• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    If I sell a C&R rifle to someone out of state (I don't have a FFL and neither do they) send it to their FFL and they have it transferred to them, suppose they decide they don't want it and choose to return it to me. Does it still have to go through a FFL even though it's being returned to the original owner? And is it normal for someone returning something to ask for transfer fee reimbursement?

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Out of state must use an FFL so yes it goes thru one. As far as fee's it depends on what you work out with the buyer. I would ask for my fee's back if it was not what was advertised and described.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I don't think so. When I sent a new handgun to the manufacturer for warranty work, it was shipped right back to my house addressed to me when they were done with it.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I don't think so. When I sent a new handgun to the manufacturer for warranty work, it was shipped right back to my house addressed to me when they were done with it.

Say's this was transferred to the buyer thru an FFL, Wouldn't it be like purchasing a rifle again across state lines?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The way i see it , it is theirs. If they went and saw the items and did a transfer to now want to return it, First, im not sure i would. second if I was being nice enough to let them return it, i would not pay back the transfer fee cause they didnt look it over before hand. I assume there is something going on, like not as described ? Why do they want to return it?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Say's this was transferred to the buyer thru an FFL, Wouldn't it be like purchasing a rifle again across state lines?

their FFL would not have done the paperwork on their end if they refuse it and want to send it back. It should/ wouldn't have been "officially" transferred to a new buyer yet.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    OK, so he states it was transferred to them and then they decided they didn't want it so a FFL to get it back to seller?
    If they refused to accept it they can return ship to seller before any paperwork is done to transfer the rifle.?
    Does this sound right?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Sounds right to me, if he didnt do the transfer then it was still the sellers property and I would think it could be shipped right back to him. Same as if you were going out of state and shipping to yourself, do you need to transfer the gun to yourself if you wanted to take them on a shooting trip but shipped them ahead of time?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    But doesn't the transfering dealer have to log it into his book upon reciept of said gun making it part of his inventory? I would think that it would have to go back out on a NICS check.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    But doesn't the transfering dealer have to log it into his book upon reciept of said gun making it part of his inventory? I would think that it would have to go back out on a NICS check.

Thats a good point but what if you sent it to him for work to be done and then hes sending it back similar to what yellowsled posted?

And while we can argue this point, If the person did the transfer then you are going to have to transfer it back to you. Only thing i could say is have someone on here that you trust that has a C&R accept it back for you. write it in their book as received and then back out to you. Id do it for ya but i think you are probably to far out, might want to find someone near by.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thats a good point but what if you sent it to him for work to be done and then hes sending it back similar to what yellowsled posted?

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sure either, but maybe since a gunsmith has a different class of license there's something there that lets it go back to the person who is getting the work done, I have no idea myself, maybe chad will be along and answer that question for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom