• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onthedecline

Sep 12, 2011
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there a way to uncock the hammer on an S&W 686 without pulling the trigger? I have tried to figure out how to do it when dry-firing, but to no avail. Google isn't helping either.

I doubt this situation would ever arise when the weapon is loaded, but none the less, it would be a good thing to know how to do. Thanks!

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Grab hammer with thumb, gently squeeze trigger, use thumb to slow hammer, gently lower. As a fail-safe, use your other hand between the hammer and frame, might hurt, but won't go off.

CIGuy

Nov 4, 2008
    Aberdeen, MD
    Look at the hammer, does it actually have the "spike" of the firing pin or is it a model that uses a transfer bar? If it is the transfer bar, hold the hammer back and carefully squeeze the trigger just enough to release the hammer. Once the hammer is released, let go of the trigger so it goes forward. This will then let the transfer bar block the hammer from striking the firing pin, then lower the hammer the rest of the way.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    actually kinda of a neat idea, a decocker on a revolver

Until it malfunctions and causes the gun to fire. I truly hate decockers. One of my old Beretta's malfunctioned and fired when decocking several years ago. Luckily I was following all the safety rules. Gun was pointed down range and no one was injured. It did give me a little prejudice against decockers though.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    insert gun ... pull trigger ...

gun-in-mouth.jpg

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I was teaching a class just the other day where I was describing the de-cocking procedure for revolvers....

One of the students (a young lady, nurse) came up on a break and said that she was taking the class by court order since she did exactly the wrong thing with de-cocking and BOOM!

She said that she almost wanted to cry as I was doing the demo. If you own a revolver with an external hammer, de-cocking procedures should be considered basic training and need to be practiced.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i'm not really nervous, since the beretta 92 i have actually rotates the pin that the hammer strikes with the decocking lever.... i just dont see a point with an expossed hammer.

john

lotofpez

Feb 10, 2011
    Cumberland
    I had a hammer slip out from under my finger once when I was de-cocking a relover. Can't remember if my hand was sweaty or why it slipped I just rember that it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom