• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have one and like it, if for no other reason than its rather unknown quality. The Japanese Type I, as it is correctly referred to, was of course made by Carcano for the Japanese Navy. They didn't get a lot of use or abuse and usually are in pretty good condition. Perhaps because of the lack of use, they don't seem to generate much interest as collector items.

It fills a niche, but I'd rather have a paratroop model!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I used to have one, I passed it on in hopes of finding a better example down the road. Overall, I think they are nice rifles but shooting wise I much prefer my Type 38. That's just my own personal preference though.

$175 sounds like a pretty good deal if the condition is good. Lets see some pictures!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Looks like a nice one to me, good buy! (Saw where you got it, glad you bought it so I didn't have to!)

dre271

Dre
    Oct 9, 2011
    Howard County
    I have one that I picked up the other day, interesting rifles. Every Japanese collection should have one. I think they are under valued.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The red headed step child of the Japanese collecting community so they tend to be a little bit undervalued unless the condition is superb (and I have seen some immaculate Type Is in the past).

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Like I said, I paid $175 for one that looks to be in good shape. I figured, even if it's a dog, I really can't lose on that deal. It's missing the cleaning rod, which appears to be common with these rifles, and the rear sling swivel, which I'm hoping I can find at some point but not really worried about it. This will be more for fun/shooting than selling down the road.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I got mine from the son of the Vet who brought it back, just to fill a hole in the collection. OTOH, it included a bayonet and a marked sling. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom