• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm going to be up in Farmington for a day or to to meet up with some relatives.

My BIL wants to go shooting. My thought is savage river.

We'd be up there Saturday the 27th.

Any advice? (other than making brass sacrifices to the tenders of the Goat).

Last edited:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Does that mean I should come later cuz I'd be a touron?

I guess I should be specific.....How are the frames? do I need to bring just the standard staple gun? Can I use spinners for the 22's?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    We bring cardboard, about 24"X48" and zip strip those to the target frames. Then staple your targets to the cardboard. Officially, spinners are a no go. We have spinners that we use and they have never said anything to use about them. Just make sure that you put them at a safe distance. Also, remember to pay your fee. The DNR often comes around to check for this. Bring a pen.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I typically use the 22 spinners at 100 yards for safety.

I'll pack some zip ties and cut cardboard as I unpack and wrap the amazon packages over the next couple of days.

Is position shooting allowed or is it bench only?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I typically use the 22 spinners at 100 yards for safety.

I'll pack some zip ties and cut cardboard as I unpack and wrap the amazon packages over the next couple of days.

Is position shooting allowed or is it bench only?

Again, I think officially it is bench only. Be safe, use common sense and you will be okay. That is one reason to go early, less people to contend with.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Saturday the 26th or Saturday the 27th.:innocent0
    Have fun, if you didn't want to run all the way out to Savage just stay on alt 40 east and just before Grantsville Casselman sportsmen sits right along the road, it's free and public, but it's not advertised that way.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Really? Didn't know that. Driven by it many times with people there but assumed it was a private club...

It is a members club, $25 yearly, I haven't paid my dues in a couple of years, my friend got me to join and he's the one that told me that, he's been a member for a long time.
    They do have club member only shoots, clays, 22' ect. ect. but usually sunday afternoons when the weather is decent.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Thanks guys. I think I have a good list of what to bring.

Now, do I have to go to the office for the permits or is there a drop box still down by the range?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks guys. I think I have a good list of what to bring.

Now, do I have to go to the office for the permits or is there a drop box still down by the range?

There's a drop box there still, just remember to tear off the stub and keep it incase the ranger stops in and checks to see if you've paid. They don't have a key to the box, I guess the state doesn't trust a sworn DNR officer with cash either.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There's a drop box there still, just remember to tear off the stub and keep it incase the ranger stops in and checks to see if you've paid. They don't have a key to the box, I guess the state doesn't trust a sworn DNR officer with cash either.

The State won't trust a Maryland State Trooper with cash, for transfers, so why would they trust the DNR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom