Career change advice? CISCO certification?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Ok, been a teacher for 10 years in Korea, and want to move back to the USA eventually. I don't see myself in this industry in 10 years, as it is slowly dying-off due to very low birthrates in Korea (like 1.18 kids per family). Unless things change, it's estimated that 40% of schools will close over the next several years.

I'm trying to think of something I can get into and make a decent wage doing if I were to go back home. One thing a guy I know mentioned that may interest me is working with computer hardware. I love computers, love goofing around with parts/shopping for parts, etc. I enjoy helping set routers up for friends, etc... PROBLEM IS, I hate programming languages. I tried that once with Assembly and Pascal and just hated it.

As someone with no degree in computers, what do you suggest I do? A CISCO certification was mentioned, but I have no idea if that's something attainable, whether I'd be interested in it, and whether there would actually be jobs after finishing... wouldn't I need to do other certifications and actually have experience before jobs came my way?

The whole idea of dumping money on some certification, without any actual degree in computers, feels far too much like some ad for a tech school that just wants to take my money.

Looking for help on where I might start, what to consider, etc? I really appreciate it!

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I started on a help desk. Expect low wages and decent working conditions for quality OJT. If you pick things up quickly, appear to enjoy its likely you'll move up. The good thing about IT, the good ones standout quickly, and generally move up or leave for one or more of the following: More money; better [hours/commute/end users/all three]; no end users; additional challenges.

With 12+ years in the industry, I've found the different positions/companies are all pretty much the same, its the people you work with (and for) that make it a great or lousy experience. (And the money)

CCNA wouldn't hurt to get you in the door if networking interests you. There's also Microsoft, Linux, VM and many other options to chose from.
    To answer your question about certs and no exp- if you make it clear from the onset you don't have hands on, and you "think" you have a general understanding of the basics, I don't think that would hurt have them. When I interview I ask questions to verify integrity, troubleshooting process and try to get a feel for how the personality fits the remainder of the team being hired for. I can be an ass if you put something on the resume that is well beyond the skill-set of the rest of the resume.

I don't have any open entry level positions currently, but that changes. If you come back stateside, send me a PM, and I'll see what I can do.

Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    You can study for the CCNA on your own and then just take the test but I recommend taking the classes for it. I tool the first two of four parts in high school and it was very in depth but I ended up getting a business degree for the reason of not liking programming, got my associates I'm computer information systems and then got out of the computer schooling. Still like messing with computers though.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    I would do a compete evaluation of of your skill set and you might find your more qualified for more then computers . Being a teacher in Seoul you most likely know the language with some proficiency enough to possibly be a translator or a low level analyst with the 3 letter boys or some unnamed agency . Another would to look into law enforcement as your language skills could make you very marketable to areas like California, Washington state and DC just to name a few.

Stay away from schools like ITT Accutech and any other tech/ trade school as they are just a racket . I knew pretty much everything they the teacher taught just messing around with computers . The classes are mostly a teach your self from the book and a reading of test king prep questions. It is all geared to get you to pass your certifications not to teach you anything .

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    I would suggest if you can handle and plan on being a teacher for a while longer. Start working on a computer degree, its not absolutely required to work in the IT field, but it can't hurt either. I have a few years experience in IT from when I was in the military and the only thing I need to complete my resume is my degree. Currently working on it with UMUC, they have some decent programs.

Something else you might consider is looking into starting out as a technical trainer for IT and then move on into your field of choice. Might give you a leg up in some job seeking.

And I feel your pain about programming, I loathed it for years. But it comes in handy knowing a little bit about programming. :party29:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The people I know with advanced Cisco certifications built their own "labs" with surplus gears and servers and now days, VMware.

Keep in mind before you invest time and money that it's the intention of a great many dimwitted companies to got to "the cloud" so in-house technical expertise will be curtailed. If you land a job with Google or Amazon or India, you may still be able to use your knowledge.

Ditto the advice on programming. A guy I work with is very sharp on Cisco but the first time he saw a truth table for a logical operation is when I drew him one. Kind of basic stuff when you're working with access control lists and the like.

Last edited:

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    You say you hate programming. How do you feel about working from the command line on a PC? Would you like something such as a data center operations type job where you are physically installing equipment, setting base configs, replacing bad components or network operations where you then manage the equipment and troubleshoot issues?

Obviously there are places where you do it all but, just wondering what you see the CCNA leading to as it may not be the best path depending on what you want out of it.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Honestly, I don't know much about the CCNA at all. What I do know is that I love helping people fix their computer problems -- both Windows hardware and software. I literally bug my friends asking them if they need their computer fixed, need help buying one, setting-up their routers, etc.

I don't like programming. Working from command line? Not much into that. I've played with Linux, and didn't like it.

My concern is that I don't want to pursue a career in something making barely what I make (or less) than I do now. Am I wrong in thinking that the guy installing computer hardware and doing Windows maintenance/offering employees help with problems doesn't exactly pay much? I honestly don't know -- just guessing.

Teaching in Korea doesn't pay well, but low taxes and some trade-offs on living costs (don't need a car here) help me make a living. Also having a wife that makes decent money is a big plus. The future, however, is expected to go South. I'm 41, and don't want to be 51 with no marketable skills for back home. Even if I wanted to teach, I'd need a year or two schooling to get proper local certifications, anyway. Teaching at the university level is a dead-end, as schools only want to hire temps and PT'ers now to avoid benefits.

I'm really just doing some soul-searching, and have encountered something of a mid-life crisis. I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions so far!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Looking past computer stuff, do you speak Korean? If you do, you could probably make a nice career out of teaching the kids of Korean immigrants to speak English. Or start a business helping new Korean immigrants to settle in, maybe even selling real estate to them. Tons of potential there.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I speak enough Korean to get around, do basic tasks, etc., but that's it. My listening is better than my speaking, by far.

I didn't plan on being here for 10 years, and the reason I'm not home now is because the wife is scared to leave Korea and her job. I now work so many oddball hours between 9am and 9:30pm, and my wife works so much (meaning I have to be home with the 2 1/2 year-old) I wouldn't be able to find much time for a class if I wanted to take one.

Thanks for the nice suggestions, Boom Boom... kind of want to get away from the teaching side of things (teaching English, anyway).

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Honestly, I don't know much about the CCNA at all. What I do know is that I love helping people fix their computer problems -- both Windows hardware and software. I literally bug my friends asking them if they need their computer fixed, need help buying one, setting-up their routers, etc.

I don't like programming. Working from command line? Not much into that. I've played with Linux, and didn't like it.

My concern is that I don't want to pursue a career in something making barely what I make (or less) than I do now. Am I wrong in thinking that the guy installing computer hardware and doing Windows maintenance/offering employees help with problems doesn't exactly pay much? I honestly don't know -- just guessing.

Teaching in Korea doesn't pay well, but low taxes and some trade-offs on living costs (don't need a car here) help me make a living. Also having a wife that makes decent money is a big plus. The future, however, is expected to go South. I'm 41, and don't want to be 51 with no marketable skills for back home. Even if I wanted to teach, I'd need a year or two schooling to get proper local certifications, anyway. Teaching at the university level is a dead-end, as schools only want to hire temps and PT'ers now to avoid benefits.

I'm really just doing some soul-searching, and have encountered something of a mid-life crisis. I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions so far!

Cisco certifications are generally more focused on networking components like the routers and switches that inter connect computers together. There are two general tracks you can follow. CCDA and CCDP are more network design focused while CCNA and CCIE are more like hands on equipment configuration. CCIE is one of the most highly regarded certifications in this industry. There is quite a bit of command line type configuration in the CCNA / CCIE world but it's not like programming in HTML or C+.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I would suggest if you can handle and plan on being a teacher for a while longer. Start working on a computer degree, its not absolutely required to work in the IT field, but it can't hurt either. I have a few years experience in IT from when I was in the military and the only thing I need to complete my resume is my degree. Currently working on it with UMUC, they have some decent programs.

Something else you might consider is looking into starting out as a technical trainer for IT and then move on into your field of choice. Might give you a leg up in some job seeking.

And I feel your pain about programming, I loathed it for years. But it comes in handy knowing a little bit about programming. :party29:

Once you have a few years in support only University look for a degree everyone else care if you can do the job.

Thanks
    Robert

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    If you know anything about webpage design, people will pay top dollar for you to build them a webpage for their business. I had a teacher that did it on the side and said he made more money building and maintaining them then he did as a teacher.

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    If you don't like command line stuff don't go with Cisco (although the command line stuff in cisco isn't like programming). If you want to try it out grab a book, download GNS3 and give it a shot. If you don't like it you'll only be out the price of the book since GNS3 is free.

Since you like fixing boxes have you looked into the Windows certs? That might be more up your alley.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    If you don't like command line stuff don't go with Cisco (although the command line stuff in cisco isn't like programming). If you want to try it out grab a book, download GNS3 and give it a shot. If you don't like it you'll only be out the price of the book since GNS3 is free.

Since you like fixing boxes have you looked into the Windows certs? That might be more up your alley.

GNS3 is a great util if you have a powerful computer and access to the various Cisco IOS's. The command line interface is overwhelming at first, but a lot that become proficient with it prefer that method of administration. I generally interact with my workstations with a ton of quick keys, and lots of tabs/ shift-tabs, etc.

Honestly, look in to a geek squad or similar position. Pay will start - my guess is low-mid 30's. Assuming your good, you'll move up, or move on in 9-12 months and figure the next 2 years in the 40-50's.

Get a clearance (assuming our gov still exists) and add 15-20k.

I'd stay away from Cisco certs if your interest is more on the workstations/support side of the house. It won't hurt to understand VLAN's, or the OSI layers, based on what you've said, this wouldn't be the path you're talking. They will help with troubleshooting and having a better view of the whole process, from the keyboard to the screen to the network and how it ALL interacts.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    Like troubleshooting windows, hates command prompts?

Well.. might want to go the microsoft server certification route then. Pay isn't as good as the Cisco certs, but it sounds more like the kind of work you'd enjoy. Dive deep into Active directory and exchange server and consider that route.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    If you want a cert to move you forward...look into ITIL and the Microsoft ITP cert. These are helpdesk certs to push you along. I would go Security instead. High level security deals in the same way that helpdesk does - at least in my experience.

Also, a great resource for studying is http://ankisrs.net Check it out.

O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    If you're interested in the Construction Industry then many construction/design/engineering companies in S.Korea are vying for international jobs, since you know the culture and probably some of the language you could sell your services as a liaison between S.Korean companies and their English speaking counterparts.
    Also many construction companies Stateside (Turner, Skanska, Jacobs, etc) are looking for people familiar with the S.Korean culture to be the bridge between them and bidding for projects in S.Korea.

Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom