• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I just had a question from a prospective HQL student re: an active MD medical cannabis card. My understanding is one who possesses a card is prohibited for 1 year after surrendering it; he was told by a gun shop that it is 2 years. Any definitive answer? Thanks!

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    It supposed to be one year apparently.....but many people apparently have gotten it under 4 months after. They have to make sure to surrender card and more importantly terminate their account. If you're not a habitual user than you're not. Please let us know what happens!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    One year... but md is recreational soon. Anyone with a card should have ditched it a while ago. NJ is also a thing that exists for those that never wanted to trade one liberty for another in the first place.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Correct. I just received a reply from MSP confirming one year from the date of relinquishing the card. Thanks!

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    The use of it to ease many ailments isn't.
    I’ve sometimes wondered in MD what the real percentage of card holders is who truly use it for serious, significant health issues. By that I mean those who are truly regularly suffering and need relief. My ...guess... is 7%

When I drive by my local weed store I many times see a BBQ truck, ice cream truck, etc. in the parking lot with people lined up. I’ve never seen one in front of a cancer treatment facility.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    I’ve sometimes wondered in MD what the real percentage of card holders is who truly use it for serious, significant health issues. By that I mean those who are truly regularly suffering and need relief. My ...guess... is 7%

When I drive by my local weed store I many times see a BBQ truck, ice cream truck, etc. in the parking lot with people lined up. I’ve never seen one in front of a cancer treatment facility.

Curious why you think you need to have a serious, significant health issues??? It's not just for Cancer, you know. What about back pain?? Long term use of Motrin, Tylenol would be worse for you liver, wouldn't it?? Exactly what ill long term side effects have you experienced, or heard of, from Cannabis?? Just playing devils advocate as many downplay the positive things about cannabis. Not a user myself, but I do like to research things and outside of the mucnhies there is little evidence that proves weed is worse for you than alcohol, prescription meds, etc.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg

After helping my Mom go through Chemo twice I can assure you that the last thing people leaving a Chemo treatment want is a BBQ sandwich or an ice cream cone. They just want to go home and crash for the next 3 days or so and while my mom did not partake in Weed it was offered by her amazing Cancer Treatment Team as an option for restoring appetite and pain management. I would MUCH rather deal with a high society than a drunk society as I know MANY amazing people who smoke weed and have successful careers, are good spouses, good parents, and are contributing members of society. I have distanced myself from people in my life who are habitual drunkards as they are far and beyond more difficult to deal with and cause many more issues than Pot Smokers. But to each their own and I do what I do and they do what they do and that is a beautiful thing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Cancer patients aren't hungry after chemo. Dispensaries have a lot of people, so more business. Dispensaries have chemo patients too.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Curious why you think you need to have a serious, significant health issues??? It's not just for Cancer, you know. What about back pain?? Long term use of Motrin, Tylenol would be worse for you liver, wouldn't it?? Exactly what ill long term side effects have you experienced, or heard of, from Cannabis?? Just playing devils advocate as many downplay the positive things about cannabis. Not a user myself, but I do like to research things and outside of the mucnhies there is little evidence that proves weed is worse for you than alcohol, prescription meds, etc.
    Isn’t the premise of a MJ card a serious, qualifying medical condition in which MJ can offer relief?

I include back pain and other pain in ‘serious medical issues”, certainly not just limited to cancer.

I know of one friend with “serious back pain” who has a card. I find it curious because they frequently jump on their Harley for weekend get away cruises, and also apparently have no issues with sitting on a plane 6 hours non-stop multiple times a year going on vacation. For them, it’s not “it’s 8pm and time to take my meds”. It’s “time to get high”

I have other indelible reasons dating back ~48 years why I’m largely against it, but for someone in significant pain or discomfort who otherwise can’t gain relief, God bless them and I wish them well...

Last edited:

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    After helping my Mom go through Chemo twice I can assure you that the last thing people leaving a Chemo treatment want is a BBQ sandwich or an ice cream cone. They just want to go home and crash for the next 3 days or so and while my mom did not partake in Weed it was offered by her amazing Cancer Treatment Team as an option for restoring appetite and pain management.
    Exactly. I hope she is Doing well...

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Isn’t the premise of a MJ card a serious, qualifying medical condition in which MJ can offer relief?

I include back pain and other pain in ‘serious medical issues”, certainly not just limited to cancer.

I know of one friend with “serious back pain” who has a card. I find it curious because they frequently jump on their Harley for weekend get away cruises, and also apparently have no issues with sitting on a plane 6 hours non-stop multiple times a year going on vacation. For them, it’s not “it’s 8pm and time to take my meds”. It’s “time to get high”

I have other indelible reasons dating back ~48 years why I’m largely against it, but for someone in significant pain or discomfort who otherwise can’t gain relief, God bless them and I wish them well...

The premise of the Med card isntjust for "serious conditions" as you mentioned.....PTSD, Glaucoma, Chronic pain, etc are a few examples that wouldn't necessarily qual as serious. Pain treatment can't, and shouldn't be, lumped into one treatment category of prescription meds. I can almost 100% guarantee you that there are more people in this state who abuse prescriptions meds and alcohol then there are pot smokers. Not advocating either way, just not going to judge those who prefer alternate treatment.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County

MJ is a natural anti-inflammatory. CBD has many natural health benefits. Hemp oil (non thc) is helpful for many internal and topical uses.
    In my own family, my son, at 17, was diagnosed with crohns. The worst case his doctor had ever seen in anyone his age.
    almost a decade later, the biologic he was on, that kept him in remission, caused Hodgkin's lymphoma. MJ did help in the days following chemo. But going to gym and lifting heavy also helped greatly. So much so that he was the first patient they had ever seen gain muscle during chemo.

Ending federal prohibition will make it easier to true scientific clinical studies. But to claim, as the DEA does, that MJ is a dangerous, addictive drug, with no medical use is already provably wrong.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    The premise of the Med card isntjust for "serious conditions" as you mentioned.....PTSD, Glaucoma, Chronic pain, etc are a few examples that wouldn't necessarily qual as serious.
    Wow, while not being a medical professional, I certainly consider PTSD, Glaucoma, Chronic pain, etc. as “serious”

IDK

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nobody should have to choose between relief from a condition, or their rights. That is the BS trap that MJ cards present, just like HQLs and FOIDS being an unconstitutional infringement. It can definitely be used medicinally for a ton of things, inflammation and sore joints to insomnia, psychiatric disorders, and all the way up to end stage cancer. Of course it can mellow people out after work, or have fun socially, all while being safer than aspirin, or alcohol. It's not universally "smoked" either, edibles, tinctures, salves, oils, vaping flower, concentrates, the list goes on everything from high CBD strains to reduce inflammation up to high THC edibles that can help the worst insomniacs get a full night of sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom