where can I find a roof Korean?

Attachments

• roof.jpg
      roof.jpg
      117.1 KB · Views: 378

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    In my HQL class, the instructor seemed to indicate that keeping a firearm with separate ammo nearby in your car at all times was frowned upon in MD. The point was if you ever got stopped and questioned, it wasn't a good idea to admit that you always keep a firearm in your vehicle. It didn't sound like it was illegal, per se, but this was interesting advice I heard. Any truth to this?

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    Actually, it's unlaw in MD to "ride around" with a gun in your trunk. You can have it in your trunk under specific circumstances: going to & from a gun shop or repair facility, to & from a range or gun show, to & from hunting.

In any case, most guns will quickly rust when stored in a vehicle around here. Between the high humidity & fluctuations in temperature, it's difficult to prevent. This will literally rust over night.

But, as the guys point out, a gun that's not on your person is unlikely to be close enough to you when you really need it to be.

Neal

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Actually, it's unlaw in MD to "ride around" with a gun in your trunk. You can have it in your trunk under specific circumstances: going to & from a gun shop or repair facility, to & from a range or gun show, to & from hunting.

In any case, most guns will quickly rust when stored in a vehicle around here. Between the high humidity & fluctuations in temperature, it's difficult to prevent. This will literally rust over night.

But, as the guys point out, a gun that's not on your person is unlikely to be close enough to you when you really need it to be.

Neal
    The restrictions you refer to apply to handguns not long guns in Maryland.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    ETA: I have a Toyota Tacoma so no trunk but I have been thinking about keeping a pistol grip shotgun in it. Since we seem to be in the summer of love with all the BLM nonsense and cop killings.[/QUOTE]

I just bought a Tacoma, live in Baltimore and have been thinking the same thing. Where are you thinking of keeping it?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In my HQL class, the instructor seemed to indicate that keeping a firearm with separate ammo nearby in your car at all times was frowned upon in MD. The point was if you ever got stopped and questioned, it wasn't a good idea to admit that you always keep a firearm in your vehicle. It didn't sound like it was illegal, per se, but this was interesting advice I heard. Any truth to this?

He is wrong.

MD law only restricts handguns to certain times. Between gun shop, residence, and range ONLY.

Handguns must be in an enclosed case or holster.

Loaded mags in the case with them is legal according to the AG letter that is floating around there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    driving around with an UNLOADED long gun is perfectly LEGAL in MD.

The amount of bad information floating around here is unbelievable.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In post #44, Boneuphtoner quotes ( paraphrases, whatever) his HQL regarding certain practices being " frowned upon " and whether certain practices and voluntary statements were a "good idea" . poster B then asks our opinion of said HQL instructor's opinions.

This is subjective upon subjective upon subjective upon subjective.

You could find at least one LEO in Md that would frown about anything firearms related regardless of legality. Heck, you could find LEO would frown about free coffee at 7-11 .

Is it a *good idea* to legally have unloaded rifle / shotgun in trunk on regular or semi-regular basis ? This can discussed on at least 5 different specific catagories, probably more if I think on it.

To short form it : It's legal. The practical usefulness for self defense is a lot narrower than many people would hope for.

To once again repeat my perienal observations of all transport related questions/ discussions. -

When this is discussed there are four different answers.

1 What the actual statutes and case law says.

2. What offical publications/ offical websites of major LE Agencies say.

3. What random individual LEO say.

4 What would be wise and prudent .

For this moment, I'm not going to tell anyone what relative ranking to give these often contradictory catagories, beyond being legal.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In post #44, Boneuphtoner quotes ( paraphrases, whatever) his HQL regarding certain practices being " frowned upon " and whether certain practices and voluntary statements were a "good idea" . poster B then asks our opinion of said HQL instructor's opinions.

This is subjective upon subjective upon subjective upon subjective.

You could find at least one LEO in Md that would frown about anything firearms related regardless of legality. Heck, you could find LEO would frown about free coffee at 7-11 .

Is it a *good idea* to legally have unloaded rifle / shotgun in trunk on regular or semi-regular basis ? This can discussed on at least 5 different specific catagories, probably more if I think on it.

To short form it : It's legal. The practical usefulness for self defense is a lot narrower than many people would hope for.

To once again repeat my perienal observations of all transport related questions/ discussions. -

When this is discussed there are four different answers.

1 What the actual statutes and case law says.

2. What offical publications/ offical websites of major LE Agencies say.

3. What random individual LEO say.

4 What would be wise and prudent .

For this moment, I'm not going to tell anyone what relative ranking to give these often contradictory catagories, beyond being legal.

You forgot:

5. What random people think might be any of the above.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    while nmyers was wrong about the legal facts, I'm interested to hear what everyone thought about rust / corrosion due to humidity. Tossing a couple of silica packs into a ziplocked pouch holding your loaded mags might not be a bad idea in a vehicle. But for the rifle, I imagine just wipe it down with oil for storage in the car and repeat monthly? is even that needed?

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    while nmyers was wrong about the legal facts, I'm interested to hear what everyone thought about rust / corrosion due to humidity. Tossing a couple of silica packs into a ziplocked pouch holding your loaded mags might not be a bad idea in a vehicle. But for the rifle, I imagine just wipe it down with oil for storage in the car and repeat monthly? is even that needed?

Several years ago I left a Remington 870 in the bed of my pick-up that was covered by a tonneau cover for about a week. It was pouring rain when I got home and planned on getting it out in the morning when it stopped raining. Well, I forgot about it until the following weekend. Although the bed was water tight and the gun was cased, the extreme changes in humidity and temperature caused significant rust in only a week. I was amazed at how quickly it rusted. It was mostly surface rust, but it was significant. I would not leave a gun in a car trunk.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    870 is a bad example for the parkarized ones. They rust just looking at them. I really like my 870, but the parkerizing isn't exactly amazing on them. You could always store a SS firearm in the vehicle or store it in a resealable bag with a few silicon packets. Or store it with a bit more durable oil like a light coating of motor oil. At least for a shotgun that shouldn't present problems with firing it while still "wet" I would think.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Several years ago I left a Remington 870 in the bed of my pick-up that was covered by a tonneau cover for about a week. It was pouring rain when I got home and planned on getting it out in the morning when it stopped raining. Well, I forgot about it until the following weekend. Although the bed was water tight and the gun was cased, the extreme changes in humidity and temperature caused significant rust in only a week. I was amazed at how quickly it rusted. It was mostly surface rust, but it was significant. I would not leave a gun in a car trunk.

870 is a bad example for the parkarized ones. They rust just looking at them. I really like my 870, but the parkerizing isn't exactly amazing on them. You could always store a SS firearm in the vehicle or store it in a resealable bag with a few silicon packets. Or store it with a bit more durable oil like a light coating of motor oil. At least for a shotgun that shouldn't present problems with firing it while still "wet" I would think.

The coating on the 870's is there mostly to better hold a protectant like eezox than to protect it when dry. 870's should be wiped with some kind of protectant before being stored...basically anywhere. If you were to have an 870 for the trunk, it wouldn't be a bad idea to either have the marine magnum or just paint the thing.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Colt HBAR, yes.

Grandfathered regulated AR, no, unless going to the range or to the gun shop or gunsmith.

why do you say that? Are you of the opinion that a non-Colt HBAR stamped AR should be a regulated weapon under the letter of the law? And the statute I read mentions nothing about regulated or not. Was there something in the SAFE Act that pertains to transport that trumps the previous standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom