• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I impulse purchased this today while I was working the show. In my five short years going to the Nation's show, this is only the third gun I've ever bought there. Prices tend to be high there or market price at best. This is probably the first good deal I've ever found there (at least for stuff I want). The dealer had it listed at $259, and I haggled a good bit off.

It's a C prefix, early post-war Military & Police (pre-Model 10) revolver in .38 Special. All of the assembly numbers match, and all of the serial numbers match down to the grips. It looks to have been fired very little, with just a little bit of carbon by the forcing cone. There are no imprints of the extractor star or case heads on the recoil shield. There are a few spots of holster wear on the muzzle and on the front of the cylinder, and a few spots of rust.

It will be a few weeks before I get to shoot it unfortunately, since all of my .38 is in MD and I'll be busy.

IMG_20161001_190929_zpshv6egtbu.jpg

IMG_20161001_191033_zpspy3ygkfy.jpg

IMG_20161001_191120_zpsqpwuorpw.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I impulse purchased this today while I was working the show. In my five short years going to the Nation's show, this is only the third gun I've ever bought there. Prices tend to be high there or market price at best. This is probably the first good deal I've ever found there (at least for stuff I want). The dealer had it listed at $259, and I haggled a good bit off.

What a gem. Nice find. Next time I'll wander and look more carefully. As you said, at first glance, a lot of high prices.

Great pic up!
    Was at the show today when your YouTube partner visited the MSI table (and made a generous donation). He's not short at all, which was my impression after watching some of the videos. The implication is that you must be really tall, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    What a gem. Nice find. Next time I'll wander and look more carefully. As you said, at first glance, a lot of high prices.

Was at the show today when your YouTube partner visited the MSI table (and made a generous donation). He's not short at all, which was my impression after watching some of the videos. The implication is that you must be really tall, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mostly everyone is short to me :lol2:

Yeah, our height difference makes shooting videos a challenge.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks everyone. I'm actually not sure if I'm going to shoot it anytime soon, haha. It's just such a nice looking and clean gun. I stored away my Ruger Blackhawk along with my .38 reloading stuff back at my parents' house when I moved down here last year to standardize my shooting ammo on 9mm and .45 only.

Excellent pick up!
    The dealer took your C&R?

Yeah, but I'm a VA resident now. They just wanted my driver's license to verify the info on the FFL03. The dealer had just taken a Marylander's C&R minutes before for a Yugoslavian Mauser, so he probably would have taken one as well for an eligible handgun. I haggled the price since I paid in cash and had the FFL03 to save the dealer time and paperwork.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    That is a really nice find. I never seem to have that kind of luck at shows. It is still the reason that I go though, so maybe one of these days.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So the serial number C224## would put it most likely in 1948. The timing is absolutely flawless and the single action trigger pull breaks like glass at 4.75lb with very little deviation. Unfortunately, the extractor rod has a bit of runout. Fortunately, it's not enough to cause any binding anywhere and the front of it does not touch the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom