• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Clarification please. Can a MD resident , non C&R license holder, purchase a C&R firearm without having the HQL ? ( already own regulated firearms)

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    C&R rifles, yes, but I thought C&R pistols are only exempt from the HQL requirement if you've got an 03FFL? No?
    I got my 03FFL, primarily, because I was prohibited from the purchase of a 1911 at the last Chantilly show by two Maryland 01FFLs due to the fact that I didn't have the HQL. They said I had to have either the HQL or 03FFL.

Jul 1, 2012
    C&R rifles, yes, but I thought C&R pistols are only exempt from the HQL requirement if you've got an 03FFL? No?
    I got my 03FFL, primarily, because I was prohibited from the purchase of a 1911 at the last Chantilly show by two Maryland 01FFLs due to the fact that I didn't have the HQL. They said I had to have either the HQL or 03FFL.

They were wrong... but now you can get any C&R handgun direct to your door (well, from out of state anyway) without messing with these guys anymore :)
    (as you've already exercised! whoo-hoo!)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You need the C&R to buy out of state, as at Chantilly. You do not need to have a C&R license to buy a C&R handgun without the HQL in Maryland. There is a place to note the exemption on the new Form 77r. But the in-state purchase is still subject to the waiting period and all other infringements.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Can someone please cite this exemption in SB281. Need something concrete to show my FFL.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Can someone please cite this exemption in SB281. Need something concrete to show my FFL.

Tell the FFL to take out a 77R. At the top, the form states: "Exceptions to possession of the Handgun Qualification license...Person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives."

I'll get you the code in a second.

ETA: Public Safety § 5-117.1(A)(4); and (C)(1)(IV).

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    For Basscat: This is copied from the COMAR - this is what you want, not SB281. See subparagraph (a)(4):

*** Statutes current through Chapter 1 of the 2014 General Assembly Regular Session ***

PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-117.1 (2014)

§ 5-117.1. Handgun qualification license required for purchase of handguns.

(a) Exclusions. -- This section does not apply to:

(1) a licensed firearms manufacturer;

(2) a law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State;

(3) a member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard; or

(4) a person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

You would be better off just referring him to the form 77R-1 where the exemption is clearly stated.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Go to a different FFL. If he does not know 5 months after the HQL was enacted, you will not be able to sway him. Try an IP here if one is close to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom