• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I have an early 40's P-38 my great uncle brought back from WWII. It's in pretty good shape and I'm keeping in in the safe with a light coating of oil. My question is: What is the best way to store and preserve the holster? It looks like it's been rode hard and put to be wet, but doesn't seem to be dry rotted.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have an early 40's P-38 my great uncle brought back from WWII. It's in pretty good shape and I'm keeping in in the safe with a light coating of oil. My question is: What is the best way to store and preserve the holster? It looks like it's been rode hard and put to be wet, but doesn't seem to be dry rotted.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you use 100% pure neatsfoot oil? I'm no expert on this subject, but I thought this was the best oil to use for leather such as this holster. Correct me if I'm wrong.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Saddle soap to clean it, shoe polish to bring back the color, metal parts can be cold or rust blued if appropriate, it will look as good as new when you are done

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    If you go with neats foot oil, make sure it's 100% pure. The compound stuff has petroleum additives that will rot thread and eventually break down the leather fibers.

When I was caring for all my reenacting accoutrement leather, I cleaned it with saddle soap, preserved it with mink oil and used Kiwi shoe polish. Ballistol is also good for leather, and wood, and steel too.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I collect old military knives and have a few leather sheaths from WWI and WWII. I've always been told to leave the old leather alone and not put anything on it like oil, wax, soaps, or other products. They can cause old leather to darken, crack, and/or disintegrate. There are some products out there made especially for restoring antique leather but I've never tried them. Trying to restore old leather could end up making it worse if you don't do it just right or you don't use the right products.
    Good luck.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    On a couple of other boards that have big time collectors, I was advised to use Pecard's Antique Leather care. I bought a tub of it several years ago and still have about half. It has worked very well bringing back old leather. I use it on holsters and all types of slings. It will darken the leather, especically if its old and dry.

Whatever you do, do not use Neatsfoot compound products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom