Can I use my firearm at someone else's home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    So I am house sitting someone else's home (in MD) while they are away in another State for a week.

Can I take my firearm for home/self defense?

The home is rented, but in the name of my girlfriend's father.
    It is also my girlfriend's registered home address.

I'm basically staying with her for the week and house sitting while her father is away, so she's not there alone.

Do I legally need his permission to take a firearm for self defense?

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I would think that since it's rental property, I would get written clearance from the landlord and the renter on the lease at a minimum. When in doubt, always cover yourself.

I assumed I need the renters permission, not the landlords.

(or the permission of someone that lives there)

I rent, and what I have in my home is none of my landlords business.

Unless specified in a renters agreement, much like pet policies when renting, I don't think the landlord can do anything about me having a gun.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Whatever state law at the home you're watching is what should apply. I believe here in Maryland the law states that where you domicile, such as a hotel, is considered your home and you may have a weapon in that domicile. Taking it to/from per usual laws.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Temporary Residence right? And why even ask? Just do it, survival sir....

Plus, aren't you coming out here with your new wife?

Sent from Free America

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    IANAL - plenty of those who are on these boards tho.

From what I understand is that if you are living there with permission, even temporarily (e.g., house-sitting) it counts as one of the places you can transport a regulated firearm to.

I don't see why not. The more permission you have the better (less chance someone has an attack of acute hoplophobia and calls the cops for an MWAG), but I do not believe you need it.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    IANAL - plenty of those who are on these boards tho.

From what I understand is that if you are living there with permission, even temporarily (e.g., house-sitting) it counts as one of the places you can transport a regulated firearm to.

I don't see why not. The more permission you have the better (less chance someone has an attack of acute hoplophobia and calls the cops for an MWAG), but I do not believe you need it.

Kind of why I'm asking if I specifically need the lease holder's (Dad's) permission.

The father knows I am staying there with his daughter, as he asked "her" to stay there the whole week and house-sit, while they are away.

Although she lives there, she's been coming over to see me most nights at my apartment, but her Dad wanted her to stay at their home for the whole week.

So I'm just basically staying at their place for the week, but didn't know if I needed to ask Dad, or if the daughter says it's cool, then I'm good to go..!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It's his place, so by my reckoning you should be asking him. I assume your GF has already indicated she's OK with it?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Whatever state law at the home you're watching is what should apply. I believe here in Maryland the law states that where you domicile, such as a hotel, is considered your home and you may have a weapon in that domicile. Taking it to/from per usual laws.

I agree that it would be a temporary residence just like a motel room and castle law would be valid.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Kind of why I'm asking if I specifically need the lease holder's (Dad's) permission.

The father knows I am staying there with his daughter, as he asked "her" to stay there the whole week and house-sit, while they are away.

Although she lives there, she's been coming over to see me most nights at my apartment, but her Dad wanted her to stay at their home for the whole week.

So I'm just basically staying at their place for the week, but didn't know if I needed to ask Dad, or if the daughter says it's cool, then I'm good to go..!

So call "Dad" and ask him if he has any objections (religious or otherwise) to you wearing protection while you're with his little girl in his house.

I'm going to guess he'll say he's ok with it.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    So call "Dad" and ask him if he has any objections (religious or otherwise) to you wearing protection while you're with his little girl in his house.

I plan on it, I just wanted to check the legalities of it anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming the parents haven't formally served you with an anti-Tresspass notice, the GF would be able to extend you permission to be there.

The other question is wether on a person to person basis Dad would consider it the right thing for you to ask. But that's a personal issue between the two of you.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    maybe as a 50 year old you shouldnt date high school chicks? no wonder her dad wants her at HOME instead of your creepy den of iniquity apartment

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Hmm.. is she legal age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom