Can I buy a new handgun in Md. with a C&R not a HQL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that the rules say that if you buy a C&R handgun from an FFL or a Private Party in MD, then it has to go through all the normal regulated rigamarole, which now also means you need an HQL and there's a 10 round mag capacity limit.

However, if you buy a C&R handgun from a C&R holder or an FFL outside of MD, then you're good to go. Even so far as having the gun shipped right to you. However, if the Magazines hold more than 10 rounds, you cannot have those shipped to you. You would need to take posession or those out of state.

I am not a lawyer, and if I were, my head probably would have exploded by now.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You need an HQL unless the handgun is a C&R gun.

I.e. the buyer doesn't need an HQL nor a C&R license to buy a C&R handgun.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    However,

If the buyer and seller are within MD, all Maryland laws have to be abided by. No different from before.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Jack From what you wrote, the guy is wrong.

For Handguns:
    Handgun must be on the MD handgun roster (or be older than ??? date, what was it? 1985?)

Buying a new handgun (or any used NON C&R) in MD from FFL
    Buyer needs an HQL and show it to FFL to start the transfer.

Buying a new (or any used NON C&R) handgun from outside of MD
    Buyer must have it shipped to an FFL and buyer must to show that FFL your HQL to start the tranfer process. FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping.

Buying a new (or any used NON C&R) handgun from anyone individual (not FFL)
    You need to bring it to an FFL to do the transfer or an MSP barracks at which time the buyer must show his HQL

Buying a C&R from an FFL within MD,
    Buyer need not have a C&R and there is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL.

Buying a C&R from an individual within MD,
    Buyer need not have C&R, Buyer and seller go to either an FFL or MSP barracks to do the transfer. There is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. MSP is $10 FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping.

Buying a C&R from outside MD by a non-C&R holder.
    Buyer must have it shipped to FFL, there is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping.

Buying a C&R from outside MD by a C&R holder.
    Buyer is a C&R holder and also an FFL03 (which is which is what C&R holder is). They can receive shipments of C&R items which are not deemed to be illegal within the state. Seller must be willing to deal with C&R holders in MD (some don't). Seller ships C&R item to C&R holder. No MSP form needed as transfer is not done within the state. C&R holder logs item in his/her log book.

If I got this wrong, let me ,know and I'll edit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom