• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Wasn't sure where to put this, but I figure if you are worried about catching brass you are reloading, so here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-1222...&qid=1376068057&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+catcher

Ordered this a while ago and finally got it out to the range last night. It worked pretty well, catches most of the brass during a 30 round magazine.

The only thing is that near the end of a mag, it begins to get heavy and slip downward, allowing your last couple shots to escape. A couple of times, this slipping caused the case to get stuck in the ejector port. Keeping the device tight and in the correct position eliminates this problem.

The zipper on the bottom is very handy, as you can easily empty the bag into your brass bag without unhooking the device from your gun.

The bag hangs out away form the gun about an inch or so, and doesn't interfere with operations. I use a B.A.D. lever on my ARs and had no trouble operating it with the bag in place.

All in all, this is a nice device that allows you to capture most of your brass while shooting. For those who utilize ranges where you cannot retrieve brass from in front of the firing lines, this may allow you to retain more than you would without it. At this price, its a pretty good deal and I will use it again.

I have also tried using it on a Hi Point 995 carbine, and it worked surprisingly well, even though it was designed for an AR15.

Rich

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer these:

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html

No swinging bag, misses NONE of the brass. Snaps on and off to use and empty.

But one thing with the Caldwell, if you are shooting from one spot, just unzip the bottom and it piles the brass nicely at your feet, no need to have to stop to empty it.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Tried one today and I'm not sure about it. It kept slipping off no matter how I had it secured, and this was shooting bench rest. Really needs a hook or something either in the middle or the back to help hold it up. Had a couple jams while I had it on. Ended up just taking it off and sweeping up the brass. Great idea, just needs a little something to keep it from slipping.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Shagging 223 cases has never been a big issue where I shoot. Training my M1 carbine, a few Toks and CZ52s (among other toys) to drop reloadable cases in a nice neat pile has always been a challenge tho...:innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    On the cheap side, I have a $12 net I clamp to the table. drilled hole in the handle and to the clamp. I had both the clamp and the net already. Another guy at the range had a good idea. He has a plastic milk crate with a metal mesh liner in it. He just sits it sideways so the brass goes into the crate. He uses the crate to haul some of his stuff like his bags and such.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I've played with mine some more.

The best way I've come up with is to secure that ba k part with a black zip tie around the rear part, keeping the net centered and preventing FTE errors.

Works on the hi point 995 carbine too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    On the cheap side, I have a $12 net I clamp to the table. drilled hole in the handle and to the clamp. I had both the clamp and the net already. Another guy at the range had a good idea. He has a plastic milk crate with a metal mesh liner in it. He just sits it sideways so the brass goes into the crate. He uses the crate to haul some of his stuff like his bags and such.

I like this idea, and I even have a milk crate and some mesh in the garage.

Game on.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just get the one I linked to.

Works great, and snaps off easily to dump brass, then back on for more shooting.

I have them for several rifles.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I used mine the first time tonight. It worked wonders, after awhile the recoil worked the strap a little loose and I had to re-adjust. Other than that in the prone or sitting position it didn't get in the way at all. Easily held 150 empty casings.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I tried one the other day and it worked just fine. I think Midway has them on sale.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have one, I just leave it unzipped. It's very effective when it's not weighted down. Too many 6.8 brass and it starts sagging, which is why I don't zip it.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    I have one, I just leave it unzipped. It's very effective when it's not weighted down. Too many 6.8 brass and it starts sagging, which is why I don't zip it.

This!, just leave it unzipped, and you have a nice pile of cases on teh table when you're finished

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom