• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I just got a Carcano 38 in 7.35. It seemed to function properly when I dry fired it, but when I removed the bolt and attempted to disassemble it it would not come apart. The cap on the cocking handle would not turn with the little plunger depressed.

First I thought maybe it was fouling internally and I soaked it in mineral spirits and bore cleaner. But now I realize that the cocking piece is not properly moving into place when I uncock the bolt and that the firing pin appears not to have been properly screwed into the cap on the cocking piece. I think the bolt was not properly reassembled.

It seems to work ok in the gun, but it's not right. The photos below show the bolt in both the cocked and uncocked positions, also a picture of the firing pin in the bolt head in the uncocked position, and a photo of the cocking piece where the top of the firing pin should be slightly protruding but is in fact not in the channel. Anybody have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Attachments

• Cocked Bolt!.jpg
      Cocked Bolt!.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 960
    • Uncocked bolt!.jpg
      Uncocked bolt!.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 942
    • Uncocked firing pin.jpg
      Uncocked firing pin.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 924
    • Cocking piece.jpg
      Cocking piece.jpg
      35.4 KB · Views: 859

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Just Google "Carcano bolt disassembly". You'll have lots of videos to choose from - some good and some not so much. You should be able to figure it out as the Carcano bolt doesn't seem to be that complicated.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Thanks, did that, but this bolt was not assemble correctly and so would not disassemble as it is designed to do. I did manage to get it apart with a vice and a lot of effort. When I tried to reassemble it the right way it would not go, and so I understood why it was assembled improperly--the firing pin will not slide all the way into the cocking piece and locks up in there half way. Reassemble improperly, but the only way it will go, the bolt still seems to work for dry firing, and the safely engages and releases, but... Anyway, the seller agreed to replace the bolt so I am awaiting that.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks, did that, but this bolt was not assemble correctly and so would not disassemble as it is designed to do. I did manage to get it apart with a vice and a lot of effort. When I tried to reassemble it the right way it would not go, and so I understood why it was assembled improperly--the firing pin will not slide all the way into the cocking piece and locks up in there half way. Reassemble improperly, but the only way it will go, the bolt still seems to work for dry firing, and the safely engages and releases, but... Anyway, the seller agreed to replace the bolt so I am awaiting that.

Is the bolt matched to the rifle?

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Is the bolt matched to the rifle?

No, but it is not the problem. The bolt seems to function properly in the rifle, and if fact, might well do just fine, I'm just kinda reluctant to find out by trying it with live ammo. The problem is the the parts of the bolt itself are clearly not matched with each other.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    No, but it is not the problem. The bolt seems to function properly in the rifle, and if fact, might well do just fine, I'm just kinda reluctant to find out by trying it with live ammo. The problem is the the parts of the bolt itself are clearly not matched with each other.

I only ask because if it were matching I'd rather return the rifle than swap a bolt, but if it wasn't matching to begin with a new bolt is a better idea.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I got it unscrewed with a lot of effort, but the main problem was the cocking sleeve itself. The seller sent a new (old) bolt and I took the sleeve off that bolt and put in on the bolt I had, and it fit fine. Funny too, I then tried the misfit sleeve on the just received bolt and it fit there. So now I have two functional bolts.

So I figured with a safe and functional bolt I'd try to load a clip and cycle some rounds. When I put the en bloc clip in it would not latch. After I poked around it seems the gun is missing the latch spring. I went ahead and ordered a replacement spring from Numrich along with a new latch and screw. Anybody ever replace the clip latch in a Carcano?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom