Can military living in MD but stationed in VA purchase an AR rifle in VA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22er

Jan 15, 2013
    I was told that as long as you have PCS orders indicating VA as your duty station, that all you need is your military ID and this is equivalent to being a VA resident. However, I was also told by someone else that aside from that you still have to provide 2 forms of residency (i.e. hunting license, etc) and there are issues to selling to MD residents as ARs are considered regulated firearms in MD. Can anyone out there shed any light on this issue as I was very interested in purchasing a really nice M&P 15 from the Quantico MCX for a really good price.

Feb 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    This is a subject I ran to ground for a coworker. As a MIL member living in MD, but stationed, with orders, in VA you are able to purchase regulated firearms in both VA and MD. However, the shop you purchase from may ask for varying documentation. For example, one shop may ask for a copy of your mortgage statement or 3 recent utilities bills, while another may just want your MIL ID and orders. Here's the thing, you only need to show your MIL ID and orders! Shops in both MD and VA ask for extra BS paperwork when it is NOT required...just their own policy. If you want to buy an AR in MD, you can. The only shop I have ever been to in MD that asks for extra unnecessary paperwork/"proof" is On Target. Everywhere else I have purchased, Orders and ID. PM me for more info if you have any questions.

EDIT: To clarify, you should be able to buy at Quantico, but I haven't known anyone in your situation to do so. You should be able to get an answer from them over the phone about the purchase. I'd be surprised if they decline the sale.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I was told that as long as you have PCS orders indicating VA as your duty station, that all you need is your military ID and this is equivalent to being a VA resident. However, I was also told by someone else that aside from that you still have to provide 2 forms of residency (i.e. hunting license, etc) and there are issues to selling to MD residents as ARs are considered regulated firearms in MD. Can anyone out there shed any light on this issue as I was very interested in purchasing a really nice M&P 15 from the Quantico MCX for a really good price.

ONLY certain AR HBAR - non-regulated AR - or any non-regulated long gun.

HINT = Non regulated!!

Many political MD idoits don't realize the gun is "regualted" to the "ONWER" when purchased "NEW" anywhere........

Last edited:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    You will be good with just your orders and CAC. Don't mention that you live in MD. They shouldn't ask.

Maybe. Unless he has a military ID or other ID that meets the photo ID requirements then he will need to show his drivers license. A military ID should work though. It has been so long since I had one so they have probably changed.

SpecialJ79

Feb 20, 2013
    SoMD
    If you live in MD, you're probably not going to be able to purchase in VA. I am stationed in MD, and live in MD, but VA is my home of record. I went by Quantico Tactical in Woodbrige a few weekends ago and tried to pick up the M&P 15 with my VADL and MIL ID. They told me that I needed a second form of address... utility bill etc. When I told them I didn't have that because I haven't lived at the VA address on my license (eventhough it's still valid, as my parents still live there) I would be unable to purchase. And that since I was an MD "resident" I was basically SOL.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    If you live in MD, you're probably not going to be able to purchase in VA. I am stationed in MD, and live in MD, but VA is my home of record. I went by Quantico Tactical in Woodbrige a few weekends ago and tried to pick up the M&P 15 with my VADL and MIL ID. They told me that I needed a second form of address... utility bill etc. When I told them I didn't have that because I haven't lived at the VA address on my license (eventhough it's still valid, as my parents still live there) I would be unable to purchase. And that since I was an MD "resident" I was basically SOL.

If you still 'lived' in Va. then you would be good to go. Home of record has little to do with where you actually live or your duty station - both of which are considered residences for .mil members. Since yours are the same you only have one official state of residence for the .mil exemption.

Feb 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    If you still 'lived' in Va. then you would be good to go. Home of record has little to do with where you actually live or your duty station - both of which are considered residences for .mil members. Since yours are the same you only have one official state of residence for the .mil exemption.

The only time Home of Residence (HOR) has any impact is if you still carry that states DL. Example: I am stationed in MD, with orders in MD. I have an Illinois DL. While visiting my mom in Arkansas I was trying to buy my son a youth rifle for hunting. Wal-Mart said NO! Illinois doesn't allow it....bad side of retaining that Illinois "residency". Had I had a MD DL, it wouldn't have been a big deal since MD allowed it.

What trips up many MIL members is residency vs HOR. Some use HOR interchangeably with residency, but it's often because they still claim residency (have a DL) through their HOR. I get the benefit of both. No state taxes on my MIL pay, but being stationed in MD I can claim residency for the sake of purchasing a firearm, etc. Only thing I can't do here is vote.

22er

Jan 15, 2013
    No joy. I've attached the sign they have posted on their counter and they're quite adamant about having 2 documents with VA address (aside from the orders and CAC), which doesn't make sense since the ATF regulation indicates that military orders to VA equates to VA residency for the purpose of purchasing a firearm. Must be a store policy. Oh well. They do reserve the right to not sell to everyone.

http://www.quantico.usmc-mccs.org/storage/MCCSQuantico/assets/00-PDFs/09-MCX/231RETAILGunPurchaseSigns.pdf

Wahama90

If it's worth it because of the price I would just get the $23 fishing or hunting license, and register to vote in VA that covers the two forms of gov ID. You can always switch back the voter registration after the purchase if you want to.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    This is a subject I ran to ground for a coworker. As a MIL member living in MD, but stationed, with orders, in VA you are able to purchase regulated firearms in both VA and MD. However, the shop you purchase from may ask for varying documentation. For example, one shop may ask for a copy of your mortgage statement or 3 recent utilities bills, while another may just want your MIL ID and orders. Here's the thing, you only need to show your MIL ID and orders! Shops in both MD and VA ask for extra BS paperwork when it is NOT required...just their own policy. If you want to buy an AR in MD, you can. The only shop I have ever been to in MD that asks for extra unnecessary paperwork/"proof" is On Target. Everywhere else I have purchased, Orders and ID. PM me for more info if you have any questions.

EDIT: To clarify, you should be able to buy at Quantico, but I haven't known anyone in your situation to do so. You should be able to get an answer from them over the phone about the purchase. I'd be surprised if they decline the sale.
    :thumbsup: Military can have multiple legal residencies...I was registered to vote in TX but lived/stationed in MD...

You can purchase long gun/rifle/shotguns. Its finding the dealer that ignores you are stationed in MD...best bet is to shop around or go to a gun show...like Chantilly gun show. I bought a DPMS 308 with my mil id and TX drivers license.

No joy. I've attached the sign they have posted on their counter and they're quite adamant about having 2 documents with VA address (aside from the orders and CAC), which doesn't make sense since the ATF regulation indicates that military orders to VA equates to VA residency for the purpose of purchasing a firearm. Must be a store policy. Oh well. They do reserve the right to not sell to everyone.

http://www.quantico.usmc-mccs.org/storage/MCCSQuantico/assets/00-PDFs/09-MCX/231RETAILGunPurchaseSigns.pdf

shop around in VA you'll find someone to sell to you..its NOT illegal. The problem is even VA dealers don't want to deal with anything MD related...I personally have been denied buying stuff from one table at a gun show because I was "stationed" in MD but I had nothing dealing with my residency in MD. I had a Mil ID and TX drivers license...so I went to a different table and they let me buy. No issues.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom