• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    My wife is teasing me with getting into shooting pistol. The other day she held a Bersa thunder, and liked it. We have not pulled the plug on this, but I was thinking...why can't I find her something with similar ergonomics in C&R? One important thing is that it fire a low energy round, similar to 380 ACP. I see a lot of options in 9mm Makarov, but I am afraid that round is too hot. Also, one that is in the $300 or less price range.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    the $300 or less price range.

there's your deal breaker, lots of C&R guns otherwise meet your criteria, but there is so much demand for guns meeting this description, the price is above that of new guns.

Just find a 3AT on Gunbroker before even they are $500

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    9x18can be a little snappy, especially in P64.

Would 32acp be too light? Maybe a CZ50 for $200 to $250 range.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Beretta 1934 in 380 or 1935 in 32.
    DSCN0002.jpg

I paid $250 for this one

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    go with a makarov or a cz-82. I'd say the cz-82 hands down except for the fact that women usually have small hands and the grip on the cz-82 is pretty wide. The makarov is the pistol I use to teach my female friends to shoot because it's so approachable, if you get one with a little bit of finish wear you can get one for about 200 bones and then refinish it, especially if you order directly from century as a dealer with your C&R. Bottom line on the 9mm mak is that it's just about midway between .380 and 9mm parabellum, leaning VERY slightly towards the .380 side. The only gun that's really snappy with it is the hungarian pa-63 or the radom p-64. The CZ-50 is a fun little gun to restore and play with, but for some reason it's pretty snappy for a .32 acp, and I would in NO WAY trust it to put down an assailant.

CZ-82 or Makarov, hands down

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    IMO the P64 is not ideal for the little lady.... it doesn't handle the 9x18 nearly as well as the CZ82. Also, in order to make the double action reasonable on a P64 you'll have to replace the springs. I have both the CZ82 and the P64.... just my 2 cents.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, and on the topic of double action trigger pulls, the cz-82 is AMAZING
    The maks are okay, better or worse depending on which one you get, the bulgys are so-so, the east germans are real good, and the russians are pretty good. The Baikals for some reason are real heavy, but I think they did that intentionally for import.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    OK, I guess the CZ-82 is a no-brainer, given that it is so easy to find. I was looking at them already, but was questioning the "heat" of the round. I'll keep my eye out for the German Mak, PPK, and, wow, that Beretta 380 looks awesome, but all of these will probably require a bit of shopping. So, I'll pull the trigger on the CZ-82 and keep my eye out for the others. Thanks for the help, guys.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've been shooting and collecting many pocket pistols over the last 2 years; from what you are wanting, I'd recommend the Mauser model 1910/1934 in .32 ACP, the Ortgies in .32 ACP and the CZ-82 in 9mm Mak. All of these guns I've bought for less than $300 each. The CZ-82, with it's ambidextrous safety and mag release, 12 round capacity and overall better ergonomics is my favorite. I think most women can handle the 9mm Mak (which is essentially a 'hot' .380 round)

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I vote cz 82. Might also consider cz50. Wideners has them for like $230. Shoots a .32 round and nice ergonomics.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    that ortgies is one strange bird. looks like it would be uncomfy in the hand, but then my tokarev and my m-57 look that way and feel almost as good in my hand as a 1911, so go figure.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just for the record though, even if you do get the cz-82, you should eventually get at least one makarov too. They're really quite nice little pistols, good for a drawer or some out of the way place as a backup pistol, and even small enough to be carried in an ankle holster if need be as a weapon of last resort.

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    Thanks, yes, I will be looking for a Makarov...I think I may own all of these at some point. The idea of actually being able to buy something and not have to dork around with the 7 day wait for MSP has converted me to a C&R maniac. For the items less common than cz-82, etc., I guess you mainly use gunbroker? Gun shows seem like they would be a pain for me, lines, admission, etc.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've used Gunbroker, AuctionArms, etc. but also all the local gun shows except those in Maryland (still have the 7 day wait). Yep, the C & R license can be a double-edged sword.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom