• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    How dirfficult is it to get a C&R lic in Md? Is it something that costs alot of & and does it take a great deal of time and energy? I need to know if it is really worth me applying for one. It seems like a great idea since I am starting to get into older firearms and would like to start collecting them. Thank you

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    How dirfficult is it to get a C&R lic in Md? Is it something that costs alot of & and does it take a great deal of time and energy? I need to know if it is really worth me applying for one. It seems like a great idea since I am starting to get into older firearms and would like to start collecting them. Thank you

The FAQ sticky on the C&R main board will answer all your questions in depth, definitely give that a good read. Quick answers: since it's a federal license it's the same application process no matter which state you live in, so it's very simple even in MD! Cost is only $30 for the license (valid for 3 yrs). Very simple form to fill out, won't take you much time at all. Definitely worth it if you like old guns!!! It will pay for itself in no time...just be prepared to go broke buying new toys!

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

No not hard. Its like $30 and some paperwork. Then sit back and wait up to 3 months. It won't let you buy C&R pistols within the boundaries of Maryland since state law makes you go through the MSP or a dealer FFL, but for outside the state Pistols and C&R rifles (inside and outside) it is great. I love it... fair warning though.... it is truly an addiction and it requires you know the laws (both state and federal) as they apply to the license.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Its actually too easy. It is fairly simple and straight forward to complete the application and then you have to wait for it to be approved. The hard part is fully understanding all of the regs that come about a week after your FFL. I originally skipped reading all of this info but after my first purchase, I realized how serious this part of the hobby is. READ THE INFO PACKETS!!

They should require you to save up at a bare minimum $3,000 before you get your license because once you buy your first, there is no time to save and you have to go right to the credit cards!

Good hobby, expensive hobby, great bunch of guys.:party29:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The FAQ sticky on the C&R main board will answer all your questions in depth, definitely give that a good read. Quick answers: since it's a federal license it's the same application process no matter which state you live in, so it's very simple even in MD! Cost is only $30 for the license (valid for 3 yrs). Very simple form to fill out, won't take you much time at all. Definitely worth it if you like old guns!!! It will pay for itself in no time...just be prepared to go broke buying new toys!

:thumbsup: THIS. That's what the FAQ thread is for. Then read some of the other threads to learn everything you need to know about C & R.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Read the FAQ but it's prolly going to be a no-brainer.:thumbsup:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    No not hard. Its like $30 and some paperwork. Then sit back and wait up to 3 months. It won't let you buy C&R pistols within the boundaries of Maryland since state law makes you go through the MSP or a dealer FFL, but for outside the state Pistols and C&R rifles (inside and outside) it is great. I love it... fair warning though.... it is truly an addiction and it requires you know the laws (both state and federal) as they apply to the license.
    If you're saying you cannot buy from a person/other C&R holder while both are in Maryland, you are right.

If you're saying you cannot have a handgun (10 round mag or less) shipped to you in Maryland, than no, that is wrong. You can have someone ship from out-of-state to your door a C&R handgun if the mag holds 10 rounds or less.

Sorry for my confusion.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    If you're saying you cannot buy from a person/other C&R holder while both are in Maryland, you are right.

If you're saying you cannot have a handgun (10 round mag or less) shipped to you in Maryland, than no, that is wrong. You can have someone ship from out-of-state to your door a C&R handgun if the mag holds 10 rounds or less.

Sorry for my confusion.

I was trying to say what you said.... you can buy one from someone out of state and have it shipped to you.... interstate you are good. Sales within the borders of Maryland or intrastate, bad. This statement applies to C&R handguns with 10 round or less mags.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Still trying to get my head around this c&r license with mag limits... If I go to VA to buy c&r gun with 12 round mag - can mag be brought back to MD? But having the gun mailed to me with 12 round mag would be a no-no?

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Still trying to get my head around this c&r license with mag limits... If I go to VA to buy c&r gun with 12 round mag - can mag be brought back to MD? But having the gun mailed to me with 12 round mag would be a no-no?

Yup. You can also have gun mailed to you without said magazine and pick up magazines for it out of state.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

C&R or not, anyone can buy 11-round-plus mags out of state and bring them back for personal use. You can't receive them in-state, that's all. Anyone may legally possess them.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    My license is taking so long for approval (70 days now), I plan to submit it for renewal after I finally get it :)

You should call them. The same thing happened to me and several other people who applied at the same time a little over a year ago. It turns out the licenses were lost or never printed. They reprinted it and I got my license a week after the phone call.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    It's worth it especially if you buy firearms related stuff online. If you submit your C&R to a lot of vendors you get a discount. Brownells is one online retailer that gives a discount off the top of my head. There are others. Search here and you will find others listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom