out of me too. If I was buying a new pistol it better look NEW. Either have them order another, take some cash off or pull out of the deal. Its you're $$ you should be absolutely happy with the deal!

my $0.02

NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks for the advice guys, I also found a small chip in one of the white dots of the rear sight. I said WTF to the Guy behind the counter, Tyrone. He seems to feel that some handling marks are appearing on the guns due to the fact that they now put the entire store inventory of guns in the safe every night.

Several 1911s in the case had easily visable handling marks on them, especially the stainless ones.

NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    I wanted to say that I really like the way Basspro handles their inventory. They have a display model for every gun they sell, so when you make your choice, you get a new un-messed around with gun that is stored in it's original case.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wanted to say that I really like the way Basspro handles their inventory. They have a display model for every gun they sell, so when you make your choice, you get a new un-messed around with gun that is stored in it's original case.

thanks for the compliment! you usually get a perfect new gun cept when you buy the ones in the case. they're scratched every once in a while by either careless people taking them out of the display and banging them on the racks or shoppers. we also have to take all the guns out every night and lock them up in the back. we try to take care of people and give them their money's worth for the most part. the worst is the rifles we have out with the shoppers...little kids are good for doing everything from play-shooting each other to sword-fighting with them. i'm constantly yelling at people to watch how they handle them and to remember basic safety rules. i wish they'd lock them up better. i'd say try to get a few bucks off, it's worth a shot. i like the comparison to buying a new car..part of the joy of a new car is that every little scratch on it brings back a memory, a gun should be the same way.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland

I'll second that one...
    of course it depends on where and how bad the scratch is...
    At the prices we pay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom