• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    In the last couple of days I received a case of small rifle primers and some powder. Where do you go locally to purchase/pick up powder and primers. I’m in the Woodlawn, Baltimore County area.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy usually carries primers and powder. Bass Pro also but I think their prices are rather high.

Green Top down near Richmond is great if you're taking 95 south sometime. Far for a pound of powder otherwise.

Sign up for a pile of email list as they will often have promos to cover the hazmat fee if you buy $x worth of stuff.

Or, find a bud or 2 to split the fees with on an order.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Gun Shack in Mt. Airy usually carries primers and powder. Bass Pro also but I think their prices are rather high.

Green Top down near Richmond is great if you're taking 95 south sometime. Far for a pound of powder otherwise.

Sign up for a pile of email list as they will often have promos to cover the hazmat fee if you buy $x worth of stuff.

Or, find a bud or 2 to split the fees with on an order.

Good info

For a couple pounds of powder or 1k primers- Continental in Timonium or Clyde's in Halethorpe.
    If you're buying in bulk, Shydas in Lebanon PA is worth the drive.
    I appreciate the nearby location. I need to look into the Shydas. Second time I heard it mention while researching some topics.
    Thanks!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Clydes still have primers? I have not been there in a while.
    I work close to BassPro and if they don't have powder in stock, will ship to store. Same with 1000 bricks of primers cause what they have on the isles is over priced packs of 100.
    If they have 1000 bricks, I've never waited at the gun counter to ask. Just shipped to store and picked up the next week.

I also go to Gunshack in MT Airy cause I get my Real Black powder there and will get other stuff I need at the time.
    I guess I USED to get stuff at shows, but won't expect any shows until the fall or maybe 2021 now.
    I was waiting to stock up on primers at the Oaks show that was cancelled so got stuck short this spring during my case prep time and had to barter and buy.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I work close to BassPro and if they don't have powder in stock, will ship to store. Same with 1000 bricks of primers cause what they have on the isles is over priced packs of 100.
    If they have 1000 bricks, I've never waited at the gun counter to ask. Just shipped to store and picked up the next week.

I also go to Gunshack in MT Airy cause I get my Real Black powder there and will get other stuff I need at the time.
    I guess I USED to get stuff at shows, but won't expect any shows until the fall or maybe 2021 now.
    I was waiting to stock up on primers at the Oaks show that was cancelled so got stuck short this spring during my case prep time and had to barter and buy.
    I’m thinking the Bass Pro Shop maybe my bypass with their order and pick up option at AA Mills Mall llocation. I’m curious if they are currently open now.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I drive up to Hafers ( Hagerstown/Clearspring) ride not to bad about hour for me .Great shop seems they always have what I need .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Clyde's stocks primers, yes. Powder also. What availability they might have right now though, is another question.

Swearengen

Nov 13, 2012
    Baltimore Co.
    Wait for a free hazmat promo from the big online dealers and buy in bulk or order with a friend and split the cost. Buy components cheap and stack them deep

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Wait for a free hazmat promo from the big online dealers and buy in bulk or order with a friend and split the cost. Buy components cheap and stack them deep

Yup, I wait until I need several pounds and order primers at the same time. Lot easier just having it shipped to the front door. Just had large order from Powder Valley and with their discount there was almost no Hazmat fee and they did not charge tax.

Used to take a trip up to Shyda's but the last time I went they had raised their prices above the better online places and with road construction the trip was a nightmare, I would have been better off paying Hazmat.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    For a couple pounds of powder or 1k primers- Continental in Timonium or Clyde's in Halethorpe.
    If you're buying in bulk, Shydas in Lebanon PA is worth the drive.

+1. on Shydas. I called 2 weeks ago to verify they had what I was looking for i stock. They are open but the front door is closed. You go around back and wait in line until someone leaves the store so they can limit how many people are inside. I asked if I could prepay and they said yes They also offered to bring my order out to my car. Truly a sweet setup in these times. I parked at the back door, called inside to tell them I was in the lot to pick up a prepaid order. They came out, I popped open the back of my SUV and they place the order in the back. Got some dirty looks from the customers waiting in line, and i didn't get a chance to browse, but I was happy to get my supplies without masking up.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Driving an hour or so, traffic is something I don’t want to do if I can have it delivered or pick up with a short drive.
    At this point, Im trying to understand where to obtain my reloading supplies for the lowest cost and effort as well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I’m thinking the Bass Pro Shop maybe my bypass with their order and pick up option at AA Mills Mall llocation. I’m curious if they are currently open now.

I think they are closed as the last time I went by the mall there were almost no cars there. I have 2 lbs of powder on ship to store and got a message there was a problem with delivery. I"m not in a rush for it though. Hopefully Larry will open things up next week. Got what I needed from Gun Shack last week. You need to call to make appt and knock and wait. They are limiting who goes in. Mask required.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I think they are closed as the last time I went by the mall there were almost no cars there. I have 2 lbs of powder on ship to store and got a message there was a problem with delivery. I"m not in a rush for it though. Hopefully Larry will open things up next week. Got what I needed from Gun Shack last week. You need to call to make appt and knock and wait. They are limiting who goes in. Mask required.

Where is the Gun Shack located? I’m realizing from another thread here that I need some small magnum rifle primers.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Where is the Gun Shack located? I’m realizing from another thread here that I need some small magnum rifle primers.

In downtown mt airy @

101 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

If you make the trip and like bbq, stop at carterque and Cryin Johnnies makes a great hot dog

Cryin johnnies
    235 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

Carterque
    1310 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

Jimmie cone, if Open is also worth a stop...

1312 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    In downtown mt airy @

101 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

If you make the trip and like bbq, stop at carterque and Cryin Johnnies makes a great hot dog

Cryin johnnies
    235 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

Carterque
    1310 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

Jimmie cone, if Open is also worth a stop...

1312 S Main St
    Mount Airy, MD 21771
    United States

Thanks. I emailed them and earlier inquiring about some primers. It seems it’s abut 30 minutes away.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Thanks. I emailed them and earlier inquiring about some primers. It seems it’s abut 30 minutes away.

Depending on where you live, give Hafers some consideration too. They are located one exit past 81 on 70 (west of Hagerstown)

15411 National Pike
    Hagerstown, MD 21740
    United States

Tim and Becca run a great business and generally have a wide range of components available. Becca’s father runs the reloading area and is a great resource.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Depending on where you live, give Hafers some consideration too. They are located one exit past 81 on 70 (west of Hagerstown)

15411 National Pike
    Hagerstown, MD 21740
    United States

Tim and Becca run a great business and generally have a wide range of components available. Becca’s father runs the reloading area and is a great resource.

That’s a bit far that I prefer to travel to save the HazMat fee but I appreciate the resource.
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom