• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got a Phone Call from Engage - the Police called them to say 3k rounds of
    7.62x39 was sitting on the front porch of a house 2 streets away with my name on it.
    Both streets name started with letter 'D', but not even close otherwise.
    I drove over and Montgomery County's finest watched as I loaded the cases into my van.
    Pretty weird occurance.
    Apparently the Homeowner knew ORM-D was explosives of some sort and called the cops.
    This was a Saturday. Imagine if it were a Sunday, when Engage was closed.

ORM-D isn't necessarily "explosive". I forget what I just ended up getting, I want to say it was carb cleaner from Amazon and it shipped ORM-D.

"Packages bearing this mark contain hazardous material in a limited quantity that presents a limited hazard during transportation, due to its form, quantity, and packaging."

And yes, that is how ammo ships. Primers and powder ship with an additional label on them of hazardous, explosive (I forget the exact label).

Sadly, some sellers helpfully ship their ammo in packages labeled ORM-D, with an extra helpful "SMALL ARMS CARTRIDGES" on there. Just to help anyone who might be interested in stealing it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah but the incident commander might decide not to risk his team.

Or maybe they just like watching fireworks.

Some men like to watch the world burn. Especially when there are lovely pops, bangs and fireworks associated.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    When the SHTF and we start to experience EOTWAWKI, then ammo and guns are going worth more than their weight in Gold, Food or Water.

I'd rather be the guy with all the guns and ammo to trade than the guy with all the gold, food and water. If the deal gets busted and the situation becomes a shitshow then the odds are that the guy with all the guns and ammo is probably going to be the guy with all the gold, food and water at the end of the day as well.

It's fun to make your own battle packs with a Seal-a-Meal and your wife's old Tupperware or mason jars. Already to cache or take on the boat for your next accident.

Recycling Tip - Remember to save your old desiccant packs from coffee and electronics.

Might not hurt to diversify ones investment/retirement portfolio to include ammunition.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    The Ministry of Truthiness does it's best to terrify people about arms. The word "arsenal" is used to describe what many gun owners think of as a good start. Here's an example:
    Philadelphia police seize massive arsenal of weapons from suicidal man's home
    The man, who has been hospitalized, had at least 39 guns, multiple grenades and more than 2,000 rounds of ammunition, according to police.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ons-suicidal-philadelphia-man-s-home-n1048116

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming .

The only time to have too much ammo is when you're moving out of state. Most moving companies charge by weight and distance. Your UPS guys knew how heavy it was coming in.

To avoid paying the obscene, it's a self-move deal. That's when those UPS guys would be smiling if they knew.

For me, it's not just ammo. It's ammo, reloading supplies, and casting raw materials (lead/alloy). If we move, that's when my son does it. Who knows, he might end up working for UPS.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is supposed to be 1,000 rounds per Firearm. If you have 10 firearms all the same caliber 1,000 rounds won't go very far. And if they are not reloadable, .22 Rim Fire for example, then the number should be increased so in my example one case per firearm would be reasonable.

Don't worry any total over 10 rounds will be reported in the news as an "Arsenal" if anything happens anyway.

FTFY

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    The only time to have too much ammo is when you're moving out of state. Most moving companies charge by weight and distance. Your UPS guys knew how heavy it was coming in.

To avoid paying the obscene, it's a self-move deal. That's when those UPS guys would be smiling if they knew.

For me, it's not just ammo. It's ammo, reloading supplies, and casting raw materials (lead/alloy). If we move, that's when my son does it. Who knows, he might end up working for UPS.

I hear you. In six years, I'll be moving to the Midwest. I'm pretty sure the ammo OR the guns will fit in the bed of my truck but I don't think both will. Maybe combined in the back seat. Maybe it'll be time to get an enclosed trailer.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I hear you. In six years, I'll be moving to the Midwest. I'm pretty sure the ammo OR the guns will fit in the bed of my truck but I don't think both will. Maybe combined in the back seat. Maybe it'll be time to get an enclosed trailer.

I’ve bought plenty of people out that were moving out of state. Ammo is an easy sale if you don’t want to bother moving it.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I’ve bought plenty of people out that were moving out of state. Ammo is an easy sale if you don’t want to bother moving it.

Good to know. Guess it depends on the market. Wouldn't want to have to buy it all again at gun grabber prices. Plus, there's no Ammo Jon out west. Hmm, maybe time to become Ammo Jeff out there.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Technically your house will still burn down. Sporting ammunition is not seriously dangerous, unless chambered.

Educational, Painful to watch all the ammo destroyed. :innocent0

yes, this board tries to be educational. I mean not me, others. Im still trouble.
    Local Beer, Bait, Tackle Store. Yes, and ammo too!!! Owned by an ex-member of our Dept., i.e. we know the place. Ammo is kept in glass counter, under the register, just inside the door. Arrive on location with heavy smoke showing. Three man team is advancing hose line into front door. Nozzleman is in about a body length, backup right behind him, I'm feeding in line over the threshold, when the fluorescent light fixture above the counter coughs up it's bulbs onto the aforementioned ammo counter!!! Even being aware of the information above.....all three were back in the parking lot, and I'm pretty sure were in need of clean underwear!!!

P.S. - we immediately regrouped, reentered, and held the fire to the area of origin, and sucessfully extinguished it.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have a fantastic wife.... We had a discussion about our discretionary spending the other day... today she called me and said she is at Ann Arundel mall and wanted to know if I needed any ammo from Bass Pro, since she figured that wasn't covered under the "discretionary" rubric.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I’ve got a small fraction of what many guys do, but I moved within my neighborhood and it kind of sucked. The 500lb guns safe made it out thanks to my neighbor and friend. The move in at least was easy as it’s a walk out basement. Everything is was bad. The guns were moved in the dark of night so as to avoid an accurate head count (nothing like your spouse finding out how many you really own!). The ammo...one can at a time. Two trips and my car looked pretty sad each time. My arms and legs sadder.

It wasn’t ammo, but I recall ordering acid neutralizer media and pitying the UPS guy. He also laughed at me when I saw him waddling up the driveway carry two 60lb buckets from 200 feet away.

Only time I’ve run outside my house in nothing but boxers (to grab one from him) and didn’t get the police called on me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It wasn’t ammo, but I recall ordering acid neutralizer media and pitying the UPS guy. He also laughed at me when I saw him waddling up the driveway carry two 60lb buckets from 200 feet away.

Only time I’ve run outside my house in nothing but boxers (to grab one from him) and didn’t get the police called on me.

We would like very much to read about all those other times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom